U-20 Qualifying Final Roster Announced

Massive Attack

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Mitchell Announces Youth Qualifying Roster

Ottawa, Ontario – Men’s Youth (U-20) Team Head Coach Dale Mitchell today announced his 18-player roster for CONCACAF Under-20 Final Round Qualifying from January 26-30, 2005 in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

Canada will be looking to qualify for their third consecutive FIFA World Youth Championship when they compete in Group B against host Honduras, Jamaica, and Mexico. The top two teams in the group will qualify for the 2005 FIFA World Youth (U-20) Championships from June 10 – July 2, 2005 in the Netherlands.

In the forward position, Mitchell has named Will Johnson (Chicago Sockers, USA), Riley O’Neill (University of Kentucky, NCAA), Julian Paolo Uccello (Savona Calcio, Italy), and Cam Wilson (Bristol City FC, England) to lead the attack for Canada.

The midfield will consist of Marcel De Jong (Helmond Sport, Netherlands), Ryan Gyaki (Sheffield United FC, England), Jaime Peters (Ipswich Town FC, England), Tyler Rosenlund (UC Santa Barbara, NCAA), Mike D’Agostino (University of Kentucky, NCAA), and Carlo Schiavoni (unattached).

In defence, Mitchell has chosen Nikolas Ledgerwood (1860 Munich, Germany), Andrew Hainault (Montreal Impact, USL First Division), Simon Kassaye (unattached), Vince Stewart (Simon Fraser University, NAIA), Brad Peetoom (Syracuse University, NCAA), and Graham Ramalho (FC Groningen, Netherlands).

Goalkeepers Asmir Begovic (Portsmouth FC, England) and Joshua Wagenaar (Hartwick College, NCAA) have been chosen.

Peters of Pickering, Ontario has already earned five World Cup qualifying appearances with the senior squad. Peters recently joined Ipswich Town FC in the English League Championship.

Ledgerwood of Lethbridge, AB and Wagenaar of Grimsby, ON were on Mitchell’s roster for the 2003 World Youth Championship UAE.

“The boys have worked very hard during the past six weeks to prepare for the tournament,” said Mitchell.

“We know there will be three tough opponents for us here in Honduras who will also be fighting very hard to go to Holland. For us, it is a matter of producing three good performances in five days.”

Canada has qualified for six FIFA World Youth Championships with their best performance occurring in 2003 in the United Arab Emirates when they reached the quarterfinals. Canada won their first CONCACAF U-20 Title in Trinidad & Tobago in 1986 and 10 years later (1996) claimed their second crown in Mexico.

The USA and Panama were the first two CONCACAF representatives to qualify for the 2005 tournament after finishing first and second respectively in the U-20 Group A Qualification held at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California from January 12-16, 2005.

In August, Canada was awarded the 2007 World Youth Championship. A total of six cities will co-host the Youth Championship, including Edmonton and Toronto, as well as four additional cities to be selected on May 4, 2005.

2005 CONCACAF U20 Qualifying - FINAL ROUND*

Group B – San Pedro Sula, HONDURAS; Estadio Francisco Morazan

MEXICO – CANADA (17:30)

HONDURAS – JAMAICA (20:00)

JAMAICA – MEXICO (17:30)

HONDURAS – CANADA (20:00)

CANADA – JAMAICA (15:30)

HONDURAS – MEXICO (18:00)

* Top two teams from each group qualify to 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship

Qualifying Roster

# Pos. Name Club DOB Hometown Prov

1 GK WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College (NCAA) 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

2 D STEWART, Vince Simon Fraser University (NAIA) 21-Jan-86 Delta BC

3 D LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

4 D HAINAULT, Andrew Montreal Impact 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

5 D KASSAYE, Simon unattached 19-May-85 Edmonton AB

6 M SCHIAVONI, Carlo unattached 19-Aug-85 Lachine QC

7 M PETERS, Jaime Ipswich Town FC (England) 04-May-87 Pickering ON

8 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

9 M GYAKI, Ryan Sheffield United FC (England) 06-Dec-85 Calgary AB

10 F JOHNSON, Will Chicago Sockers (USA) 21-Jan-87 Woodridge IL

11 M DE JONG, Marcel Helmond Sport (Netherlands) 15-Oct-86 Toronto ON

12 F O'NEILL, Riley University of Kentucky (NCAA) 09-Sep-85 Campbell River BC

13 M D'AGOSTINO, Mike University of Kentucky (NCAA) 07-Jan-87 Langley BC

14 F WILSON, Cam Bristol City FC (England) 21-Aug-86 Delta BC

15 D PEETOOM, Brad Syracuse University (NCAA) 02-Mar-86 Abbotsford BC

16 D RAMALHO, Graham FC Groningen (Netherlands) 12-Jan-86 Calgary AB

17 F UCCELLO, Julian Paolo Savona Calcio (Italy) 30-Oct-86 Woodbridge ON

22 GK BEGOVIC, Asmir Portsmouth FC (England) 20-Jun-87 Edmonton AB

Staff

BARRETT, Angus - Head of Delegation

MITCHELL, Dale - Head Coach - U20 Men

DASOVIC, Nick - Assistant Coach

MULDOON, Kevin - Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CAMPBELL, Mike - Doctor

CANNON, Eddie - Athletic Therapist

COCHRANE, Earl - National Teams Manager

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2018

Well "Mister" Canso was Correct a surprise I must say 4 - 5- 1 it seems the line against Mexico is set

1 GK WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College (NCAA) 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

2 D STEWART, Vince Simon Fraser University (NAIA) 21-Jan-86 Delta BC

3 D LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

4 D HAINAULT, Andrew Montreal Impact 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

5 D KASSAYE, Simon unattached 19-May-85 Edmonton AB

6 M SCHIAVONI, Carlo unattached 19-Aug-85 Lachine QC

7 M PETERS, Jaime Ipswich Town FC (England) 04-May-87 Pickering ON

8 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

9 M GYAKI, Ryan Sheffield United FC (England) 06-Dec-85 Calgary AB

10 F JOHNSON, Will Chicago Sockers (USA) 21-Jan-87 Woodridge IL

11 M DE JONG, Marcel Helmond Sport (Netherlands) 15-Oct-86 Toronto ON

Interesting that 6 of the 18 are from BC, 5 from Alberta , 4 from Ontario and 2 from Quebec. At the younger age groups, eg U16 and U17, the Canadian teams have fewer BC and Alberta players and many more from Quebec and Ontario.

Three of the BC players were relatively late additions to the roster, (Wilson, Stewart and D'Agostino). They must have impressed Mitchell in the last camp. Peetboom wasn't included in the latest training camp in Florida, but he must have made a positive impression in the earlier camps to get selected to the final 18.

Well, I think he only went that way in the final game against Spain last time. I think Dale adjusts his formations depending on the opposition, as was demonstrated in the last U20 WC.

I do not think that 4-5-1 is carved in stone. Dale also used a 4-4-2 and tried a 4-3-3. He is also quick to change if things aren't working witness his removal of Wyn Belotte after 15 minutes vs. the Czechs.

He beat the US using a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 depending how you look at it with Wyn, Hume and Lemire up front.

So in answer to your question, I think Dale will use the formation he believes will win, and be quick to change if things aren't working. Sorry to be so wishy-washy.

By the way. Too bad about Edgar. I am sure he was being counted on heavily given he was on the last U20 team.

"Sorry to be so wishy-washy."

No apology needed. It's all just groping in the dark anyways, since we'll never actually witness firsthand what the team and players look like, given the perpetual Sportsnet blackout.

Maybe it's just a blackout mood, but I'm thinking a 4-4-2 setup now, Gyaki to start in a defensive role with a mandate to kick some lumps out of some Mexican shins. Leave Peeters on the bench and he can do his headless chicken routine some other time. Slow the game down, stifle the flow and hit 'em on the set pieces with Andrew "El Grand Cabeza" Hainault! Good old fashioned Canadian soccer!

The CSA website now has a special report on how the viewing figures for the World Youth Cup in 2003 were outstanding.

"The numbers reflect a 60% increase in global cumulative audience compared to 2001 which achieved 308 million viewers."

No doubt they anticipate a windfall in 2007 when Canada hosts, but it's pretty poor timing! They also neglected to mention that Canada was televised only once in this country and only after a storm of requests convinced Sportsnet to pick up the feed for the Spain match.

I think it's time for an e-mail blitz to Sportsnet to get the qualifiers televised!

The talent definately exists here in Quebec, as players from here show up later in the program Olympic and National Team.

The elite coaches are lacking. Some of them don't even get paid and without that how can you get the right people to evalute the talent and develop it? The cream doesn't always rise to the top by itself.

I think we are on the path towards developing players consistantly at a younger age, but we aren't there yet.

I watched the Quebec U14 and U16 teams win golds at the 2005 national championships, beating BC, Ontario and Alberta in the process, so I have been assuming the talent and coaching is there. Thats why having only 2 players from Quebec on the U20 team is a surprise. Perhaps QSA put most of its resources behind the players and coaches in the U14 and U16 age group.

I watched the Quebec U14 and U16 teams win golds at the 2005 national championships, beating BC, Ontario and Alberta in the process, so I have been assuming the talent and coaching is there. Thats why having only 2 players from Quebec on the U20 team is a surprise. Perhaps QSA put most of its resources behind the players and coaches in the U14 and U16 age group.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

From what I understand most of the players from Quebec that play at the Provincial level do not have citizeanship. This could be the problem

From what I understand most of the players from Quebec that play at the Provincial level do not have citizeanship. This could be the problem

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

No Hughes, Lalli, Edgar or Lombardo. These are pretty big losses!

Lombardo and Edgar are injuried, Dylan (just when you thought he would finally be capped) Hughes is sick. Anyone know what the word is on Lalli?

Well if Edgar, Lalli and Lombardo were available then Ontario would have had 7 selections

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

No Hughes, Lalli, Edgar or Lombardo. These are pretty big losses!

Lombardo and Edgar are injuried, Dylan (just when you thought he would finally be capped) Hughes is sick. Anyone know what the word is on Lalli?

Well if Edgar, Lalli and Lombardo were available then Ontario would have had 7 selections

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

According to a Neil Davidson article posted in the other thread, Lombardo wasn't released by his club Atalanta for the qualifiers, so it sounds like we wouldn't have been able to use him even if he was healthy.

The release provisions in the FIFA regs (5 days before extra-continental competions) apply to U-20 qualifiers (see Article 36, paragraph 2 b "and of other competitions organised by the confederations, provided these competitions lead to qualification for a FIFA competition").

http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/regulationlegal/0,1577,2,00.html

Either there was a practical issue about release from the club, or Mitchell wanted Davidson to soften the blow of being cut in the very competitive competition for the attacking positions and to give Lombardo some assurance that he was still on the radar.

Are you talking about the Quebec elite team (the team that represents Quebec)? They have the coaches needed and they are compensated for their services.

However, I was talking about the local elite clubs within quebec, I know that only recently coaches are are being compensated (paid) for coaching at this level. Due to this, you may not always get the best.

I also know that more local clubs are paying their coahces to coach their elite teams. But was was not the case in the past.

Archived