Canada's New KIT - A Request!

Ian Kennett

I would really like to see the new Canadian kit have the Canadian Coat of Arms on the left breast area instead of the soccer ball logo. All of the major national teams have a national crest or symbol. For example, England has the 3 Lion shield, the French have the coquerel (spelling), the Welsh have the Griffin, Germany has the Eagle, and the Spanish have the national coat of arms.

In my opinion, the corporate style logo looks, well, corporate, and does not at all represent any tradition of Canada at all. The Canadian Coat of Arms has three maple leafs as well as symbols from the 4 founding colonial nations - England, Ireland, Scotland, and France. It looks good, and it would go well with either red or white. A maple leaf could go on the right breast area of the jersey. These two things would make the Canadian kit have a far less corporate, "cheap" look to them. As well, we do not need a soccer ball logo on a national uniform. Is it there to tell everybody that the game is soccer?

It is about time to fix the kit for good.

Cool.

Works for me. Anything without a soccer ball. Yuck. Anyone who matters will know it's a footie kit without needing a soccer ball to remind them.

Think a nice stylised maple leaf will do if people are touchy about the coat of arms. Canada written across the front (written not printed)?

The Canadian coat of arms is replete with way, way too many symbols of monarchy, and that doesn't cut it with me. (For example, as mentioned by Ian Kennett, the coat of arms includes royal symbols from both Great Britain and France, including the Union Jack, three royal lions of England, and royal lion of Scotland.) I'm content to stick with the maple leaf or some variation there of.

Maybe i'm old fashioned, but since we are still technically a monarchy (ok constitutionally) maybe we should have some sort of coat of arms..I wasn't around for the early days, maybe some of the older members can remember if there was a different logo on the sweaters?...If i'm not mistaken, and i probably am, the current CSA soccer ball logo was introduced in the 70s?

I'm not saying it should be changed, but the logo does have that ontario science centre 70's design to it...(for those who went there every year for school in the 80s, you know what i mean)

I really, really like the CSA logo. It's not 'traditional' but I think it really works and doesn't look dated despite how old it is. Plus it's instantly recognizable. Even a non soccer fan should be able to go, hmmm, soccer ball, maple leaf . . . Canada soccer.

To take this a different way, what I did really like about those 1996 Umbro Canada jerseys was that they had the coat of arms of each province as a silkscreen design (I have no idea what the technical term is, but like a more subtly version of the inca that Mexico had). You didn't really notice it except in person, but I thought it looked really sharp and was something we could do again. Or the Cdn coat of arms instead as part of the fabric. Of course I don't think Adidas really does this so, I can't see it happening.

cheers,

matthew

With regards to soccer balls (boy that sounds weird) in logos. Lots of English clubs have balls in their crests. The reason is obvious. On a jersey it might be obvious that the crest is for a soccer federation but the crest has to do more than adorn jerseys and having a soccer ball establishs what the symbol is for in these non-soccer contexts. I agree with matthew - the CSA logo is actually remarkabley decent looking considering it's vintage and how generally horrible the designs of that era were.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

I have never understood why we have a frickin unicorn on our coat of arms.

Don't really recall the reasons why, but I think the Unicorn represents Scotland and dates back to one of the Georges. Perhaps the Second. Makes as much sense as the Lion representing England, I suppose. Lions in England were spotted with approximatley the same frequency as Unicorns in Scotland.

I like the current CSA logo. Yeah, shields look nice but they are also unoriginal and completely out of context in the Americas. I mean, when were knights and shields used in the Americas? Exactly. Its got nothing to do with us. Just because the Europeans have a tradition doesn't mean everyone else must follow it.

Just out of interest I also would like to know what crest Canada wore on its jerseys before the current logo.

I`d stick to the CSA logo we`ve had for the past decades. It`s an original design.

About other countries like England, Scotland, France, etc. having their logo related to their coat of arms,it`s actually the Soccer federation`s logo. All the countries have this on their national team jerseys.

Changing the the logo on our jersey would mean to change the CSA logo as well, and for now that wouldn`t be a priority for the CSA.

Archived