Duo sharpen soccer skills with Croatian squad

Jarrek

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS

Duo sharpen soccer skills with Croatian squad

The Mississauga News

Jan 26, 2005

Mississauga soccer players Tomislav Pavicic and Christopher Lecko, both 15, will be in Porec, Croatia until the end of this month to train with the Croatian national under-16 team.

This past season, Pavicic, a 5-foot-10, 145-pound sweeper, captained the Mississauga Croatia Soccer Club's under-16 team in the South Region Soccer League.

Lecko, a 6-foot-1, 170-pound centre back/midfielder, toiled for the Dixie 89'ers under-16 squad in the Ontario Youth Soccer League's (OYSL) Premier Division.

The duo were teammates at Mississauga Croatia until Lecko left for Dixie before the 2003 season.

This will be Pavicic's third soccer stint in Croatia. Two years ago he was part of the MCSC under-14 boys team that toured there. Last year he got to train with the Croatian national under-15 squad in Zagreb.

"I want to get out there and get myself known," said Pavicic, a Grade 10 student at Mentor College who's been with MC-SC for 10 seasons.

MCSC under-16 team manager Marinko Saric said diligence and skill are Pavicic's attributes.

"Tommy is very serious and dedicated -- he practices hard," Saric said. "He has a strong shot, covers a lot of field and is very agile."

Lecko was an integral part of his Dixie team that finished second in the OYSL and won the Ontario Cup and OYSL League Cup. He's with the Canadian national under-18 training program and played for the Ontario provincial under-16 side last summer.

For Lecko this will be his first trip to Croatia.

"I'm very excited -- big time," said the Grade 10 student at St. Marcellinus Secondary School in Mississauga. "My dream is to become a professional. Ball control and ball movement are my strengths. I have to work on tempo and they (Croatian soccer) play a faster tempo game."

Pavicic's father Joe's extensive contacts in the Croatian national soccer federation helped the two boys get the invite this year. Pavicic and Lecko will leave for Croatia on Wednesday. The $1,000 airfare is the only expenditure. The Croatian soccer federation will cover accommodation and food.

MCSC president Anton Jelic said this is a good coup for the duo and his club.

"They will get excellent training there. Croatia is a top-20 team in FIFA (International Soccer Federation) and their under-19 and under-18 teams do well in global competition," Jelic said.

Good on them for going over for the exposure, and their parents for paying the airfare. This is an opportunity for them and they are taking it.

As 15 year olds, born in 89, they were eligible for inclusion in the 1989 team that recently went to the Caribbean, but I guess coach Stephen Hart did not pick them.

In my soccer-playing experience, I have never heard a single Croatian kid--or parent--say they want to play for Canada. No need to start the obvious debate, and I am not saying some Croatian kids would NOT play for Canada if they had the chance, but I would not be surprised one bit if they opted to play their international football with Croatia.

All the same, best of wishes to these lads, though ultimately I could give a rat's ass. (Yes, I AM getting bitter. Time to roll a fattie, I think.)

Leave it to beaver to forget Nick Dasovic, a Canadian Croatian kid from BC, who proudly wore the maple leaf.

Nick's dad volunteered countless hours helping amateur soccer in Vancouver.

Even though they are proud Canadaians they would still say that Canadian soccer pales in comparison to Croatian soccer.

Perhaps they are proud to be Canadian and embarassed we haven't done better up till now.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

.........in FIFA (International Soccer Federation) and their under-19 and under-18 teams do well in global competition," Jelic said.

Hmmm..Really????

I don't think that Croatia U20 team ever qualified for the U20 WC. Nor do I think that their U17 team ever has either.

I've never forgotten about Dasovic and Jazic (or even Johnny Sultenic). I am aware that a few Croatians have opted to play for us. But in my experience, I know of very few Croatian kids who say they want to play for Canada, and know of even fewer Croatian parents--the same ones who immigrated to Canada for a better life--who want their kids to play for Canada. Hey, like Fox news, I just report it, you decide what to make from it. ;)

Archived