Canadian Women @ Four Nations Cup

Elaine

hey guys-

thought i would post something about the women's team!

anywho, the team will be taking part in the four nations cup in china next week, and it's a top notch tourney and a great way to start off the year.

the 3 other teams taking part are host china, sweden and the united states. all teams play each other once and whoever finishes on top of the "table" wins the cup.

anywho, here's the players called in:

Sasha Andrews

Tanya Dennis

Randee Hermus

Charmaine Hooper

Christine Latham

Karina LeBlanc

Véronique Maranda

Diana Matheson

Erin McLeod

Isabelle Morneau

Carmelina Moscato

Marie-Ève Nault

Andrea Neil

Sharolta Nonen

Christine Sinclair

Taryn Swiatek

Brittany Timko

Rhian Wilkinson

kara lang was named to the roster early on but replaced. she has a few nagging injuries that needs some rest so that she'll be ready to go in february for oly qualifying.

team gathers in vancouver on the 23rd for a few days of training before heading to shenzhen, china on the 26th via. hong kong.

for more info and random thoughts i have about this tourney etc., check out this thread over at the Go Big Red!! forums:

http://www.gobigred.ca/forum/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000049

:D

elaine

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Guess no TV coverage right? Anyhow you can get copies of the TV tapes that surely will be taken over in China and get them copied for us soccer nuts. You must have connections perhaps?

we'll see? i think there's local broadcast of the games ... and i'll have to ask around to see if i can get copy.

just to update, seems like two more players have been added to the roster going to china ...

aysha jamani and isabelle harvey

and christine latham has been replaced although i am not sure the reason etc. so that makes it 19 players going to china, and they are:

Sasha Andrews

Tanya Dennis

Isabelle Harvey

Randee Hermus

Charmaine Hooper

Aysha Jamani

Karina LeBlanc

Véronique Maranda

Diana Matheson

Erin McLeod

Isabelle Morneau

Carmelina Moscato

Marie-Ève Nault

Andrea Neil

Sharolta Nonen

Christine Sinclair

Taryn Swiatek

Brittany Timko

Rhian Wilkinson

... yipee on isa's inclusion!!! :: does happy dance ::

elaine

Jan. 23, 2004. 01:00 AM

Depleted soccer squad off to China

Four top women's players hurting Pellerud turns to `youngsters'

NORMAN DA COSTA

SPORTS REPORTER

After the euphoria of an unexpected fourth-place finish at last year's World Cup, Canadian national women's coach Even Pellerud has set his sights on making it to the Olympics in Athens this summer.

On paper, one wouldn't expect that to be a huge hurdle, since Canada must finish in the top two of a CONCACAF qualifying tournament to be held in Costa Rica at the end of next month.

But Pellerud, who in four short years has transformed Canada from also-rans to contenders, has been dealt a severe blow prior to the qualifying and the Four Nations tournament that kicks off in Shenzhen, China Jan. 30.

He will be without four of his top players, out with injury, as well as striker Silvana Burtini, who recently announced her international retirement after earning 78 caps for her country.

Defender Candace Chapman (knee), strikers Christine Latham (torn muscle) and Kara Lang (knee) and midfielder Breanna Boyd (neck) will miss the trip to China. Lang and Boyd could recover in time for the qualifying games, but Pellerud said he is not holding his breath.

Only defender Randee Hermus, who will miss the China tournament because of a stress fracture, is expected back for the qualifiers.

With his top three strikers out, Pellerud has unearthed another young goal scorer in Calgary's Aysha Jamani, who gets her first shot with the senior team.

Pellerud, who has shown he can find talent, said two others from the junior ranks will get their first taste of international competition in China.

"I always believe in giving the youngsters a chance of playing internationally as it is good for them to be challenged," said Pellerud, who led the Norwegian women to the 1995 World Cup.

It will certainly be a challenge because the other countries in the tournament are host China, World Cup runner-up Sweden and the U.S.

"It is flattering that we received an invitation for this Chinese tournament," said Pellerud. "While we will not be at full strength, it will give us the competition we need to get prepared for Costa Rica."

Pellerud will have the squad together for just three days in Vancouver before the team departs for China on Monday.

In Costa Rica, Canada will be grouped with the host, Jamaica and Panama while the U.S. is pooled with Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti.

The winner of Pool A meets the runner-up of Pool B and vice versa in the semis.

The biggest challenge for top place will come from the U.S., a former world champion still smarting after taking the bronze medal at last year's World Cup. The others with a chance of qualifying for Athens include Mexico and Costa Rica.

Costa Rica gave Mexico a tough fight in the Gold Cup a year ago.

Pellerud said he realizes after the country rose to support the team during the World Cup, the expectations at home will be high in China and Costa Rica despite the injury woes.

"The team brought a lot of attention to the country and all of the feedback we received was positive," Pellerud said.

"The squad is very aware of what they did last year. Now we have to readjust and refocus to get to our goal — Athens."

i have a bone to pick with norman decosta ... it's called: LOOK AT THE ROSTER!!!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Only defender Randee Hermus, who will miss the China tournament because of a stress fracture, is expected back for the qualifiers.

dude ... look at the roster going to china!!! randee's going!!! she's healed back up ...

elaine

Well, Elaine, he did interview Pellerud directly (maybe before the official rooster was released by the CSA, who are notoriuoisly ineffiecient in timely and full notice). Perhaps Pellerud told him this shortly before it was released. Maybe Hermus is just a hopeful add-on to the roster because Pellerud doesn't need to bring any more players to a three game friendly tournament.

I agree that sports journalists have to be more careful in checking their details, even when things change quickly. Although perhaps not the calibre of a Davidson, Da Costa is one of the better soccer writers in Canada, and certainly several steps above a number who shall remain unmentioned herein. His overall very postive contribution surely outweighs any small slip-ups.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Well, Elaine, he did interview Pellerud directly (maybe before the official rooster was released by the CSA, who are notoriuoisly ineffiecient in timely and full notice). Perhaps Pellerud told him this shortly before it was released. Maybe Hermus is just a hopeful add-on to the roster because Pellerud doesn't need to bring any more players to a three game friendly tournament.

I agree that sports journalists have to be more careful in checking their details, even when things change quickly. Although perhaps not the calibre of a Davidson, Da Costa is one of the better soccer writers in Canada, and certainly several steps above a number who shall remain unmentioned herein. His overall very postive contribution surely outweighs any small slip-ups.

Boy beachesl you sure have some balls trying to defend Da Costa on this forum. If he were a sports writer in England, he won't have made it passed the first day on the job. Unfortunally in Canada we have to take what we can get when it comes to soccer coverage.

Also yesterdays Globe and Mail article (link posted above) suggests Lang and Latham will both be ready for the ever important Olympic qualifications. This is much different then Da Costa's take on the sitaution.

bottom line: randee hermus is going to china. she was on the roster that was selected a few weeks ago in which b/t then and now kara lang and christine latham have been replaced.

i'm just saying dacosta made the mistake of saying randee was not going to china when obviously she is. i think he just got confused with all the other injuries on the team ...

i'm optomistic that we'll have a decent showing ... but it's really hard to say. lots of factor to consider beyond lineup and such.

plus, the other teams (from my understanding) have been training since early january, and our last camp was in december ... a few days in vancouver will not really give us time to "catch up" ... but i think coach pellerud is going into this tourney with the idea of trying out new things...there are a lot of new players that i am sure will get some time ... old players in new roles and such.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll have a good showing.

elaine

The one thing I don't like about how are women played (this is just my observation and is probably screwed up) in the World Cup is that we didn't attack enough when we needed to. I thought the final minutes against Sweden were brutal and the game as a whole against the Americans was awful. When we scored against China I tought we layed back a bit too much also. I just don't think we will do all that well at this tournament.

Tournament cancelled?

Soccer head gets red card

By JIM KERNAGHAN -- London Free Press

Count venerable Canadian soccer star Charmaine Hooper among those women who'd enjoy giving Sepp Blatter a kick in the pants over hot pants.

The global chief of world soccer suggested female players would look better in sexier uniforms. A lot of players -- a lot of women, for that matter -- would love to splatter Blatter.

"His comment doesn't need my comment at all," said the ageless scoring star and head table guest for last night's London Sports Celebrity Dinner and Auction. "Everyone knows what to think of it."

Not much, apparently.

Blatter, whose official title is president of the Federation Internationale de Football Associations (FIFA), spoke of "more feminine uniforms" adding "tighter shorts, for example."

Female soccer players worldwide were prepared to line up for a corner kick. That is to say, kicking Blatter into a corner.

Canadian national team wunderkind Kara Lang was to the point on the matter.

"I can think of a number of players who wouldn't be caught dead in hot pants on the field," the 17-year-old Oakville resident said.

Hooper, considered the queen of Canadian soccer, has more important things on her mind than football fashion. No. 1 is the Olympic Games next summer in Athens.

It would mark the crowning achievement in her distinguished 17-year career although, at 35, the super-fit goal-scorer with more than 100 international games for Canada has not set a timetable for retirement. "It would be a first for Canadian women's soccer. We've never been in the Olympics before."

The Canadian women, a growing force on the international scene, first must qualify in a tournament next month in Costa Rica involving teams from North and Central America and the Caribbean. Two advance and the favourites are Canada and the U.S.

"But we want to win, not just become one of two teams advancing," Hooper said. "We CAN win."

Hooper, who lives in Chicago, has been training for a four nations tournament in China. But the SARS scare in that country has pretty well scuttled it.

Hooper, who has played professionally in Japan, Norway and the U.S., credits coach Even Pellerud as the main reason Canada's women have become more competitive than any time in their history.

"He's really smart tactically," she said. "He's been there. He coached Norway to the World Cup title."

The development of young players is another reason, she says. Prime among them is Lang, who became the youngest person to play in the World Cup last year.

"She's only 17, but she's not your average 17-year-old," Hooper said of the hard-shooting youngster. "She's been playing senior soccer."

Good coaching, player identification and the experienced head of Hooper has Canadian women's soccer in a promising position but barriers remain.

For all the advances, there's been a nagging negative more or less underlined by the head honcho of the game. Blatter's opinion that sex appeal might help sell the game flies in the face of facts. It's been selling itself based on the action.

Hooper will be the first to tell you that despite the team's successes, sexism is not far away. A few years ago, she put the verbal boots to the Canadian Soccer Association, claiming it was not as committed to the women's program as it was to the men's.

She didn't back off those comments yesterday, merely adding another culprit.

"There's definitely more money (for the women's program), but we're still way behind," she said. "It's not just the CSA, it's FIFA. When we qualify, we get nothing. When the men qualify, their programs get millions from FIFA."

Actually FIFA provides advice on their ensembles, which is worse than nothing.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Tournament cancelled?

that was an old article from a week ago (or so) ... there was talk about SARS cancelling the trip, but that was incorrect and was just something that was speculated.

the team landed in hong kong this morning (really early morning, our time) and is in shenzhen already.

elaine

picture from practice earlier today:

Img218796004.jpg

so there's proof that randee hermus did go to china ;) lol

and if anyone is interested in seeing our canadian players' names in chinese .. just head over to the pre-tourney thead for 4NT at the Go Big Red!! forums for that!

elaine

Archived