July 14 - PCSL All-Stars vs Hearts [R]

2004 PCSL All Stars

July 5 - The PCSL is pleased to announce it's All Star Team for the game against Heart of Midlothian on Wednesday July 14th at Royal Athletic Park, Victoria, BC, at 7.30pm.

Goalkeepers

1 Didar Sandhu Richmond Clan

1   David Stockton Okanagan Challenge

Defence

2   Paul Vandenboom Victoria United

3   Andrew Rose Kamloops City

4   Aaron Rose Fraser Valley Action

18   Martin Schaefe Surrey United

6   Zico Pescada Penticton Pinnacles

Midfield

7   Mike Lupton Fraser Valley Action

12   Will Moore Victoria United

5   Kevin Gilbert Victoria United

10   Todd Stauber Skagit Rapids

15   Matt Mori Surrey United

13   Mark Peters Fraser Valley Action

16   Vince Stewart Surrey United

Forwards

11   Tiarnan King Richmond Clan

17   Jimmy Krueger Okanagan Challenge

8   Dana Garner Seattle Hibernian

9   Ryan Hopp Skagit Rapids

Coaches

Martin Foden Surrey United

Dante Zanatta Victoria United

Trainer/Physio

Craig Richards Richmond Clan

Thanks to TGJM for finding and posting this on the other forum...

From Hearts:

Result: PCSL All-stars 1-4 Hearts

15.07.04 - Kevin McKenna had a memorable night in Victoria, at Royal Athletic Park as he grabbed a hat-trick in front of his family, who had travelled from Calgary. Indeed it was an excellent night for Hearts, as the crowd of two thousand and fifteen warmly welcome Craig Levein’s men and applauded the goals they scored. After Kevin’s treble there was still time for Dennis Wyness to head home.

Craig Levein’s men continued their tour in the beautiful setting of Victoria, the state capital of British Columbia. On this occasion they were playing in what was described as an exhibition match, an extra game, not part of the international tournament with Millwall and Canada B. Their opponents were a select side of the Pacific Coast Soccer League, which includes teams from both Canada and the United States.

This was the second time that these two teams have faced each other, the last match coming back in 1960. That night Hearts scored three goals, with no reply. It was a story of similar dominance tonight, although the home team did manage to grab a goal, finally. They had only waited forty-four years!

The head coach left out Ramon Pereira, Craig Gordon and Patrick Kisnorbo. All three could well feature against Millwall on Saturday if they recover from knocks. Alan Maybury, Kevin McKenna, Graham Weir, Neil Janczyk, and Neil MacFarlane came in for their first starts of the pre-season.

Hearts made a great start to the match, and after just three minutes All-stars ‘keeper Stockton had to push a Graham Weir effort around the post.

Graham Weir was then fouled in the ‘area, although Stockton, who had a good game, saved excellently, Steven Pressley’s penalty. It was the first time that ‘Elvis’ had missed a penalty for his team, although few will ever even know about it!

Hearts were totally dominant in the first half, and Alan Maybury got forward with a chip from outside the area that went just over the way. Stockton also had to make another superb save. This time it was Neil Janczyk who forced the heroic stopper into a block.

Then, a just reward for Hearts performance, Kevin McKenna scored the opening goal on twenty-six minutes. It was a special moment for the lad who hails from Canada who put the ball in the net from close range.

Joe Hamill then came close to a second goal when he worked his way into the area and fed a dangerous close that went right in front of goal. It only needed a touch from Janczyk and Hearts would have been cruising.

And it was Joe who missed the next of a hatful of Hearts chances when he narrowly missed a cross at the back stick after thirty-seven minutes.

With a couple of minutes left in the first period Kevin McKenna took the warm applause of the home crowd as he drove home his second goal. The Canadian international scored from the edge of the area. His family, watching the game in the stand, were absolutely thrilled.

Hearts made a host of changes at half-time, all planned. Off went Neilson, Pressley, Hartley, and Hamill. All had played all or most of the match against Canada, and so were presumably, given the temperatures, needing a rest. On came McAllister, clear from injury, Wyness, Stamp and Andrew Driver, who was making his debut.

Hearts scored within moments of kick-off in the second half, and it was glory for Kevin McKenna, in front of his family, he completed his hat-trick heading home a Neil Janczyk corner kick.

Vince Stewart picked up the first yellow card of the game when he fouled debutant Andrew Driver. Alan Maybury followed into the book, shortly afterwards, as the game became just a little niggly.

The All-stars were starting to put pressure on Hearts, and after a superb Tepi Moilanen save Tiarnan King put the ball in the next. The Richmond Clan player scored after seventy-minutes, and in doing so salvaged some pride for the home side. Hearts were just beginning to tire, as was to be expected, in these latter stages of the match.

Dennis Wyness tried to hit back for Hearts as the game moved into the final stages, however his flashing header went just wide. However, as thunder and lightening reared its head around the ground, he would not be denied. The former Inverness hit-man headed home an Andrew Driver cross after seventy-four minutes and the Jambos were back in complete control.

It was an easier night for Hearts than against Canada on Monday evening, but now, after this win, Craig Levein will lead his men on into the final game of this tour against Millwall. Denis Wise’s side will surely provide the toughest test to date.

Hearts: Moilanen; Neilson (McAllister, 45) Webster, Pressley (Wyness, 45), Maybury; Hartley (Stamp, 45), MacFarlane, Janczyk (De Vries, 79), Hamill (Driver, 45 (Simmons, 75)); Weir, McKenna. Booked: Maybury.

PSCL All-stars (starting XI): Stockton; Vandeboom, Rose, Scaefe, Lupton, Moore, Gilbert, Mor, Peters, Krueger, Garner. Booked: Stewart

Referee: Paul Ward

quote:as the crowd of two thousand and fifteen warmly welcome Craig Levein’s men and applauded the goals they scored.

quote:Craig Levein’s men continued their tour in the beautiful setting of Victoria, the state capital of British Columbia.

State Capital?

I remember watching a gameshow while sitting in a pub one night in Edinburgh. The contestants' ignorance of anything outside Britain was STAGGERING.

Mind you, I find that most game show contestants are blithering idiots (except Ken from Jeopardy, of course :)

Anyway, a nice showing by McKenna. Gerry must be very proud!

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Attendance??

The announced attendance (and I should know since I did the announcing) was 2,115 tickets sold. They were turning people away at the gates telling them it was sold out. These people watched from beyond the chain link fences that surround the park since the city decided to replace the old (taller) wooden fences. It turned out to be a good move as a PCSL shot went way high over the Hearts net (nice play to get the shot) and the ball hit a taxi on Quadra street.

I would have to say that adding freebies into the mix there would have been at least 2,300 people at the game.

What I find interesting however is that when it was built the oficial capacity of the main stand was stated as being 3,000. Last night "sold out" with app. 2/3 that number of tickets with people sitting in the main stand AND the supplementary bleachers at either end. Have people got that much fatter since 1967? Have personal space needs destroyed our willingness to pack in cheek by jowl?

Anyway, it was the best game I have ever seen at RAP and frankly (dare I say it) I don't know how I am going to be happy watching the PCSL league games. The combination of the big crowd and the quality of play made it a great night for football.

Oh, and it also, despite the smaller capacity, reinforced my preference for RAP over Centennial Stadium (UVic). I mean the atmosphere was great and even up in the announcers booth at the top of the main stand I felt like I was right on top of the action. At Uvic we would have been watching a game that might as well have been on TV with the distance to the pitch, bench seating and poor acoustics.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Attendance??

The announced attendance (and I should know since I did the announcing) was 2,115 tickets sold. They were turning people away at the gates telling them it was sold out. These people watched from beyond the chain link fences that surround the park since the city decided to replace the old (taller) wooden fences. It turned out to be a good move as a PCSL shot went way high over the Hearts net (nice play to get the shot) and the ball hit a taxi on Quadra street.

I would have to say that adding freebies into the mix there would have been at least 2,300 people at the game.

What I find interesting however is that when it was built the oficial capacity of the main stand was stated as being 3,000. Last night "sold out" with app. 2/3 that number of tickets with people sitting in the main stand AND the supplementary bleachers at either end. Have people got that much fatter since 1967? Have personal space needs destroyed our willingness to pack in cheek by jowl?

Anyway, it was the best game I have ever seen at RAP and frankly (dare I say it) I don't know how I am going to be happy watching the PCSL league games. The combination of the big crowd and the quality of play made it a great night for football.

Oh, and it also, despite the smaller capacity, reinforced my preference for RAP over Centennial Stadium (UVic). I mean the atmosphere was great and even up in the announcers booth at the top of the main stand I felt like I was right on top of the action. At Uvic we would have been watching a game that might as well have been on TV with the distance to the pitch, bench seating and poor acoustics.

Quadra Street? Ahem. Musta got one heckuva roll on that kick -- maybe a block and a half. I'm thinking Cook Street, myself.

Couldn't go to last night's game, but completely agree with Royal Athletic over Centennial. Whenever I see a game at UVic, because of the wide track to the field I always feel like I'm stuck well behind some police "do not cross" tape. ("Keep well back from the field, people. Nothing to see here ...")

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

Quadra Street? Ahem. Musta got one heckuva roll on that kick -- maybe a block and a half. I'm thinking Cook Street, myself.

D'oh [:I]

Why do I always confuse the two when I am speaking/writing? Of course it was Cook Street.

Archived