Taunting opposing countries fans?

I've really got no problem with other nations supporters and I don't have a problem leaving things on the pitch. I was glad we taunted the Belizeans for 180 minutes and then gave the poor buggers some applause as they boarded their bus back to the third world.

My fondest memory of the 2000 T&T debacle in Edmonton was the family of Trinnies who parked next to me. They were from Calgary and there was some banter before the match as we both got set up. I remember the daughter was about 10 and said her heart was with Canada, so she'd be cheering against her dad and mom.

Anyway I was gutted after the game and I got back as good as I gave before the game as we got to our cars (he sang "don't be blue, Trinnie hearts are true, oh don't be blue, Dwight Yorke made it two"). He seemed kind of surprised that I was so upset. So he gave me a drink from his cooler and we talked about Canada (he and his son had gone to the Cuba game in Edmonton, so he wasn't paying lip service to the fact that he supported Canada as well), T&T, the T&T team from 90 and then the heartbreak of cheering for teams that never win when you think they're going to. It almost cheered me up.

So yeah I hope we can shake hands with the Guats after beating them and have a few beers after the game, but during the 90 I want to get on the Guatemalan players as much as possible.

cheers,

matthew

90IIII06

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of a odd discussion.

Can't be helped but to taunt the enemy supports. If they don't like it they should have stayed home.

The amount of bitter vile which will be spewed in their general direction will of course be dictated as the circumstances of the match evolve. Always feel free to exercise your discretion. I find alcohol helps my judgment.

If you feel a need to drink and shake hands with them afterwards then you'll have plenty of opportunity for appologies as you may or may not see fit. So, in the mean time, during the match, sharpen them teeth.

But then of course my views on the subject were formed in the upper deck at The Arena and the northern sections of the East Side at Winnipeg Stadium during their haydays. Fun stuff, but yeah as Gordon mentioned, it can be pretty terrifying for a pre-teen surrounded by drunken idiots, Pops included. That crowd didn't need enemy supporters to terrorise.

quote:Originally posted by mcaout

If we play the States are we going to pretend to be Airplanes crashing(9/11)? That'd totally effect any US player and really piss of their fans.

That would be really really shi**y. Look, I know you're just looking for ways to throw people off their game and I'm assuming (hoping) that it's nothing personal upon your behalf, but really, if you do that away in the states , there's a very good chance you'd get your ass kicked. There are a lot of people from New York in Sam's Army, USA fans, etc. and there a lot of people who've been affected by it, saw it, lost people to it, etc. It's still a really touchy issue and did quite a number on the national psyche. Personally, I never ever want to resort to violence to settle issues, it would certainly bother me as it would a lot of other of my countrymen who unlike me would have no absolutley qalms about kicking your head in once the 9/11 jabs start flying. Jesus, I remember stories from 2002 where a Mexican fan just yelled "OSAMA!!!" at a bunch of USA fans and almost got friggin pummeled if it weren't for a couple of nearby stewards and level headed USA fans.

Look, Canadians are real cool people, don't lower yourselves to this.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

That would be really really shi**y. Look, I know you're just looking for ways to throw people off their game and I'm assuming (hoping) that it's nothing personal upon your behalf, but really, if you do that away in the states , there's a very good chance you'd get your ass kicked. There are a lot of people from New York in Sam's Army, USA fans, etc. and there a lot of people who've been affected by it, saw it, lost people to it, etc. It's still a really touchy issue and did quite a number on the national psyche. Personally, I never ever want to resort to violence to settle issues, it would certainly bother me as it would a lot of other of my countrymen who unlike me would have no absolutley qalms about kicking your head in once the 9/11 jabs start flying. Jesus, I remember stories from 2002 where a Mexican fan just yelled "OSAMA!!!" at a bunch of USA fans and almost got friggin pummeled if it weren't for a couple of nearby stewards and level headed USA fans.

Look, Canadians are real cool people, don't lower yourselves to this.

I'm very confident that the above quote was rhetorical and was meant in a 'where do we draw the line' kind of way and not a suggestion of what we should do.

This is a theoretical kind of debate. I doubt I'd ever be angry enough to yell things at el loco Rodriguez about Danny Ortiz, but at what point do we draw the line? I think 9/11 and Osama stuff are way over the line and I think most (all) would agree, but what's too far? Pulling the fire alarm at the hotel? To change sports, I've heard people taunt Jordin Tootoo about his brother killing himself. I think that's out of line. Some people obviously don't.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. Champ do you know what a merkin is or did you not mean for the double meaning. Maybe I'm thick, but the double meaning of the shortened form just occured to me and I find it rather funny.

There's a line, we all want to go there but not cross it. Most people only see the line after the fact, unfortunately. But it makes the discussion a little moot.

I do agree that there will not be an Azteca atmosphere in Canada any time soon. However, what we can do as the Loyal Voyageurs are:

1. Give people someone to look to to start the cheering and chanting. As Canadians we're not too nice to chant, I think -- we're just a little embarrassed about starting it off. After all, what if one started a chant just as everyone else took a sip of their double-doubles at the same time? One would look rather the hoser.

Over time, I think our presence and effect will grow. Especially when we make it to the hex.

2. Give the players someone to play for. I'm sure the players were shocked and pleased about their reception for their last trip home. Being cheered at the practice sessions, being individually cheered on the field during warmup, and being individually cheered during the matches was probably a huge charge for a lot of them -- especially those who have played and felt like foreigners in their own home in the past.

That's what's important to me. I don't much care if I make opposing fans feel bad -- any more than I blame them for feeling bad when my team loses. And after attending the Ticats game last night and sitting near what seemed like a LOT of Argos fans, I have a pretty keen appreciation at the moment about how being on the losing end feels...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Things to do to an opposing team in their hotel:

1) Host loud parties on the same floor that the team is staying on.

2) Blow horns and bangs drums as you walk up and down the hallway. Bonus points if bagpipes are used.

3) Make crank calls to the team rooms (as Canadienfan says).

4) Use the wake-up call system in the hotel to keep the team up at night.

5) Bang on doors loudly to wake the team up. Run before they can answer the door.

6) Rent a room above the team and use a 'boom box' with the speakers planted in a way that will carry the sound into the room below.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Did American fans taunt Grenada and Panama fans after invading them? (I actally don't know) That would be ultra sh*tty.

No. Well, we haven't played Panama yet, but there were no Invasion chants/songs against Grenada, and I don't suspect we'll see any for Panama. Surprisingly, the USA was warmly received in St. Georges (save for one hostile banner. One.)

Archived