Stalteri and the Bundesliga (R)

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

As I think this was shown live in Canada I suppose I could have put the result in the title. Werder Bremen attacks Bayern from the start and gets three 1st half goals from Klasnic, Micoud and Ailton, MacKaay gets one back, 1-3 Bremen who are the champs in the Olympic Stadium. Congrats Paul Stalteri, a great triumph and a great season for Larry, Diesel, etc.

Guest Jeffery S.

AS for the stats, Slateri played 90, set up Ailton 2nd half for a fourth which did not fall.

Hannover beat Eintracht 3-0 with two Bdaric goals, Julian de Guzman going the whole way and taking a 1st half yellow. With the win they are 5 points over relegation with two games left. A loss to Frankfurt would have put the now-relegated side just a point back of them, risky business. So it looks good for de Guzman's side but not quite over yet.

I managed to catch the match this morning, I though Stalteri was rock solid at right back. I don't think he let anybody get past him down the right side of the field the whole game, and that includes the likes of Ze Roberto, Roy Makaay & Michael Ballack who were unable to do so. His performance today made a mockey of the view that he is unsuitable to play right back for the national team. I hope the kicker ratings give him at least a 2.5, if not a 2.

I'm not going to mention how Hargreaves was at fault for what turned out to be Bremen's game winning and championship winning goal. :)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

His performance today made a mockey of the view that he is unsuitable to play right back for the national team.

I don't think Stalteri is unsuitable to play right back for the national team, I just think that to use him in that position is a waste of his talents. Canada is not Werder Bremen. With Canada, Stalteri belongs in central midfield where he can be more involved in the play.

Werder Bremen captures Bundesliga title

FRANKFURT (CP) - Werder Bremen beat Bayern Munich 3-1 on Saturday to dethrone the defending champion and capture its first Bundesliga title since 1993.

Ivan Klasnic, Johan Micoud and Ailton scored in the first half at Munich's Olympic stadium to secure Bremen's fourth championship with two rounds remaining in the season.

The game featured a pair of Canadians on each side. Toronto's Paul Stalteri has been a fixture at fullback all season for Bremen while Calgary-raised Owen Hargreaves, who chose England over Canada for his international career, is an important midfield presence for Bayern.

Both were in their teams' starting lineups Saturday. Stalteri has started 31 of 32 games for Bremen this season. Hargreaves has appeared in 24 of Bayern's 32 league games with another six appearances in the Champions League.

Bremen toyed with the outgoing champion before a capacity crowd of 65,000 and proved beyond a doubt that it was the best team in the league.

"We worked very hard for this," Micoud said. "We've believed for a long time that we'd win the title, but we didn't speak about it openly."

Bremen now has 74 points and cannot be overtaken by Bayern, which is nine points behind at 65.

"It's sensational what we've done," Bremen's coach Thomas Schaaf said.

The defeat left Bayern, Germany's most successful club, without silverware this season. Bayern was knocked out of the Champions League in the second round and was eliminated from the German Cup by a second-division team.

But Bayern can still hope to clinch second place and direct qualification for the Champions League thanks to Stuttgart's 2-1 loss at Hamburger, SV.

Stuttgart (61 points) can cut the gap next week at home against Bayern. Bremen ran its unbeaten streak to 23 games.

The club from northern Germany has dominated the season and has won fans across the country with its attractive, offensive style.

Apart from striker Ailton, who leads the league with 27 goals, Bremen's game revolves around the playmaking skills of French star Micoud. Another Frenchmen, Valerien Ismael, anchors a stingy defence.

But Bremen will be without Ailton and another star defender, Mladen Krstajic, in next season's Champions League. Both are leaving for Bundesliga rival Schalke.

Ailton was crying openly as he hugged coach Schaaf after the match. Schaaf has been at the club since 1999.

Bayern began the season with the ambition of sweeping three trophies. Instead, coach Ottmar Hitzfeld was left pondering what went wrong with his star-studded side.

Bayern officials have stressed that Hitzfeld will serve out his contract, which runs out at the end of the next season.

Klasnic, a Croatian striker, capitalized on a huge mistake by Bayern captain and goalkeeper Oliver Kahn to put Bremen ahead after 19 minutes. Micoud made it 2-0 after 26 and Ailton added the third in the 35th.

It was the first time in 30 years that Bayern conceded three goals in the first 45 minutes.

"Bremen has played the best soccer this season and they didn't allow themselves to get distracted," Hitzfeld said. "It's an ironic twist of fate that Kahn, one of our best, makes this mistake."

Bayern was magnanimous in defeat and presented Bremen players with champagne after the match.

Roy Makaay got Bayern on the scoreboard in the 56th, driving home a good pass from Roque Santa Cruz. Bremen was less dominant in the second half, mostly trying to protect its lead.

"We showed that we are the best team of the season, we gave a good reply to Herr Hoeness," said Ismael, who had to leave the field after 70 minutes with an injury.

Ismael was alluding to the pre-game statement by Bayern general manager Uli Hoeness that his team would beat Bremen and show that it was the best team in the Bundesliga.

"To win the championship in Munich is the icing on the cake," said Bremen captain Frank Baumann.

Bremen also won the Bundesliga title in 1965, 1988 and 1993. It can complete a double if it wins the German Cup final May 29 against second-division Alemannia Aachen, the team that ousted Bayern.

Bayern never recovered from the shock Kahn mistake that gave Bremen the lead.

Kahn came off the line to stop a harmless-looking Bremen attack but Germany's No. 1 goalkeeper fumbled the ball and Klasnic put it into the empty net.

Micoud ended a quick Bremen move by sidefooting the ball over Kahn with a perfect lob.

Ailton raised his goal total with a brilliant left-footed shot from the edge of the area into the upper right corner of Kahn's goal.

In other matches, Bayer Leverkusen confirmed its fourth place and virtually sealed a place in the UEFA Cup next season with a 2-0 win over relegated Cologne. Leverkusen now has 59 points and can also threaten Stuttgart for third.

Hertha Berlin and Kaiserslautern all but secured places in the top division for the next season by winning key matches. Berlin hammered Borussia Dortmund 6-2 and Kaiserslautern beat Wolfsburg 3-2.

Eintracht Frankfurt looks certain to join Cologne in the second division after losing 3-0 at Hannover. Nuremberg has secured promotion after one season in the second division.

Moenchengladbach beat Schalke 2-0 to hurt the visitors' hopes of reaching the UEFA Cup.

Two strong seasons back to back and 7 or 8 years of footballing before him. Living proof that you never know what level some of these lads will be playing at in a few short years.

Right place. Right time. Training up under a believing manager. Wonderful stuff.

Got to get me one of those Bremen shirts.

or unless Wiltord miraculously converts to a right back. Either way, the answer is an emphatic "No". Wiltord would be a replacement for Ailton, who presumably didn't fancy playing in the Champions League so he signed for another team (Shalke I believe).

Rumour mill has Bremen after Wiltord; they have a more useful Frenchman in Micoud (and in fact an even more useful Frenchman in Ismael) but Micoud is rumoured to be a target of Bayern. Klose is en route to Bremen from Kaiserslautern but he may still be on the limp at the start of the season. Schalke also signed Krstajic, excellent centre back for Bremen.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Rumour mill has Bremen after Wiltord; they have a more useful Frenchman in Micoud (and in fact an even more useful Frenchman in Ismael) but Micoud is rumoured to be a target of Bayern. Klose is en route to Bremen from Kaiserslautern but he may still be on the limp at the start of the season. Schalke also signed Krstajic, excellent centre back for Bremen.

Micoud would be a big loss for Bremen and a nice gain for Bayern. Do you know if it would it be a Bosman or would there be a fee involved? Wiltord is a useful player, but not, IMO, a replacement for either Ailton or Micoud.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

or unless Wiltord miraculously converts to a right back. Either way, the answer is an emphatic "No". Wiltord would be a replacement for Ailton, who presumably didn't fancy playing in the Champions League so he signed for another team (Shalke I believe).

He signed for Schalke way back in December I believe for more money than Bremen offered him. It's one of the nuances of the Bundesliga of having a player sign for another team months before the end of the season. I'm pretty sure he regrets it now. Schalke aren't even in a UEFA cup spot at the moment.

Micoud is great actually but Ismael has been impeccable down the stretch, unbeaten now in over 20 games I think. Didn't even know he was French until recently. Micoud is under contract till 2005 but people get signed midseason in Germany but it might just be rumour.

And Ivan, they've signed Fahrenhorst, a centre back from Bochum for next season.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

He signed for Schalke way back in December I believe for more money than Bremen offered him. It's one of the nuances of the Bundesliga of having a player sign for another team months before the end of the season. I'm pretty sure he regrets it now. Schalke aren't even in a UEFA cup spot at the moment.

Agreed - I was actually just being sarcastic with my "didn't fancy the Champions League" comment. They really need to come up with a "sarcastic smilie" for situations like these. ;)

He was looking for more money from Bremen and Allofs didn't want to give it to him. He signed for Schalke way before Bremen looked to be so strong but clearly is regretting it. He made some unbelievable comments about Gelsenkirchen that did not sit well with the Schalke fans and he cried his eyes out on Saturday when Bremen won the title.

Thanks for the Fahrenhorst from Bochum note Ed. Hear anything more on Lisztes?

Lets not forget the depth Bremen has. Schulz played well as a sub for Davila, Borowski is a German international who could not claim a starting spot, and they signed the young Finn Lagerblom at mid-season who looked good in the second half. Bremen should be a contender again next year.

quote:Good news for Stalteri. Does anybody believe he'll cope in the Champions League? It worked wonders for Radzinski 4 Years ago.

I'm sure he will get noticed by some of the bigger clubs in Europe. You have to remember though, Radzinski is a striker, most of the time, strikers score goals.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Micoud is great actually but Ismael has been impeccable down the stretch, unbeaten now in over 20 games I think. Didn't even know he was French until recently. Micoud is under contract till 2005 but people get signed midseason in Germany but it might just be rumour.

And Ivan, they've signed Fahrenhorst, a centre back from Bochum for next season.

There is a story up at soccernet which suggests that Ismael was a Crystal Palace reject [:0], although it deosn't say at what point in his career this was. He was indeed brilliant this year for Bremen in the matches I saw on the Tube.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

I'm sure he will get noticed by some of the bigger clubs in Europe. You have to remember though, Radzinski is a striker, most of the time, strikers score goals.

Let's not get too over the top now. Paul Stalteri is in line for the double with a very good German club but I don't expect Real Madrid to come looking for him tomorrow. His contract runs through 2005 and it's good to see his transfer value has come up from the beginning of the season.

Archived