De Vos is OUT of the Guatemala match...

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

According to the Ipswich web-site... De Vos has a hairline fracture of the fibula. ****, ****, damn.

Good news is that he'll only be out a couple weeks... apparently.

:(

"Injury blow for Jason Jason De Vos is likely to be out for two weeks after a scan revealed that he has suffered a small hairline fracture of the fibula.The Town defender is currently in Canada for their World Cup qualifier against Guatemala but has been ruled out of the game and will be returning to England for assessment by the Town physio staff.Speaking to the Club website, Town physio Dave Williams said: ""Jason had an xray on his knee and it was fine.""The crack can be invisible on an xray but a bone scan showed a small hairline fracture which has obviously ruled him out of playing for Canada.

""I haven't spoken to Jason directly. He is still in Canada and we have missed each other because of the time difference but I will be talking to him later.""He was due back here on Friday but I'm sure that he will be on an earlier flight now and we will then see the extent of the problem on his return.""From what I have been told, I wouldn't expect him to be out for much more than a couple of weeks.""There is better news for Town skipper Jim Magilton with Dave adding: ""He trained today without any problems and we are cautiously optimistic he will be okay for Saturday."""

quote:Originally posted by ballboy

I try not to over-react and I have tried to maintain an optimistic outlook but these injuries and suspension are no doubt gonna affect our chances.

I am keeping my fingers crossed but still rooting for a Canadian win!!!

Considering Guat's recents results and the credible performance at their last WCQ campaign, if we manage to win this game with this depleted squad, then I will conclude that we are amuch better soccer nation than I ever thought we were.

But on the other hand, has anyone seen the guat squad. Who have they named?

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

ok so how many of our guys are out for this match lets ???

1 devos

2 radzionski

fill it in

4 McKenna

5 Bircham

The 7 Stages of MikeD's Reaction

1) Shock - [:0]

2) Denial - "This must be a prank." [Check Ipswich Town site.]

3) Anger - [ipswich Town site confirms injury.] "F@#%ing F@#k!!!" :(

4) Guilt - "What did we do to deserve this? WHY, OH WHY, HAVE THE SOCCER GODS FORSAKEN US!?!"

5) Bargaining - "Maybe he'll still be able to play." [Re-read Ipswich Town website. Confirm that he's out of the match]

6) Depression - :(

7) Acceptance - "Oh well, we'll still beat Guatemala with our awesome midfield. They have yet to feel the power of DeGuzman. They won't know what hit them."

Can't wait for tomorrow night. 34 hours and 27 minutes 'till kickoff.

GO CANADA!!!

Looks like the 18 will be chosen from.

1. RICARDO TRIGUEÑO FOSTER

2. PABLO MELGAR

3. MIGUEL KLEE

4. GUSTAVO CABRERA

5. NESTOR MARTINEZ

6. DWIGHT PEZZAROSSI

7. MARIO RODRIGUEZ

8. FREDY THOMPSON

9. GONZALO ROMERO

10. GUILLERMO RAMIREZ

11. JOSE MENDOZA

12. ANGEL SANABRIA

13. JOSE ZACARIAS ANTONIO

14. DENNIS CHEN

15. CLAUDIO ALBIZUREZ

16. CRISTIAN GARCIA

17. MAYNOR DAVILA

18. WALTER ESTRADA

19. TRANSITO MONTEPEQUE

20. CARLOS RUIZ

21. HETZON PEREIRA

Sorry, no more details.

This is getting silly now! DeVos is the one player we cannot do without...and now we have to do without him. So what's Frank gonna do?

Start Watson and Pizzo or go for club connection and play Gervais? I would like to see Hutch drop back and play in the center like he did for the U-20s. We've got no choice now, gotta go for it, all out attack cause we have no defence! Start Simpson and Peeters with Occean up front, DeGuzman as the second striker a la Scholes, Stalteri and Serioux in the center. 4-5-1 becomes 4-3-3 in attack.

Was DeVos going to captain the side? I recall Onstad getting the armband, anyone know if that was going to be the case permanently?

I don't like Onstad in goal, anymore than I like Watson in defence.

Sh#t! I just realized that, if DeVos is out for two weeks, he may not be fit for the Costa Rica and Honduras matches in the first week of September! We can still overpower Guatemala without him, but I don't want to have to play the Ticos and Honduras without him.

I'm going to go buy some Maalox now...

Wow, horrible luck for us and the CMNT :(. But you know what, we have to stay positive, I don't want any of you feeling less confident about beating those Guats. Lets just say, if we can't beat Guatemala in our country, with half of our B Team playing, than we shouldn't be in Germany 2006. If we don't go through this group without being #1, I don't think we should be Germany 2006. We have to set out standards high as a football squad, so we can achieve the priviledge of advancing to the WORLD CUP. We can't be like the Canadian Olympic Team, who compete for Personal Bests and not for medals, catch my drift? :)

I definitely agree, no one should be flipping out, this is the time when other people will have to step up (Hutchinson, etc) because if they can't versus Guat then we don't really deserve to make it. I have faith in Yallop, and I'm sure he has an idea already in place to stifle Ruiz. I can't see Watson starting against this fast team

Men's World Cup Team

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

deVos Out For World Cup Qualifier

Jason deVos

Canadian defender Jason deVos has been ruled out from Wednesday’s WC qualifier. Upon arriving in Vancouver, he was assessed by the Canadian medical staff and underwent a bone scan which revealed a stress fracture at the top of his fibula.

Jason did not train with the Canadian team and will not be replaced on the roster.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1844

I am curious to see who will be assigned the task of marshalling the defence. There could be a definite concern with familiarity amongst the backline whereby you have potentially two a-league central defender and two euro-based outside defenders. Based on abilities and current form alone, I have quite a bit confidence in the two central defender if Yallop goes with Pizzolito, and Gervais. Eleven goals alowed in 24 games is really astounding even if it is the A-league. In otherwords, they have to have been doing the job all season long. Problem is, who is in charge back there now? Stalteri, the outside defender with the Bundesliga champs or one of the a-league stalwarths with the best defensive record.

Good point Free kick - IMHO, this would be the time for Onstad to show why he deserves the captain's armband by taking charge of the defence. A vocal 'keeper can be a great asset.

Sutton might warrant some consideration merely because of his club familiarity with Gervais and Pizzolitto, but I can't see Yallop doing that. I reckon it'll be Watson and Pizzolitto in front of Onstad.

Time to get Tony Menezes back in the program. Not only is he a much-needed central defender with skill, he is one of the few players that could really handle the heat, humidity and atmosphere of Central America.

Against Guatemala, it sounds to me that we should pair a fast central defender with a traditional (tall but slower) one. They will be attacking on the ground, with speed, not in the air. Just some thoughts...

Archived