World Cup Draw Friday

matthew

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belize & Nicaragua get a bye from the first round, so we don't play until June.

Have to feel a bit sorry for Cuba & Haiti, as it is likely that Barbados & St. Vincent will get further in the competition, despite not having better teams.

Unless of course Cuba & Haiti prevail over Costa Rica & Honduras, which might not be a bad thing.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Bxl boy right that GR 1GR 2 GR 3 GR 4 are all in the same SF group? If so this is a disaster! We'd be in with Honduras, Costa Rica and Guatemala. Dios mio man! I hope that's not the case. Anyone?

Belize I'm cool with.

cheers,

matthew

We always seem to do well enough against Costa Rica and Honduras compared to say Mexico. A tough group [B)], but if we advance, only one of the 4 will come with us. Gotta beat them sooner or later. Plus, C/R may in fact be Cuba (we really need a fingers crossed icon)

Yeah we avoided the US and Mexico and we also avoided St. Vincent, Barbados, El Salvador, Jamaica and who knows who else. This is easily the group of death. I'd say the worst team in our group is better than the next best team in the MExico, Barbados, T&T. St. Vincent group.

Group 3 looks a bit easier (depending on the form of T&T), but both Group 1 and Group 2 have two tough teams to beat (Group 1 - USA & Jamaica, Group 2 - Honduras & Costa Rica).

What did you expect Matthew???

Are you kidding me? That's going to be a group - Mexico, T&T, Barbados & St. Vincent?

T&T just got a free pass to the Hex! How did to teams who finished last in their semi-final groups get put into the same group?

Ridiculous if that proves to be the case. Perhaps now the people on bigsoccer who are strong advocates of the "hex" system will admit its flawed.

I'll continue this here, I've trashed the other one

Asia</u>

Group 1</u>

Laos

Iran

Qatar

Jordan

Group 2</u>

Chinese Taipei

Uzbekistan

Iraq

Palestine

Group 3</u>

Singapore

Japan

Oman

India

Group 4</u>

Hong Kong

China

Kuwait

Malaysia

Group 5</u>

North Korea

United Arab Emirates

Thailand

Yemen

Group 6</u>

Tajikistan

Syria

Bahrain

Kygyzstan

Group 7</u>

Maldives

Lebanon

South Korea

Viet Nam

Group 8</u>

Sri Lanka

Saudi Arabia

Turkmenistan

Indonesia

Oceania</u>

Group 1</u>

Cook Islands

Tahiti

Solomon Islands

New Caledonia

Tonga

Group 2</u>

American Samoa

Fiji

Vanuatu

Papua New Guinea

Samoa

CONCACAF</u>

Grenada v Guyana (meet USA)

Bermuda v Montserrat (meet El Salvador)

Haiti v Turks & Caicos (meet Jamaica)

British Virgin Isles v St. Lucia (meet Panama)

Cayman Islands v Cuba (meet Costa Rica)

Aruba v Suniname (meet Guatemala)

Antigua/Barbuda v Netherlands Antilles (meet Honduras)

Canada v Belize

Dominica v Bahamas (meet Mexico)

US Virgin Islands v St. Kitts/Nevis (meet Barbados)

Dominican Republic v Anguilla (meet T&T)

Nicaragua v St. Vincent & Grenadines

Africa</u>

Group 1</u>

Senegal

Congo

Mali

Zambia

Togo

Liberia

Group 2</u>

South Africa

Congo DR

Burkina Faso

Ghana

Uganda

Cabo Verde

Group 3</u>

Cameroon

Egypt

Cote D'Ivoire

Lybia

Sudan

Benin

Group 4</u>

Nigeria

Zimbabwe

Algeria

Angola

Gabon

Rwanda

Group 5</u>

Tunisia

Morocco

Kenya

Guinea

Malawi

Botswana

Europe</u>

Group 1</u>

Armenia

Andorra

Macedonia

Finland

Romania

Netherlands

Czech Republic

Group 2</u>

Albania

Kazakhstan

Georgia

Ukraine

Greece

Denmark

Turkey

Group 3</u>

Liechtenstein

Luxembourg

Estonia

Latvia

Slovakia

Russia

Portugal

Group 4</u>

Faroe Islands

Cyprus

Israel

Switzerland

Republic of Ireland

France

Group 5</u>

Belarus

Moldova

Norway

Scotland

Slovenia

Italy

Group 6</u>

Northern Ireland

Azerbaijan

Wales

Austria

Poland

England

Group 7</u>

Lithuania

San Marino

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Serbia-Montenegro

Belgium

Spain

Group 8</u>

Malta

Hungary

Iceland

Bulgaria

Croatia

Sweden

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Group 3 looks a bit easier (depending on the form of T&T), but both Group 1 and Group 2 have two tough teams to beat (Group 1 - USA & Jamaica, Group 2 - Honduras & Costa Rica).

Yeah, Mexico and T & T got the break, Although I'd say we are in the group of death, I'd be just as worried if we were in with US, Jamaica and El Salvador. Besides, its pretty cool to say you are in the "Group of Death". Eeeeiigghhh! It'll be tough no doubt. Gonnna have to put our pretensions to the test a bit earlier than I'd like.

Gordon, we couldn't beat Panama away in the last round so I think we have an easier group than Group 1 (I'll take Guatemala for 4 pts please Alex).

quote:Originally posted by Franky

also, i guess you can say this will be CONCACAF's version of the 'Group of Death', bear in mind, that is if logic predicts CR, Honduras, Guatemala and Canada come altogether.

There is no doubt, unless Cuba happens to suprise Costa Rica.

El Grupo de Morte[}:)]!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I didn't expect the best team in Pot B (Honduras) and the two best teams in Pot C (us and Guatemala) to be together. At least we didn't get Mexico.

Look at Mexico's pool and the worst team in Pot B and the two worst in pot C are all together.

I'm cheering for Haiti and Cuba now.

Ed I think Guatemala are better than T&T and maybe better than Jamaica. They're certainly better than Panama. And yes we couldn't win in Panama. Note my worry. This is going to be very difficult. The only upside is that there are no unwinable games. It's not like going into Azteca, but we do get the joy of hitting central America three times, rather than Jamaica or T&T.

cheers,

matthew

I agree that it was always going to be tough. I for one am happy that we did not draw Mexico or the USA.

We have to put a team together that can win against Central American teams. Long ball anybody ;)

As for the Jamaica/Gautemala/?? comparisons, despite the last hex, I would prefer to play Guatemala over Jamaica. They've (Reggaeboys) overhauled their National Association and could be a very strong opponent.

Archived