Josh Simpson's Goal

codegoat

quote:Originally posted by codegoat

Hey,

I am saving the stream from Dubai TV right now, I will cut it down to the 30 seconds of Canada's replay. Then I will put it on here.

I will have it up here, hopefully within the hour.

-Travis

I put the link and you the talent!!..good job man!!

Not to take anything away from Josh's wonder-strike--it was a truly beautiful goal--but Iain should get a lot of credit as well. Not only taking the ball at the half but also running at a defender and placing a sweet, sweet cross. I'm sure their performance in Dubai will increase these two guys' stock immensely.

Another nice thing to see was that in the pack of defenders running to the box, there was another Canadian going forward as well. Surely this kind of confidence is what will help us to keep winning these matches.

Thanks very much for putting up the goal videos, and add my thanks and congrats for your brother to the chorus!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

matt,

Good words. I think that somebody who is getting the least credit but should get more, is Alim Karim. Wow, sounds like he pretty much held them together at the end.

Iain's cross was amazing, the accuracy... The entire team did awesome, it was definately not a single effort, not by any means.

Go Canada! :)

Glorious footwork, splendid footwork, pin-point cross, expert finish!!

Man, this Hume kid is something else. I saw him take on defenders like that against Costa Rica at the Gold Cup, creating space for himself by running right a defenders. Ah man, I love it!

Brilliant goal. I first saw Josh on TV at the qualifying tournament when we beat the US to make it to UAE, and I was immediately impressed. I remember thinking at the time, "if this guy could just get picked up by a quality Euro side he could make a serious career out of this."

Codegoat, since you've been nice enough to post here, can you fill us in on whether Josh has hopes or aspirations to play in Europe, and if so when?

Hey Dave,

Being Josh's older brother... we have had talks about this stuff. For now, Josh would like to finish school (he will graduate in 2005) and then is going to see what doors he has the option of choosing from.

We would all love to see him have the opportunity to play in Europe, there is absolutely no doubt about that. I guess it all depends on what his options when he graduates.

Thoughts?

-Travis

well, it's not my place to give advice in such matter, and I'm certainly no expert. It's easy to say that a young guy with obvious talent should try to catch on with a good club at as young an age as possible. However, obviously I have no knowledge of Josh's situation at school, and what options he may have once this tournament ends. It's a tricky decision really. Do you risk having a player lose critical years of development by staying in North America, or do you risk him getting chewed up and spit out because he is not ready (talent wise or in terms of "professionalism") for Europe? Like I said, I have absolutely NO knowledge of what would be best in Josh's particular situation. I just hope he makes the decision that is right for him and his future. I suspect that his intent to finish school may be put to the test rather quickly, assuming that pro scouts have been following Canada's games.

well, it's not my place to give advice in such matter, and I'm certainly no expert. It's easy to say that a young guy with obvious talent should try to catch on with a good club at as young an age as possible. However, obviously I have no knowledge of Josh's situation at school, and what options he may have once this tournament ends. It's a tricky decision really. Do you risk having a player lose critical years of development by staying in North America, or do you risk him getting chewed up and spit out because he is not ready (talent wise or in terms of "professionalism") for Europe? Like I said, I have absolutely NO knowledge of what would be best in Josh's particular situation. I just hope he makes the decision that is right for him and his future. I suspect that his intent to finish school may be put to the test rather quickly, assuming that pro scouts have been following Canada's games.

I read a recent article on Josh Simpson in which he said he planned to finish university then hopefully be drafted by the MLS. That seems a logical approach. If, as a result of the U20 tourney, he gets some serious -- and realistic -- European interest, then I'm sure he'll revise his thinking. But until then, his present "school/MLS" path make pretty good sense to me.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

I read a recent article on Josh Simpson in which he said he planned to finish university then hopefully be drafted by the MLS. That seems a logical approach. If, as a result of the U20 tourney, he gets some serious -- and realistic -- European interest, then I'm sure he'll revise his thinking. But until then, his present "school/MLS" path make pretty good sense to me.

I agree. It sounds cliche, but he'll have his education in the bag. No need for he, or any of the other NCAA boys, to make any hasty decisions.

The only issue is that without a green card the MLS teams shy away. They were saying before last year's combine that Rob Friend would have been a top draft pick if he had a green card, but nobody even drafted him. It's still a very difficult decision to be made by the young fellow and his family.

Ed raises an important point. Canadians are not on a level playing field when it comes to MLS. I wonder whether Josh would be better off taking a good offer from a European club right now (assuming such an offer is made) rather than risk falling off the pro scouts' radar screens as time passes. Hopefully his agent is giving him good advice.

Oh boy, I wouldn't envy anyone who'd found (or might find) themselves in that sort of possition. I'm guessing Simpson's at Portland on an athletic scholorship of some sort so it would have to be some serious offer to get the man turning his back on that.

Still, plently of people have taken a year or two off school (knowing their own situation best that they could) to try out the real world. Can become a wasteful holiday or a lesson in maturing but at least years later you're not sitting in an office cubicle thinking "what if".

Tough. Is it nothing ventured-nothing gained or nothing ventured-nothing lost? ****ty part is both answers can be right and wrong at the same time

Whoa. This has got my head spinning.

Will use up one more tired expression, though, more or less. Hard work and planning will make good things happen but great things happen all at once.

Yours truly

Dr. ZenCheeta

Archived