More Soccer Bashin' on the Net!

Desigol

Hey thanks for the site, it's funny.

I remember watching one stand up comedian and his line of "What's more exciting than watching a 1-0 soccer game with only 4 hours to go"

I propose an NBA sucks site. "Why are you guys screamimg over one basket? We're gonna see 200 more!"...."What the ..... each team scored a hundred points and we need a freakin' time out with 8 tenths of a second left to draw up a winning play!"

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I love basketball... and soccer.. can we just have a group hug and be over with it :)

Ah c'mon let's start a thread on the sport we dislike the most. I rule out cricket, rugby, netball and men's field hockey (cuz men shouldn't be seen playing field hockey. It's a behind closed doors kinda game) because the games make no sense. Oh yeah and Aussie Rules Football.

Make fun of Baseball as it is the most American of "activities". I saw a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley field and the only time Sammy Sosa exerted any sort of physical energy was when he ran out onto the field at the beginning. He struck out 3 times and "walked". Oooh there's an exciting play. It was a nice ball park though. People stayed 9 hours to watch them complete a rain delayed game.

Let's bash an "activity" where eating and chewing tobacco on the sidelines (or even in the game) is considered part of the game. How often does the average Baseball player break a sweat? I guess that all depends on the temperature of the day. And apparently you need to take steroids to be successfull. Hand-eye coordination has got nothing to do with it.

Watching baseball live in a nice stadium is great, especially afternoon games during "the dog days of summer". It's not supposed to be this intensely disputed crammed action. There ARE 162 games, after all.

And for my money, nothing matches sporting storytelling on television when it's the baseball playoffs (and World Series) on FOX. Great, GREAT stuff. Suspense and story.

Think most sports are way, way better live. Especially baseball, and more especially motorsports.

I've always thought it odd how this sport or that sport can appeal to a certain person and not another. Can't stand baseball, live or otherwise. Nor NFL football. Too much standing around as far as I'm concearned. Way too much standing around. But I'll watch curling and cricket, so go figure.

NFL football would be infinately way better if they'd just speed the play clock up. Like a 20 second play clock would totaly change the game down there for the better. (Kinda like the faceoffs at the Olympic hockey tourny in SLC. Ready to go? No? Tough. Or the automatic icings. Why prick around? It's icing already.)

Baseball dosen't appeal to me. End of story. Any sport where pro atheletes can play a double header on the same day and still not need a shower after it's all said and done dosen't sell in my books.

I totally forgot, NASCAR does rock.

"Man, did you see that? Jeff Gordon turned left. Oh my god he did it again. What an outstanding performance Bob."

"Yes Al, he sure stepped on that gas pedal hard and it made the car go vroom. And he's only got 1000 more left turns to go."

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Ah c'mon let's start a thread on the sport we dislike the most. I rule out cricket, rugby, netball and men's field hockey (cuz men shouldn't be seen playing field hockey. It's a behind closed doors kinda game) because the games make no sense. Oh yeah and Aussie Rules Football.

I love Aussie Rules! Some of the Catches are awsome! :D

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

Make fun of Baseball as it is the most American of "activities". I saw a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley field and the only time Sammy Sosa exerted any sort of physical energy was when he ran out onto the field at the beginning. He struck out 3 times and "walked". Oooh there's an exciting play. It was a nice ball park though. People stayed 9 hours to watch them complete a rain delayed game.

Let's bash an "activity" where eating and chewing tobacco on the sidelines (or even in the game) is considered part of the game. How often does the average Baseball player break a sweat? I guess that all depends on the temperature of the day. And apparently you need to take steroids to be successfull. Hand-eye coordination has got nothing to do with it.

Alot of that is true, but I disagree with your main point. Baseball is not the most American sport. How can you say that? Its played in several other countries in a virtually identical manner.

NBA is the most American sport because it doesn't even resemble "real" basketball. There's virtually no passing, and even dribbling is becoming more and more optional it seems (do they ever call travelling?). Add to that the artificial stadium atmosphere/noise, the numerous timeouts (which you can call even in the middle of a play), the fact that every-game is 88-88 with 2:00 remaining (just like your 1.5-star Hollywood action-flik), the cheerleaders, the intentional fouls (a penalty is good? [:0]), the plastic fans (wearing a shirt of one team and a cap of another) and those ridiculous exhibitions (like the dunk-competition).

If you ever get a chance to see real basketball (European or Argentinean) then you can see how much the NBA trashed the sport in an attempt to make it appealing to the American sports fan ... an idea which worked. What a shock that it didn't work in Vancouver. [8)]

Archived