World Cup Draw Friday

matthew

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Honduras may have their home game against us in San Pedro Sula on the Carribean coast if they get it in August or September, as the heat and humidity there would be frightening. They have done that before for qualifying matches, to good effect.

And Guatemala hold their matches not in Guatemala City but in Mazatenango and Quetzaltenango. If I remember correctly, a big deal was made of this in 2002 WCQ because these cities are in the middle of nowhere and are especially hot and humid. Guatemala tied the US and defeated Costa Rica in these cities in the semifinal round.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drawing the group of death sucks, but as long as we win our matches at home (9 crucial points) we should make it to the hex.

Speaking of home matches, does anybody know which leg of the Belize series will be played in Canada (the first leg or the second leg)? I won't be going to Belize but I'm going to do my best to get to the home leg of the series, wherever in Canada it happens to take place.

Not at all. I was thinking the same thing. But it's been quite a day on the board what with the Under 20s moving on to the second round and the WCQ draw. Makes it tough for a guy to concentrate on work!

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Would it be too cynical of me to point out that the team that must be most pleased with the draw is the nation that the President of CONCACAF is from?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

And Guatemala hold their matches not in Guatemala City but in Mazatenango and Quetzaltenango. If I remember correctly, a big deal was made of this in 2002 WCQ because these cities are in the middle of nowhere and are especially hot and humid. Guatemala tied the US and defeated Costa Rica in these cities in the semifinal round.

Mazatenango is the jungle and very hot and humid...the stadium and pitch there were nice though.

Quetzaltenango is not as hot, but is in the mountains at 8,000 feet (higher than Mexico City).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Would it be too cynical of me to point out that the team that must be most pleased with the draw is the nation that the President of CONCACAF is from?

Cynic! I have to think that Barbados is pretty happy as well. A trip to the hex requires knocking off only the weakest (and getting weaker) of the top 6. If that team were to ever make, I'd say this is the time. One good road game from Shaun Goater...

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

According to the PDF on FIFA's site the match days for the second phase of the first round will be June 12 and 13, 2004; followed by June 19 and 20, 2004. The also have the match-days for the following rounds which begin in August 2004.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/draw.html

Just scroll down to the CONCACAF zone.

Yet, NO schedule as to where each match date will occur. I think CONCACAF may be a bit more careful in approving venues, having an eye to climate and time of year. El Salvador apparently laid a stinker with them about the Olympic qualifier in Kelowna (as well as the American referee that presided), and as DJT and JG mentioned, there have been complaints about some of Guatemala's venues.

The CSA site says that the second game is in Belize will on June 19 or 20 (if you are going, leave a few days on either side, because they may have the game in either Orange Walk or San Pedro, the former about three hours from the airport at Belize City the later a 4 hour boat ride), and who knows where the game on "June 13", probably in Canada, will be. My bet would be on Kingston or somewhere in Atlantic Canada, as CSA will probably envision fewer spectators, and will want to schedule an eastern match before setting the higher profile matches in the fall in Edmonton, Vancouver or Victoria in the fall.

I can't see the dates being set, even on present seedings, for the Group of Four until late June at the earliest. This will involve horse-trading and hard-looking at climates in committee (there won't be a draw). Look for Canada in August, one date in September, one date in early October, and the rest (including the November date) down south.

And NO, my bet is that Montreal or Ottawa won't get a match. The artificial "grass" may be fine for the "junior ladies", but each time the idea is put up in the venue approving committee, the foriegners will object and CONCACAF will consider it no more. The principle of the ersatz stuff being fine will not be worth fighting for in the minds of any, though CSA may say they did.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Yet, NO schedule as to where each match date will occur.

According to the "draw procedure" for CONCACAF, the team whose ball was pulled out of the pot first hosts the first leg. According to the draw summary posted by FIFA, Canada will apparently host the first leg:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releases/wc_summary_a3.pdf

(assuming that the team listed first hosts the opening leg)

quote:I think CONCACAF may be a bit more careful in approving venues, having an eye to climate and time of year. El Salvador apparently laid a stinker with them about the Olympic qualifier in Kelowna (as well as the American referee that presided), and as DJT and JG mentioned, there have been complaints about some of Guatemala's venues.

I hope not...as long as the stadium and pitch are reasonable, weather and altitude are just part of the homefield advantage IMO.

Thanks, JG , for the correction, concerning the home and away schedule for the first two series.

I agree that such homefield advantage should not fairly be considered in scheduling, but there seems to be one standard for normal tropical conditions (and bags of urine) and another for a little bracing cool weather. I guess we'll wait and see what CONCACAF does or doesn't do in this area. I would love to see a sub-zero match at Commonwealth in November!

So how would you like the schedule to be for the semi final round?

this is my pick considering that it is unlikely that we will play home away home away home away for travelling purposes.

Honduras Canada

Canada Guatemala

Canada Costa Rica

Guatemala Canada

Costa Rica Canada

Canada Honduras

quote:Originally posted by Reza

So how would you like the schedule to be for the semi final round?

this is my pick considering that it is unlikely that we will play home away home away home away for travelling purposes.

Honduras Canada

Canada Guatemala

Canada Costa Rica

Guatemala Canada

Costa Rica Canada

Canada Honduras

I don't know about you guys but I'm still holding out hope that we'll be matched with Cuba, Aruba, and Antigua and Barbuda. I'd tell you those are three road matches I'd be attending. [8D]

As for the fixture list above (if you match it to FIFA's match schedule), that would mean Aug. 18 in Guatemala, Sept. 4 or 5 in Canada, Sept. 8 in Canada, Oct. 9 in Guatemala, Oct. 13 in Costa Rica and Nov. 17 in Canada.

One positive is Sept. 4-5 is the first match-day for Euro qualifying, so there'd be a league break.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Cynic! I have to think that Barbados is pretty happy as well. A trip to the hex requires knocking off only the weakest (and getting weaker) of the top 6. If that team were to ever make, I'd say this is the time. One good road game from Shaun Goater...

Actually, Goater is Bermudan. Barbados is led by international super-striker Ryan Lucas... ummm, yeah, Im leaning more towards the TnT happiness :)

I'd like

Costa Rica-Canada

Canada-Guatemala

Honduras-Canada

Guatemala-Canada

Canada-Costa Rica

Canada-Honduras

I don't mind playing our toughest tie first. It leaves little pressure and any result would be a great kick off to the campaign. Save the tougher home games to the end when hopefully our weather will be a factor.

I don't relish a trip to Mazatenango. That's the other downside, I don't see any too many appealing travel destinations.

cheers,

matthew

27.03.2002 - BELIZE CITY (BLZ)

Belize - Guyana 3:1 (2:1)

Classification:F Friendly > 2002

24.06.2001 - BELIZE CITY (BLZ)

Belize - Cuba 3:2 (0:2)

Classification:F Friendly > 2001

25.05.2001 - TEGUCIGALPA (HON)

Guatemala - Belize 3:3 (2:2)

Classification:CQ UNCAF Nations Cup 2001 > Final

23.05.2001 - TEGUCIGALPA (HON)

Costa Rica - Belize 4:0 (2:0)

Classification:CQ UNCAF Nations Cup 2001 > Final

26.04.2001 - BELIZE CITY (BLZ)

Belize - Nicaragua 1:1

24.04.2001 - BELIZE CITY (BLZ)

Belize - Nicaragua 2:0

19.05.2000 - SAN PEDRO SULA (HON)

Guatemala - Belize 0:0

Classification:WQ WC > 2002 > Preliminary Compet

16.04.2000 - ORANGE WALK TOWN (BLZ)

Belize - El Salvador 1:3 (0:1)

19.03.2000 - SAN PEDRO SULA (HON)

Belize - Guatemala 1:2 (1:1)

5.03.2000 - SAN SALVADOR (SLV)

El Salvador - Belize 5:0 (2:0)

Well, theyve played a grand total of six games recognized by fifa in the last 3 years... but their results are definitely not shabby. Doesn't look like the US Virgin Islands here boys. No reason we shouldn't beat them, but this isn't some vacation in the sun either. Mind you, according to

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

As for the fixture list above (if you match it to FIFA's match schedule), that would mean Aug. 18 in Guatemala, Sept. 4 or 5 in Canada, Sept. 8 in Canada, Oct. 9 in Guatemala, Oct. 13 in Costa Rica and Nov. 17 in Canada.

One positive is Sept. 4-5 is the first match-day for Euro qualifying, so there'd be a league break.

I'm pretty sure all those dates are international dates (ie. league breaks), though of course that doesn't mean as much for players not playing in top tiers.

Matthew,

the only problem with your model is the travel time...I would be surprised if the players and their respective associations would be willing to drag their players out to Edmonton, then out of Edmonton all the way to central America and then back to their respective clubs and in case of Canada back to Europe.

In fact, in terms of jet lag, there is really no doubt that these games will have to be played in one side of CONCACAF or the other.

Otherwise,if we had a choice, I would be happiest with a home-away pattern with the last game being a home game.

Good group. Not displeased at all. You'll notice I'm treating Belize as an after thought. Whatever club side they send (strengthened with rival's ringers I'm sure) might have a little understanding and some fluid play, but I just can't imagine them scoring a goal on us. Even in Belize.

A good competative group which'll force Canada to field a stronger squad before the hex. And I do like that. More playing time together for our 1st team is always a investment with a profitable payoff later in the day.

Plus, the games are worth broadcasting live.

P.S. If we can take the field at say 80% strength or better for all the matchs we're through to the hex maybe losing one away game. I don't mind bunkering down on the road, especialy given the CA climate we'll have to endure, but don't think we will. We've got enough players (barely) of quality I think for this group that we can spare a few of our best, and their energy, for the home dates.

P.S.S. Getting back for a moment to Belize, two things. If the dates work out, I'd love to see our best team fielded against them. Just kick the tar right out of them. Take it into double digits both legs and give their neighbours something to think on...

And since I've always got a useless story. Little One did a school project on Belize couple, three years back and just fell in love with the place from afar. What stikes me as being odd is that same year we went on short trip to a family function and happened upon a Navigator with this black & white BELIZE plate on a lonely stretch of Manitoba highway in the middle of the night trying to beat a thunderstorm. Caught myself thinking "Can you drive to Belize?" and "That's a hell of a drive." and "What the hell's he doing out here?". Struck me as realy curious. I'd have been less surprised to have seen a Martian on the shoulder trying to hitch' a ride to Neepewa.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

What stikes me as being odd is that same year we went on short trip to a family function and happened upon a Navigator with this black & white BELIZE plate on a lonely stretch of Manitoba highway in the middle of the night trying to beat a thunderstorm. Caught myself thinking "Can you drive to Belize?" and "That's a hell of a drive." and "What the hell's he doing out here?". Struck me as realy curious. I'd have been less surprised to have seen a Martian on the shoulder trying to hitch' a ride to Neepewa.

Ahahhahahahah, that's a great story! Come to think of it, other than a US plate, I've never seen a foreign one up here. That sounds like a hilarious interior monologue, though. Like "What the... huh????" :P.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

And since I've always got a useless story. Little One did a school project on Belize couple, three years back and just fell in love with the place from afar. What stikes me as being odd is that same year we went on short trip to a family function and happened upon a Navigator with this black & white BELIZE plate on a lonely stretch of Manitoba highway in the middle of the night trying to beat a thunderstorm. Caught myself thinking "Can you drive to Belize?" and "That's a hell of a drive." and "What the hell's he doing out here?". Struck me as realy curious. I'd have been less surprised to have seen a Martian on the shoulder trying to hitch' a ride to Neepewa.

Watch as the immigrant Belize community comes out of the woodwork for the match in Canada. :D

Archived