CSA Press Release

Guest Ed

YALLOP NAMED HEAD COACH OF THE CANADIAN MEN’S WORLD CUP TEAM

Former Canadian International Assumes Responsibilities January 1, 2004

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association today named former Canadian international defender Frank Yallop as head coach of the Men’s World Cup Team, effective January 1, 2004 through to the end of 2006. The contract also holds an option for an extension to 2010. All other terms of the contract are confidential.

The team has been without a head coach since Holger Osieck resigned on September 2. Colin Miller, another former Canadian international and a teammate of Yallop’s acted as interim head coach for the recent friendlies against Finland, Czech Republic and the Republic of Ireland.

On November 23rd, Yallop led the San Jose Earthquakes to their second MLS Championship in his three-year tenure as head coach with a 4-2 win over the Chicago Fire in the MLS Cup.

“I am delighted to be able to welcome Frank Yallop as our new head coach of the Men’s World Cup Team,” said CSA President Andy Sharpe who introduced Yallop at a media conference at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, BC, today. “The CSA conducted a comprehensive search for the best person to lead the World Cup team into 2006 World Cup Qualifying but right from the start, the unanimous belief was that Frank Yallop was the man for the job. His recent success in the MLS, combined with his impressive national team career make him the ideal and logical choice.”

Yallop will hold a training camp for North American based players in Ft. Lauderdale from January 12-23 and those players will take part in an international friendly against Barbados in Bridgetown on January 18.

Also, as part of the team’s preparations for their opening World Cup Qualifyer against Belize on June 13, the team will play the Earthquakes on Saturday, June 5 in San Jose.

“This is a day that I have long dreamed about,” said Yallop, who grew up in New Westminster. “I took great pride in playing for my country and to be named head coach of the Canadian men’s national team is indeed a great honour. I was involved in World Cup Qualifying as a player for the 1994 and 1998 World Cups and I am eager to get started on trying to qualify for 2006.”

Yallop began his coaching career in 1998 with the US Project-40 team on a five-game tour of England. After the completion of the tour, he was hired as an assistant coach in Tampa Bay, where he had played from 1996-1998. In 2000, he served as the chief assistant to Thomas Rongen, who coached him in 1996 with the Mutiny, with three-time MLS Champion DC United.

He was hired as head coach of the Earthquakes in February, 2001 and took them from a league worst 7-17-8 record in 2000 to a 13-7-6 record in 2001 and the MLS championship. For his efforts, Yallop was named the 2001 MLS Coach of the Year. In 2002 the team compiled a record of 14-11-3 but was knocked out of the playoffs. In 2003, the team posted the best record in the MLS and defeated the Los Angeles Galaxy in a home and away two game series 5-4 on aggregate, despite losing the first game 2-0 and being down 4-0 on aggregate before scoring five consecutive goals. The team then defeated the Kansas City Wizards in the Western Conference Final and the Chicago Fire in the MLS Cup on November 23, 2003. Yallop was a finalist for the 2003 MLS Coach of the Year.

Yallop’s playing career spanned nearly 20 years both in England and the United States. A gritty and tough defender, he made 376 appearances and scored nine goals with Ipswich Town FC in England, the team with which he signed his first professional contract at the age of 16. From 1996-1998, he played in 88 games, and was named the Mutiny’s Defender of the Year in both 1997 and 1998.

Yallop enjoyed an excellent international career and was a stalwart on the Canadian defence throughout the Nineties. He made his debut against Mexico in 1990 and then became a regular on the Canadian defence, appearing in every match he was available for from his debut through to the end of qualifying for the 1998 World Cup. His final game was against Costa Rica in 1997. He was named captain in 1997 for a World Cup Qualifyer against the USA.

Yallop will move to Vancouver with his wife Karen and sons Jack and Samuel in February and will work out of the new CSA national teams’ office in downtown Vancouver at the Vancouver Whitecaps offices.

Excellent news about the Ft. Lauderdale camp for N.A. based players and the friendly in Barbados. Who do you think will be invited to camp?

Some players I think will be there:

SJ: Onstad, DeRosario; Mtl: Sutton, DiTullio, Nash, Pizzolitto, Fronimadis, Ngon; Tor: Zagar, Aristodemo; Cal: ?? ; Van: Franks, Jordan, Heald, Valente; Other teams: Watson, Fletcher

Comments? Suggestions?

Albert

Guest Jeffery S.

"Yallop will move to Vancouver with his wife Karen and sons Jack and Samuel in February and will work out of the new CSA national teams’ office in downtown Vancouver at the Vancouver Whitecaps offices."

This was hinted at in another article or post, but it leads to certain speculations. Are the Whitecaps to be a sort of club sponsor of the CSA? If so, were the other A-League clubs consulted about the propriety of this?

Or are we before the beginnings of Kerfoot and Crystal becoming a sponsor of the national program? Or could it be that they are all there to work on a future stadium project that the CSA would support in Vancouver with Whitecaps and corporate support? Maybe someone has a better line on what this is going to mean?

The San Jose Earthquakes reports suggests the San Jose friendly is indeed part of the deal for bringing to Canada.

I would hope that the January camp isn't just for North American players, though with Pozniak & Atiba looking for new clubs I don't think we will see them there (and Atiba should be on his Udinese trial at that point). However, the Norwegian-based players, plus Stamatopolous & Menezes ought to be available.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I wouldn't be surprised if the January camp also included Euro players who are out of season (ie: Scandinavia).

I think the camp must include Euro players on winter break (Scandanavia, Germany and mayber Austria and Switzerland, too). Let's face it, only a few of our WCQ squad are going to come from North America (DeRosario and Onstad lead the list). Yallop would do well to check out Stamotopolous, Pozniak, Reda, Jazic, Canizalez, etc. if he has the chance.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Excellent news about the Ft. Lauderdale camp for N.A. based players and the friendly in Barbados. Who do you think will be invited to camp?

Some players I think will be there:

SJ: Onstad, DeRosario; Mtl: Sutton, DiTullio, Nash, Pizzolitto, Fronimadis, Ngon; Tor: Zagar, Aristodemo; Cal: ?? ; Van: Franks, Jordan, Heald, Valente; Other teams: Watson, Fletcher

Comments? Suggestions?

Albert

Id agree on the Lynx players youve suggested, and Id think that Adrian Serioux would be a near lock as well for such a camp. Also earning mentions would be Tyler Hughes, Joe Mattachione (who may not be healthy for January, broken foot), Shawn Faria and Dave Diplacido (highly recommended there).

Also notable to consider: Niki Budalic will likely be available for the camp and shoudl be put into consideration.

what about the 2 year deal ...

did the CSA learn its lesson with Holger ...

OR

do canadians have to prove themselves ...

OR

did yallop's agent blow it ...

what's the deal with the 2 year deal ...

doesn't pellerud have himself a pretty nice looking long term deal ...

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

what about the 2 year deal ...

did the CSA learn its lesson with Holger ...

OR

do canadians have to prove themselves ...

OR

did yallop's agent blow it ...

what's the deal with the 2 year deal ...

doesn't pellerud have himself a pretty nice looking long term deal ...

Well, technically its a 3 year deal: 2004, 2005, 2006. It has an extention option to 2010. I like the idea of the CSA running contracts until the end of WC years. Seems win-win. If Frank truly sucks, then we are done with him. If Frank is basking in the glory of a 1/4 final appearance then he can go to Ipswich without hassle. And if things end up somewhere in between where the CSA is happy, and Frank has no better options then the mechanism is in place to extent it for another four years.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Or are we before the beginnings of Kerfoot and Crystal becoming a sponsor of the national program? Or could it be that they are all there to work on a future stadium project that the CSA would support in Vancouver with Whitecaps and corporate support? Maybe someone has a better line on what this is going to mean?

Crystal is being taken over by a French company. My friend works for them and he may be out of a job. So I doubt Crystal is involved on any level. Probably using the Whitecaps office more for convenience sake than anything else. He is a former Vancouver boy after all. Mind you Kerfoot seems to be a class act in the soccer world here, so I wouldn't doubt if there were some Stadium speculation going on. Especially since rumours are coming out about a new stadium for the Caps.

Archived