Josh Simpson's Goal

codegoat

I agree about going to Europe. My only advice to Simpson is remember what happened to Aristodemeo after this tournament. He starred for Canada and dominated in midfield in the match I saw against Argentina. At the time, I would have rated him and Bent the best on the side with De Rossario a close third. Aristodemeo stayed in school and hoped to be drafted by the MLS. He lost in my opinion two crucial years of development and when he was finished he basically was drafted low (if at all) probably related to the fact that he was a Canadian. Since then, he has been unable to get to Europe.

In the interim, Stalteri went to Werner Bremen after the 97 U-20s and the rest is history. He improved considerably over those two years whilst Aristodemeo stagnated (along with Jeff Clarke who couldn't get to Europe with a quality side either or to the MLS). Bent and DeRossario after a brief stint with a to be relegated Bundesliga side stayed in NA and their careers have suffered in comparison to Stalteri's.

Of course, this maybe a rather simple analysis but I would take a position with a quality European side over the MLS and definitely college at this stage of development as the next couple of years are crucial for a player's development.

I wonder if we might see the return of Robbie to the national team pool in the new era. Certainly he could help us keep possession in those Central American cities, moreso than someone like Hastings would (if we are going to talk about players used on the left side of midfield). Without Holger as coach the door may have been opened, especially if the story about the camp for North American players in January is true.

I think Friend was actually drafted by Chicago in the last round or something like that, and possibly the draft was after Friend signed in Norway (I can't recall the timing) but the point is well-made - without a green card it becomes more difficult to get drafted by the MLS teams, though I suppose that expansion will help a little in this regard (especially if the MLS were to expand into Canada, but I don't think Josh would want to rely on that happening unless there is some significant news between now & his 2005 graduation).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I wonder if we might see the return of Robbie to the national team pool in the new era. Certainly he could help us keep possession in those Central American cities, moreso than someone like Hastings would (if we are going to talk about players used on the left side of midfield). Without Holger as coach the door may have been opened, especially if the story about the camp for North American players in January is true.

I think Friend was actually drafted by Chicago in the last round or something like that, and possibly the draft was after Friend signed in Norway (I can't recall the timing) but the point is well-made - without a green card it becomes more difficult to get drafted by the MLS teams, though I suppose that expansion will help a little in this regard (especially if the MLS were to expand into Canada, but I don't think Josh would want to rely on that happening unless there is some significant news between now & his 2005 graduation).

Friend was definitely drafted after signing in Norway (or after he made his intentions clear he was going to Norway). I think I remember reading that he could have went in the first round if he had not signed there. Of course, he probably would have been on 24k a year which is likely far less than what he's making now in Norway.

Personally, if I was Josh, I would finish school. Particularly if he is already in 3rd year. Having a university degree would be great for his post-soccer career. Besides, with the connections that Canadians seem to have in Scandinavia now, Im sure a player as talented as him could get a contract there.

I dunno, G-L... i think robbies days are numbered for national soccer. As much I think he is a star on the lynx, he really isnt good enough to crack the national squad. (well neither is hastings, but well umm cough...) Anyways, It seems that robbie is too fast for his own good. He needs to slow the ball down alot more and not to force plays. His touch also needs to improve a bit if he is going to be the quick speedy guy. I can remember several times where the ball gets caught up in his feet. Robbie is a great guy and i wish him the best, but if he is going to make the jump to the national team, he is going to have to improve on those things and possible give a few xmas presents to yallop. :)

G-L and others, you were right. Friend was in fact drafted by Chicago, in the 5th round number 35 overall. I remember the broadcasting team at the January friendly with the USA saying they thought he would go top 10 if he had a green card.

I know there may be little chance, but I would love to see Josh on the pitch for Victoria United again this summer. We will be playing a pre-season friendly with Morioka Zebra and finishing the season by hosting the JF Kennedy Cup.

:D

Getting back to the topic at hand...

If I were Josh, and there were Euro clubs who express definate interest in him, then I would really consider making the move to the club. Obviously it depends what the club is offering. But if the club is serious on getting him, then maybe it would be wise to take the oppurtunity while it still exists.

At the same time, he may be able to finish his bac through distance education. I know UBC offers this option (my wife just finished her bac in nursing with UBC).

Best of luck to Josh. Whatever decision he makes should be what's best for him.

Massimo

If Josh is serious about wanting a pro career, then he has to leave College. If he were an american, he might get an opportunity with the MLS to make up for the lost years (if he stayed), but as a Canuck, its just lost development time. An offer in Europe would be the best choice. He can always return to college (have to pay his own way, of course) if things don't work out. Staying in college for 4 years will be a mistake from a pro perspective. If he is uncertain about a Pro career, then stay in school.

Hey, thanks for sending me over there... I replied, hopefully I will be able to help him. We also need to find websites to host the file... Bittorrent will work, but with so many people downloading it, it would take probably 3+ days for any of us to get it!!

I'll be digging up webspace over the next little while, I have a place that he can upload it to, but if I had everybody download from there, it would cost me probably a couple hundred bucks!! :) hehe I'll check out what it will cost, and maybe that will be a viable option (if it is resonably cheap...)

I'll be on here all day, so let me know any ideas.

-Travis

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Jay is way off the mark with that comment, but he definatly isnt national team material at this point in time

Hastings sets the bar fairly low - as long as he's better than Hastings, he qualifies.[:o)]

If Josh Simpson keeps up the good play, hopefully we'll see him on the left flank in the near future.

Archived