Roma hooligans show their ugly heads ...

Jarrek

Unfortunatly I'd hate to see the fans and club punished for the actions of the minority. Buttttt , the club ultimatly has to accept responsibility. I agree with Dynimo Kiev . Roma forfiets the 3 points and Roma home games for the remainder of UEFA CLUB CUP(S) this year should be played at a neutral site . Mr Frisk certainly should be able to refuse any assignments at this venue .AS Roma & UEFA should hope Mr. Frisk doesn't seek financial compensation for not being able to carry out his vocation in a safe and secure atmosphere.

As much as we sometimes get frustrated by refereeing . They are only doing a job . One which they must enjoy or they wouldn't put up with the constant criticisim.

It seems things are a little behind in Italy, as there were frequent pitch invasions especially on the last day of the season. I seem to remember a lot 2 years ago, but were there any last season?

Along with those, the Livorno incident, the moped incident last summer in Milan, the Roma chaos last year, and the others i've forgotten, it seems like Italy is headed down a steep slope. Maybe it is time for the FIGC and UEFA to ban teams; not just for financial irregularity but for fan violence.

From my own experience, last season i went to the first game of the season in Perugia, versus Siena, which have no known violence or rivalries, (against Perugia) and the police presence was unreal. Stadale, or state police, was out in force, before the game, i must have passed 25 or 30 full police buses. I left a bit early, so i had to pass through 3 checkpoints just to leave the grounds of the stadium. My passport was checked by gun toting member of the carabineri all three times, and i was questioned three times why i was leaving (to catch a train) early, and why i was alone and not with a group.

Fortunately my honest looking face (i think it was that) was allowed to pass and none to soon as the Brigate Rossi or the Perugia ultras were leaving just as i passed through the last exit. Had they seen my Juventus bag, (after the problems 3 years ago on the final day) i would have had some problems...

Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of fan passion, but the problems in Italy are getting to the point of England in the 80s and that is a damn shame. It is going to be a catastrophy before the FIGC gets its act together.

quote:Originally posted by Billy the Bluenose

How can people be so scummy? Would any Celtic or Roma fans here care to comment?

Wow. Guilty twice in one sentence. Well, not that guilty. Don't watch nearly as much Italian football as I used to.

How about.... Some people are stupid. Some people are young. Some are both. Dought very much there are any Saints in Waiting on this board either.

Not suggesting it's okay to send anything harder than a warm beer in the ref's direction though.

And you'd be surprised how far an object can be sent flying if one had say, oh I don't know, a fairly heavy duty but easily concealable wrist rocket, and a small projectile with a bit of weight. Like as has been suggested, a lighter. Even the disposable kind. Those little plastic toys you get at McDonalds. A 9 volt camera battery. Endless potential of ordenance, realy. And all more than capable of opening up a scalp for a dozen or more, putting out an eye, or otherwise having the desired criminal result.

I think it's a good thing that most fans (as rabid as some are) are more than willing to rat out the sort of twits who hurl objects onto the pitch to the security staff. Whether it's at the ref, enemy player or whoever.

It's the goalkeepers I feel most sorry for. Boy, have they got it rough.

English hooliganism was rife in the 80s but it isnt restricted solely to that period. Just look at the problems faced by the Portugese authorities at this years European Championship when dealing with Englands large hooligan contingent.

This is the most recent event i can think of where English hooliganism reared its ugly head but i'm pretty sure that it wont be the last time either.

scum is scum is scum

The whole Roma affair is reminiscent of when the Celtic fans disgraced themselves by throwing coins at referee Hugh Dallas during a title decider Old Firm Derby.

Needless to say, Celtic FC were appropriately fined and disciplined.

How can people be so scummy? Would any Celtic or Roma fans here care to comment?

_334057_dallas300.jpg

Don't act like Rangers fans are anything to be proud of either. A gang of them murdered Thomas McFadden for wearing his celtic strip. And we all remember the crossbow incident. Both clubs have complete retards as supporters, and only the most delusional dope couldn't see that.

Hmmmmm, maybe instead of getting into a my teams fans are better than your teams fans thing. We should remember a person was injured .

Also does anyone re-call that English teams were banned from Euro competition from 1985 to 1990 . So UEFA , FIFA and the Italian governing body better act or what's to stop teams from demanding venue changes for safety reasons. Harsh punishment has to be handed out , to get the message across that the idiots are hurting the team.

Tuesday hearing for Roma

Thursday, 16 September 2004

The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body will convene on Tuesday 21 September to instigate disciplinary proceedings against AS Roma after their opening UEFA Champions League fixture against FC Dynamo Kyiv was abandoned at half-time.

Frisk injured

Swedish referee Anders Frisk required medical attention to a cut on his forehead after being struck by a missile thrown from the crowd. Moments earlier, shortly after blowing for half-time, Frisk had sent off Roma defender Philippe Mexes for an illegal challenge on visiting striker Maris Verpakovskis as he went to gather the ball.

'No condition to continue'

A UEFA statement issued this morning said: "UEFA deplores the incident that occurred last night at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome during the match between AS Roma and FC Dynamo Kyiv, which resulted in the abandonment of the game, after a thrown missile struck and injured referee Anders Frisk. The referee suspended the game as he was not in a condition to continue and the security of the other match officials could not be guaranteed.

Awaiting reports

"We await the full details from both the referee's and the delegate's reports but it is clear that disciplinary proceedings will be instigated against AS Roma. The date set for the meeting of the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body to look into this incident is Tuesday 21 September." Dynamo were leading 1-0 at half-time.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/news/Kind=1/newsId=229752.html

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

Don't act like Rangers fans are anything to be proud of either. A gang of them murdered Thomas McFadden for wearing his celtic strip. And we all remember the crossbow incident. Both clubs have complete retards as supporters, and only the most delusional dope couldn't see that.

You're absolutely correct mate. However dont be so blind-sided as to not acknowledge that Andrew Cuthbert, a Rangers fan, was covered in petrol by a bunch of Celtic yobs and then set alight, proving that the Old Firm rivalry is steeped in intense hatred.

the only difference between the 2 rival supporters is that the vast majority of Rangers fans accept that their FC, like many FCs, has an "unsavoury" element to their support. Tims, on the other hand, masquerade behind the "greatest fans in the world" title and refuse (on the whole) to acknowledge their scum contingent.

In saying that, i dont ever recall any Rangers fans ever throwing any dangerous objects at any members of the refereeing fraternity....

At least at a Palace - Millwall match at Selhurst I went to back in 2001, the supporters had the decency to throw coins at each other, as opposed to the referees and players. ;)

The match started off on a friendly note, when a moment of silence for a recently-deceased football commentator was broken by a Palace fan screaming "SHUT UP, YOU SCUM!" at the Millwall supporters who were nattering during the silence.

So it's tough to cheer Millwall on now - even with all the Canucks!

From my personal experience, Celtic fans are great. Didn't they win a Fair Play award from FIFA a couple seasons ago. I bet every sports team has a percentage of idiots cheering for them and atrocities do seem to follow bothsides.

I saw a few people throwing stuff at the Mexican ref in Edmonton(non-Voyageurs). If I didn't need my keys I might have had a try. If he'd have gotten tagged, it would have been a different story.

Roma offer Frisk apology Thursday 16 September, 2004

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma have apologised to referee Anders Frisk, but have attempted to defend themselves from last night’s capital chaos.

Frisk was forced to abandon the Champions’ League tie against Dynamo Kiev after he was struck by an object at the end of the first half.

The Swede was cut in the incident which is now likely to see the Giallorossi heavily punished by UEFA.

"First of all, we would like to offer an official apology to the referee," stated sporting director Franco Baldini.

"We gave him all the medical support that he needed and accompanied him back to his hotel at 1.30 in the morning.

"Roma would like to point out that there were 400 police at the ground, plus 400 of our own staff.

"We did everything that we could and we will continue to offer our full assistance in order to catch the person responsible."

European football’s governing body have stated that they will open their enquiry on September 21 and the Italian outfit are keen to collaborate.

"The club will be at the full disposal of UEFA and will hand over all of the necessary paperwork for their inquiry," stated administrator Rosella Sensi.

"The majority of the crowd behaved impeccably. It was an insane act that has damaged all of our hard work.

"This is not the image which we desire. It is intolerable that the events of last night should fall on the club and my father."

Sensi, the daughter of owner Franco, also asked for the support of other clubs to deal with such mindless acts.

"This could cost us as much as £15m but we can’t always pay for the mistakes of others," she added.

"I invite other clubs to stand by us and collaborate with us in an effort to defend ourselves against such events."

Yesterday was a difficult 24 hours for the club, as Antonio Cassano was also dropped from the side after clashing with boss Rudi Voller.

"After his dismissal against Fiorentina, the Coach decided that he wasn’t in the right condition to play because he lacked the necessary regret for the incident," continued Baldini.

"Cassano has already been fined, as has Philippe Mexes for his dismissal last night, but his attitude needs to change."

Archived