Taunting opposing countries fans?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Canadienfan

I was once at a U20 Canada-Mexico WCQ game where a Canadian fan yelled "go back to your own phucking country-you beaners" to a small group of Mexican fans entering the stadium. Would you consider this going too far?

Yes. Primarily because it's not humourous, and it doesn't rhyme.

I was once at a U20 Canada-Mexico WCQ game where a Canadian fan yelled "go back to your own phucking country-you beaners" to a small group of Mexican fans entering the stadium. Would you consider this going too far?

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that you yelling that?

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Yes. Primarily because it's not humourous, and it doesn't rhyme.

Since when does rhyme having anything to do with humour? In fact I find rhyming humour some of the lowest quality and most annoying, unless you’re a fan of the Two Ronnies or Randy Newman records.

I would much rather hear profanities hurled at the opposing teams fans that another round of "Go Canada Go". I guess that sort of rhymes, but is it funny?

Yes, because it doesn't even come with any sort of wit. More racist

than anything.

quote:

Yes, because it doesn't even come with any sort of wit. More racist

than anything.

Wit doesn't intimidate opposing players or fans, especially those with a weak grasp of the English language.

I think it is fair game to harass the opposing fans during a game and then have a beer with them afterwards. I hold no animosity to the Mexican fans that came to Victoria and yelled insults and profanities. It got them going and their team going. If it wasn’t for them the crowd/game would have resembled a morgue.

Andy Sharpe (ISM April/2004):

"I want them to be scared coming up here. As a nationaltiy, were too nice. After they've treated us badly in Central America, we have to fight fire with fire. There's no need to be nice. If they're gonna treat us like ****, we'll treat them like ****."

Well, if they were doing nothing wrong, then yes that's going too far. However if they were booing the Canadian anthem then no, that is perfectly fair, as well as a kick to the nuts would be.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Well, if they were doing nothing wrong, then yes that's going too far. However if they were booing the Canadian anthem then no, that is perfectly fair, as well as a kick to the nuts would be.

Exactly. If they were just cheering for their team or just entering the stadium, that'll be going too far.

But disrespect is disrespect. Booing OUR anthem IN our country is

insulting. That's when you "release the hounds" ...

I prefer to hurl abuse at the opposing team's players and coaching staff. Not to mention the officiating, especially when it seems the officials are part of the opposing team's coaching staff.

By comparison I can't really recall too many times that I've taunted the fans of other teams at the international level. Retorted on many occasions, but the use of the word "taunt" suggests that the insult is unprovoked and that I am the one who is starting it. I can't ever recall doing that. Unless you count my "Don't you say goodbye?" imitation of Larry David in the Shaq episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm to the Costa Rica fans as they were leaving the stadium following the end of our 1-0 victory at the last Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Unless you count my "Don't you say goodbye?" imitation of Larry David in the Shaq episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm to the Costa Rica fans as they were leaving the stadium following the end of our 1-0 victory at the last Gold Cup.

No disrespect, but it is kind of a wasted effort unless:

a) They speak English

B) Are familiar with the show

Call me sentimental, but I prefer the universally acknowledged send-offs: English profanity – our gift to the world.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am not in favour of taunting other fans. Other thing is if you are in the stands and you get in an argument (which I tend to do) with a jerk of a fan from a visiting team.

The best way to get at opposing fans is to support your team and have Canada score goals, best way to shut them up. I also don't mind chants or harrassing players on the field, as that is part of the intimidation factor. And also can irritate the fans. Guatemala has the convenience of ending with "mala" female gender for bad. You can alter it and it gives you options like

"What-a-malo

Malo

Malo

What-a-malo

Malo team!"

with the "what" said with a bit of a "g", "guat".

Simply replying their "Gua-te-mala" with a "Gua-te-malo, malo, malo" is easy and can do the trick. It is quite usual for parents or teachers admonish a kid in Spanish with a triple "malo".

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

No disrespect, but it is kind of a wasted effort unless:

a) They speak English

B) Are familiar with the show

Call me sentimental, but I prefer the universally acknowledged send-offs: English profanity – our gift to the world.

I think it's safe to assume they speak english, as they will all be NA residents.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I think it's safe to assume they speak english, as they will all be NA residents.

Since when has English proficiency been a requirement of American or Canadian residency?

Mexicans have no problem in gloryifying mass murder, so I think letting them know that they're our manual labor slaves is nothing major.

"Aye yi yi yi. We're making El Tri look silly. They'll be mowing our lawns while the World Cup is on so f*** off and go eat some chili."

I don't like the notion of taunting other fans. Their team, for sure, and that is, by extension, the same thing. But if they are traveling to see their team play - and not doing so for the purposes of hooliganism - then they deserve some respect for their commitment.

Having said that, it is sometimes possible to engage in some good natured bantering with some opposing fans - usually followed by a joint trip to the pub after the game - and that can be good fun. Of course, I've only seen that happen in hockey and rugby.:)

Seems to me that it would be more offensive to scream profanaties at the Mexican's in spanish than english. Anyone ever watch a Canada vs Mexico game in Azteca? What was the atmosphere like? Also wouldn't you expect to be yelled at and slandered by any opposing fans if Canada was playing in their home country?

Well thanks to the forum54 board (I've been there for weeks, anyone see the post where they wanted someone to bring a 'forum54' banner to let people know that their board was representing, I found that funny) we know that Guatemala stayed at the

The Century Plaza Hotel

1015 Burrard Street, VANCOUVER.

Tel. 604-687-05-75 www.century-plaza.com

in 1988. Might be a good place to start if people feel like a little all night sing-a-long Tuesday.

Also, and I'm definitely treading on very thing moral ground here, but one Mario Rodriguez who will very likely be patrolling the left side of the midfield for Guatemala in Burnaby just happened to kill the Guatemalan's starting keeper Danny Ortiz. Rodriguez (of Comunicaciones) collided with Ortiz (of Municipal) in the chest during the Guatemala City derby, the Super Classico in February. Ortiz' heart never started again. Since he'll be on the flank and right in front of us I thought a rousing chorus of 'el loco es un asesino' might not please him too much. Or is that crossing the line? I figure if they throw piss baggies at us in Guate, anything's fair game.

There are all sorts of possibilities involving Ortiz and either Trigueno or Klee whichever starts in goal, but I'll let someone else take the ball and run with that one.

cheers,

matthew

Archived