Racism at Northern Ireland vs. Canada

CanadianSoccerFan

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

There's a thread on the Irish forum about racist chanting at the game. Fans at the game reported seeing and hearing it. Really disappointing that this kind of thing is still happening

Yeah, but it was isolated to a few jerks, who were chastised by the full majority. The Northern Irish fans were very classy in the main. This is clear from the thread, and the fact is that it was not noticed by the players or most of the others in Windsor Park. As bad as it is when anyone acts like a jerk, this is hardly a major issue. Not to belittle racism, as it is never acceptable, but Northern Ireland has really come a long way from it's troubled racist and sectarian past, and it is far better there then in most of the world. The true story is how much the few racists were effectively shooshed, and how gentlemanly the local Catholics, Protestants and others treated each other.

Sorry if this is a response to another evil reincarnation of you-know-who, but I don't want our Norn Irish friends looking here to think that Canadians are out to lunch. They have raised and dealt with the issue properly all by themselves.

You OWC supporters are classy, and best of luck against England!

:(

It was a few individuals... but a few individuals too many.

They deserve to be ejected immediately and never allowed to watch another N.Ireland game ever - sc*m of the highest order. We don't need 'supporters' like this.

I'm sure our very own Jeff Whitley (one of his parents was from Zambia) would be delighted. :( Racism has no place in any walk of society...

We have made huge strides over the past few years, with the aid of the 'Football For All' campaign but this shows that there is still work to do.

Thanks for your support and apologies

toddy

I think it's better than it used to be. At least in todays game it gets noticed. Not even 20 years ago, it was everywhere and nobody said a damn thing and the media rarely cared. Racists in the stands are fighting a losing battle and it won't be long before thier gone.

It's just a bunch of tanked up losers that are tough guys because of their liquid courage combined with power in numbers. Take either part of that out of the equation and they're just toothless losers who have nothing to say.

On another note, I read the thread and their "USA" chant after we scored is hilarious. A creative bunch those Irish are.

Alex

Northern Ireland has strong passionate support, yet it wouldn't

stand for any racist B.S. whatsoever. The incident was unfortunate

and not indicative of its supporters or people.

As for the "USA, USA" chant, wouldn't it just make Canadians

more determined than ever?;)

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Guess that's what seperates me (it's not just talk).

Anyway, if you stand up and say something the guy 4 rows over will stand up and say 'Yah!' Then the 2 guys over there. Suddenly there's 10 of you and only half are drunk.

Really, if people wanna stop this, that is the solution.

Damn, are we starting The War on Racism? Should we form a Coalition of the Drunk and Willing? ;)

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Didn't mean to sound like a crusader, but it really is good to speak up. I just finished reading Joey Keithly's autobiography 'I (S)hithead' so I'm all full of creamy goodness.

Speaking of "creamy goodness," didn't I see you post something recently along these lines, punctuated with a "[:P]"? My goodness, what a gay old rollicking town Calgary has become. ;)

Can't wait until the next time we see you. This time, WE drench the Costa Rican fans in beer and THEY go to jail.

Forza CurrentChamp!

Archived