March Euro Camp

Peschfan

Just about everybody who plays in Europe & doesn't have a club conflict or injury should be there. If Yallop is serious that he wants to look at everybody who is an option then we have to take this opportunity. So I hope we are going to see more than the 16 or 18 typical players called for a friendly (and I hope that we play a friendly as part of the camp, the way we did in 1999).

Yallop might be better off just playing intrasquad games, rather than a full international friendly. That way he could see the most players in a variety of situations without the pressure to "win now". JMHO.

Guest Can. in UK

I am merely speculating here... but I assume the CSA hasn't announced anything because they may be arranging a frindly with a 'local' team.

Wales, perhaps?

Did anyone listen to the International Sports Report on the Fan 590 in Toronto on Saturday (February 21)? My father was listening and told me that they had Yallop on and he was talking about a camp being held in Manchester in March, and he mentioned something about playing against reserve squads of local clubs.

Guest Can. in UK

So much for my Wales hypothesis... they are playing Hungary on March 31st.

If we do play reserve sides, do you think that Yallop will be able to make a fair assessment of his players under those conditions? For example, can we really expect Radzinski/Stalteri (guys who will be in the starting XI) to give 100% against Man. City's reserve team? Will players be able to motivate themselves for a meaningless match?

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

So much for my Wales hypothesis... they are playing Hungary on March 31st.

If we do play reserve sides, do you think that Yallop will be able to make a fair assessment of his players under those conditions? For example, can we really expect Radzinski/Stalteri (guys who will be in the starting XI) to give 100% against Man. City's reserve team? Will players be able to motivate themselves for a meaningless match?

I think it's a worthless idea playing a club side. International matches, as you said it, are played with more passion and they mean more. There's just something about club vs. country that makes me tick. I'm against it,totally. Just my opinion.

this was at the bottom of "Canada looks to make changes against Panama in Olympic soccer qualifier" for Sportsnet. Any word on the club side canada will be playing? Maybe Manchester City??

Notes: Canadian men's coach Frank Yallop is 1. The camp will include a closed-door game planning a camp for his European-based players in Manchester, England, from March 28 to April against a club side. The Canadian men will train at Manchester United's old training facility.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=s022791A

this was at the bottom of "Canada looks to make changes against Panama in Olympic soccer qualifier" for Sportsnet. Any word on the club side canada will be playing? Maybe Manchester City??

Notes: Canadian men's coach Frank Yallop is 1. The camp will include a closed-door game planning a camp for his European-based players in Manchester, England, from March 28 to April against a club side. The Canadian men will train at Manchester United's old training facility.

There's been rumours about this match for a while, but nothing previously had been heard from Canadian sources prior to your post. Did he say it was confirmed, or he was just hopeful it would happen (he said a while ago that he was hopeful for a Canada vs. US friendly in late March, but we know that isn't going to happen at that time).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I have no problem with playing a club side, as long as it is a weak one or a reserve side. I think Yallop wants to just spend time with the players and work on the team, which you can't do as well if you have an international friendly. When you play a lesser side (like say Bury, who are near) you can work on some tactical ideas, you try to execute what is worked on in practice sessions. Also you can be a bit loose and make lots of changes, let all play if you want, without worrying about altering the tone of the match. The player I am most interested in seeing at this camp is Reda, as we need to see what he can do.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

There's been rumours about this match for a while, but nothing previously had been heard from Canadian sources prior to your post. Did he say it was confirmed, or he was just hopeful it would happen (he said a while ago that he was hopeful for a Canada vs. US friendly in late March, but we know that isn't going to happen at that time).

Sorry, don't remember exactly what he said, but I have spoken to others who heard something about it as well. I don't believe it's confirmed.

So does Yallop call in Oliver Occean to this Euro camp now that O2 is in Norway?

Based O2's current form, I say there's no harm in looking at him amongst the other Euro-based players. One thing we can never have too many of is strikers, so I hope Yallop gives him a call to show his stuff.

Archived