CPSL: The End Is Near

leekoo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CPSL needs permission to operate in Ontario from the OSA; or at least the players that play on non-pro teams do. That permission was granted.

They operate in the professional grouping of teams in Ontario and will still be called the CPSL.

Some of the teams didn't qualify in this application for various reasons at the February meeting and so they were excluded at this time.The Women's division of the CPSL was not approved and seems questionable.

THE SKY IS FALLING!

The CPSL needs permission to operate in Ontario from the OSA; or at least the players that play on non-pro teams do. That permission was granted.

They operate in the professional grouping of teams in Ontario and will still be called the CPSL.

Some of the teams didn't qualify in this application for various reasons at the February meeting and so they were excluded at this time.The Women's division of the CPSL was not approved and seems questionable.

THE SKY IS FALLING!

This is so fcuked-up that it doesn't make any sense of having a league after-all. How could the CPSL continue with 5-team only??? The league is better-off dead than to continue play for 2005 season. Or else, the CPSL could declare total independence from the OSA (as an independent governing body), for the benefit of both the men and women's league. I wish Stan Adamson could post some updates here on Voyageur with regards to this whole matter because I am having serious problems of understanding this whole entire bull-$$hit. This is insane!!!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by jay2008

So may were rejected as they did not meet osa requirements.

Still Jay, this is so retarded that what's the point of having a league after-all. There's now 5-team only remaining in the CPSL. If I was Vince Ursini, I would simply pull the plug on the whole league. The only one to blame here is the OSA for their narrow thinking and short-sighted mediocrity.

I agree with you 100% i still think there is alot of questions.

1)How come this went on so long before the osa took action.This has been going on for years the osa should have said at one point to the teams and league you have so long to get your house in order.

2)Why does the cpsl keep so much of this hush hush not just this but expanson league news etc.

3)With laval not getting approved i still don't get there were in the cpsl and the osa did not say anything and now they can't enter the league.

I can not seeing them move on with 5 teams what could happen is teams like london and windors could sue.Saying if this was known mponths ago they could have appled to get in other leagues.People you thinks its bad now well its about to get much worse.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Still Jay, this is so retarded that what's the point of having a league after-all. There's now 5-team only remaining in the CPSL. If I was Vince Ursini, I would simply pulled the plug in the league. The only one to blame here is the OSA.

Canadian soccer seems so reminiscent of Yugoslavia. It is so fragmented. Like a jigsaw puzzle. Nobody wants to form any alliances. They all want to do it their way. What we lack, for the I don't know how manyith time, is strong leadership at the top, the CSA. Look how well Yugoslavia functioned under Tito, a man with an iron grip, who wasn't perfect (but then who is?) yet all the people of that country respected him. For those who knock Tito, take a look at what has happened to that country and its people since the end of Tito reign. The only thing Kevan Pipe keeps together is his job. Heaven forbid that he steps in and tries to intervene in this Ontario/Quebec (CPSL) crisis situation and takes whatever measures are necessary to save one of the few Canadian soccer structures we have. Hell no. It's not Kevan's problem. It's the OSA's problem. It's the CPSL's problem. But it's not Kevan Pipe's CSA problem. He doesn't know what to do beyond holding his hand out for money, because FIFA says he can. No any form of soccer in Canada is not Kevan Pipe's problem. Canada really needs a Tito. A man who cares about Canada and its soccer.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

OK, time to do the math. Now, I have it on good authority that there are to be 10 home dates (so 20 game sched) this season.

So, Supra, Metro, Croatia, Brampton and Laval (who weren't in the league last year anyways) are out.

This leaves a 7 teams remaining (of course, not knowing if anyone else is out) right now: Hamilton Thunder, Vaughan Shooters, Windsor Border Stars, London City, St. Catharines Wolves, North York Astros, Durham Storm, which leaves us with 7 remaining clubs.

I figure there are between 1 or 4 new teams. If there's 1, there will be two conferences (east/west or whatever) where you play teams in conference 4 times (12 games), out of conference twice (8 games). If there's 4, then one conference, playing twice against all teams.

An 8 team loop isn't that bad. It's not like it's 5 clubs left. Thoughts? Feelings?

quote:Originally posted by Robert

The only thing Kevan Pipe keeps together is his job. Heaven forbid that he steps in and tries to intervene in this Ontario/Quebec (CPSL) crisis situation and takes whatever measures are necessary to save one of the few Canadian soccer structures we have. Hell no. It's not Kevan's problem. It's the OSA's problem. It's the CPSL's problem. But it's not Kevan Pipe's CSA problem. He doesn't know what to do beyond holding his hand out for money, because FIFA says he can. No any form of soccer in Canada is not Kevan Pipe's problem. Canada really needs a Tito. A man who cares about Canada and its soccer.

Kevan Pipe!!!!!!! Are you mad!!!!!! That will be the day that this lazy bastard gets off his a$$$ and does something for Canadian soccer. I don't expect much from him. Pipe is the most useless guy that Canadian soccer has ever introduced into its administrative operations. Pipe had a chance to help the provincial leagues by introducing an open-cup tournament. Unfortunately this whole project was abandoned and betrayed by Pipe. Pipe has done more damage than good.

Hamilton Steelers offers some interesting points. It would be great news if some form of the league could continue to operate.

In response, the only (still ongoing) thoughts I have is trying figure out what criteria was used to kick out the Toronto Supra and Toronto Croatia teams, from a league that they had an instrumental part in founding and developing.

Do these two really lack the basic infrastucture required to run a semi-pro team (doubtful) or is this just political power games at work here? The silence about offering any clear details leaves much to wonder.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

No doubt. The lack of information (criteria to be a semi-pro side, reasons for their removal, response from the CPSL, response from the OSA) is rather suspect. I can only imagine what Toronto Croatia, who have been a soccer fixture for 40+ years, have done differently such that the OSA is not granting them their approval/blessing as a participant. (besides I had a new song for them this year...)

I hope it hasn't come down to politics, but this is part of the Canadian footballing infrastructure so I shouldn't be terribly shocked if this is the case.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Kevan Pipe!!!!!!! Are you mad!!!!!! That will be the day that this lazy bastard gets off his a$$$ and does something for Canadian soccer. I don't expect much from him. Pipe is the most useless guy that Canadian soccer has ever introduced into its administrative operations. Pipe had a chance to help the provincial leagues by introducing an open-cup tournament. Unfortunately this whole project was abandoned and betrayed by Pipe. Pipe has done more damage than good.

If there were only more like you Luis, then maybe we'd have a chance to get rid of this lazy bastard. Our country is experiencing problems and this traitor does nothing. He should be shot!

According to an OSA rep that posted on the Ontario Soccer Talk Forums (http://oswforums.getgame.ca)...

"On the CPSL Men's side, any teams not approved (at this time) are due to incomplete requirements. The same applied to teams in the other Provincial Leagues.

On the CPSL Women's side, no application has been submitted by the CPSL yet so there is no decision (at this time) for the OSA to make."

I think the key phrase is 'at this time'. This may just be some posturing...

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

According to an OSA rep that posted on the Ontario Soccer Talk Forums (http://oswforums.getgame.ca)...

"On the CPSL Men's side, any teams not approved (at this time) are due to incomplete requirements. The same applied to teams in the other Provincial Leagues.

if so why does the paperwork of a professional league remain outstanding ... and why is the application of this supposed women's league in dispute ...

at this time the clock says it's the end of february ...

Interesting to note that Vince Ursini, president and chairman of the CPSL is part of the Ontario Soccer Association establishment as OSA Finance Committee Chairman. He is also being nominated by the OSA for the position as treasurer of the CSA. Can't be too much conflict between him in his CPSL capacity and the OSA. There is obviously much more to this latest CPSL/OSA thing than any of us is aware of, we can only speculate. All will become clear in due course I'm sure.

I think everyone has blown this completely out of proportion!

The 5 clubs were rejected because their local affiliation to their associations were not in place as of yet. All 5 of those teams will be playing when the season starts, but their applications did not coincide with the OSA's meeting, thus the current rejection. The same applies to Laval, as they need to apply to their local association in their region of Quebec.

Guys, you need to relax! But it is good to see the passion, not only for the sport but for the league!

As an outside observer, it seems to me that we are making a little bit too much of this resolution as well.

The President of the OSA, Colin Linford, has told me himself (and that he wold have no problem with my echoing it here)in Septemeber that he is an unabashed and public supporter of the CPSL and Ursini. I suspect that goes for most of the OSA membership and board. But, unlike a lot of the CSA, Linford is a stickler for detail, so I'm sure the explanation of ramp, whoever he/she is, is correct.

It'll be business as usual come spring in the CPSL, I'm sure, and then we can get on with dealing with the real pros and cons concerning the CPSL and the way it does business.

Archived