86 Haiti

88 Albania

89 Guinea

89 Syria

91 Canada

92 Macedonia FYR

92 Cyprus

94 New Zealand

Hrrrmm, so Haiti and Guatemala are better than us according to FIFA. And Australia is only #85 in the world. What a joke.

481 points in january, 480 February 477 March.

It has been a while since I've reviewed the point criteria on FIFA.Com, fairly complex. Anyone know how to calculate the points for a game e.g. Canada ties Wales 1-1, how many points do we get.

In absolute terms the points mean nothing, however in relative terms there is some importance (e.g. Score ticker "Canada falls to 91st in World rankin")access to British market etc.

quote:Originally posted by MM

It has been a while since I've reviewed the point criteria on FIFA.Com, fairly complex. Anyone know how to calculate the points for a game e.g. Canada ties Wales 1-1, how many points do we get.

As you said, it's fairly complex. I don't think the answer to your question is easy to figure out.

The thing about the rankings is that you have to play on a somewhat regular basis, because its this is the only way to earn points. The other thing is that when teams like Haiti play one of the worst teams in the world and beat them 5-0, 2-0, they are obviously going to move up. But who is to say Canada can't beat the Turks and Caicos Islands by an even greater score? Its just bogus that Haiti gets 8 spots for destroying such weak opposition, when any team can do the same. But I guess we do have Belize coming up...

Well, the standings are (rightfully so) skewed towards official competition, so not only do Haiti or whoever get points for beating up a tiny country, they get many more when doing so in WCQ or GCQ (which Canada gets to skip since 2000). Canada's only official games are therefore WCQ and the GC - which doesn't make for many very often.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Yea....ideally, 10 games a year would do wonders for our ranking, realistically it's not really do-able. Maybe with WCQ it will happen.....but only if we go far into the tourny.

Try playing friendlies in neutral venues.

Archived