U20s Canada v Brazil

matthew

Well we're only five days away from the game. What do we know about Brazil? I know Diego and Robinho from Santos aren't on the team, which is good news for us.

Any idea what we will look like? The biggest question for me is in goal, I guess we've got to assume that Alim Karim is starting. It may sound weird, but I think a draw here could be critical. The Czechs should be very tough (and it's not like Australia will be easy, but probably the most realistic aim for three points).

Kickoff is Friday 8:45 a.m. eastern correct?

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Well we're only five days away from the game. What do we know about Brazil? I know Diego and Robinho from Santos aren't on the team, which is good news for us.

Any idea what we will look like? The biggest question for me is in goal, I guess we've got to assume that Alim Karim is starting. It may sound weird, but I think a draw here could be critical. The Czechs should be very tough (and it's not like Australia will be easy, but probably the most realistic aim for three points).

Kickoff is Friday 8:45 a.m. eastern correct?

cheers,

matthew

Other points to note. From what I have gathered in my readings, some of the established Euro sides have had problem getting players released for the tournament. This could be an advantage for us given that we seamingly have the squad we want. The german coach alluded to half a dozen players that he was unable to secure from the clubs. I also looked at the England squad and saw no Wayne Rooney for example. Moving the event to the fall may have meant that the event now has less star power compared to Argentina 2001 which was held in the summer months.

I had posted before elsewhere that I have seen both Kleber and Adriano play in a game between Sao Paulo and Curitiba. Neither were central figures in the match. If Kleber was the player I think he was, he is physical. It will be important for Canadian defenders to hold their position against him.

Again, the Brazilian domestic game, from which these players are drawn, uses a lot of crossing patterns. What that means is that Brazilian defences tend to be a zone defence because man-to-man is difficult to co-ordinate. It is off these crossing runs that a lot of the long shots on goal happen. It will be important for Defenders to mark the player with the ball close and be ready to close down others quickly when the ball is passed to them.

Thanks Canuck Oranje. I was e-mailing a few people and got some more info on Brazil.

They're missing a lot more than just Robinho and Diego apparently. A guy in Brazil hadn't heard their roster (almost no coverage in Brazil he said) and almost all of the key players he listed from qualifying won't be there - Jean (leftback), Andre Bahia (centreback) and midfielders Felipe Mello and Wendel. The biggest name missing after the Santos boys is Carlos Alberto their attacking midfielder. They have a Carlos Alberto listed, but he's a d-mid with Figueirense, while the better one is with Fluminese.

They do have some big talents though; Daniel Alves (or just Daniel) is with FC Seville and apparently a very good right back. It's just a matter of time before he takes Cafu's spot on the national team. In qualifying Dagoberto (who a BS.com poster said was linked to AC Milan) and Daniel Carvalho were key goal scorers. Nilmar didn't play in qualifying, but he did play in the Gold Cup (though I can't navigate concacaf.com to figure out if he even played). Then Kleber is also supposed to be good, so that's four good attacking options.

As for Dudu, I heard he was sh!t (sorry I had to). :)

So this isn't the greatest Brazil team ever, but we all know they're going to be damn good anyway. It seems like their midfield could be the weakest area, but what are the odds of us not giving away possession most of the game?

Oh well, we'll see I guess.

cheers,

matthew

With Atiba and Hume, I would like to see us attack.. Brazilian defences, at least in the domestic game, are not very disciplined.

There is no question that our defence will have to be mistake free; but, I would like to see us score.

If we sit back and try to defend only, Brazil will attack in waves. Hume has good pace and Hutchinson has good experience. I think the Brazilian defence is likely to respect their skill. The key will be get them the ball in good positions.

For personal reasons, I hope we pull off the upset of the tournament in this game..

With Atiba and Hume, I would like to see us attack.. Brazilian defences, at least in the domestic game, are not very disciplined.

There is no question that our defence will have to be mistake free; but, I would like to see us score.

If we sit back and try to defend only, Brazil will attack in waves. Hume has good pace and Hutchinson has good experience. I think the Brazilian defence is likely to respect their skill. The key will be get them the ball in good positions.

For personal reasons, I hope we pull off the upset of the tournament in this game..

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I think, too, that this team has been well-prepared--maybe not as strongly as we'd like, but decent enough--and will take no prisoners, so to speak. We will foul alot and will be punishing to play against. This team will be more "adult" or "manlike" than the team we sent to Argentina, a team that looked like boys most of the time [though, to no fault of their own.] Ours is a fiercely competitive team. They will be in tough against Brazil, for sure, but they will prove a tough foe, our lads. And, don't forget the powers of Belotte in the first game of a tournie. He can be dominant in these sorts of games, is willing to run at players, and with Hume doing the same, who knows what could happen. i think it is unlikely we'll win, but we may still get a decent result.

I know there is no TV coverage, but just so things are clear for those of us following on the FIFA ticker, or some other Internet source.

The Canada-Brazil match starts at:

5:45 am PT

6:45 am MT

7:45 am CT

8:45 am ET

9:45 am AT

10:15 am NT

I for one will be getting up for 7:45 am CT. That, and I have a homework assignment to complete before my 10 am class.

Archived