What would you do if you were Yallop? [R]

sstackho

It's a tough call.

Certainly it's an honour to be the coach of your national team. But it certainly must be frustrating to be a national team coach. You don't have a full-time team to call your own, and it is a constant stuggle to get your players together. You only get to play in a fraction of the matches that a club plays. You aren't involved in the trading of players.

I could very well see a manager prefer to be with a club side over a national side.

Does anyone know if there are significant financial incentives to be Canada's coach?

Now that Yallop won the MLS Cup again, is he more likely to step down now that he's on top, or will he feel a sense of commitment to the team?

There is some prestige to be a national team coach and if everything goes your way, you also have the added international exposure. It's a bit of a gamble in some ways, but in his case, he has already made a name for himself in MLS, so he always has a place to go to, if needed later on.

We don't really know if he is going to get the job. The CSA continues to be totally tight lip about it and I am not sure if they know themselves. At times I think they tend to go with the man that appears more convincing in a board room interview. If Yallop were to look for more international exposure, why settle for a 78th place team? I would aim higher if that was my objective. There is also the consideration of remuneration, family and changing residence. Many others have tried coaching Canada with some occasional success, but we are basically still at square one. Maybe it is not the coaches, but the players. Can any coach take our players and really make them better with so little time together in between very infrequent games. Can a coach rely on european club teams to develop our players? How many good potential youngsters are we losing because they don't get a change to go and play in Europe or simply have a Canadian Pro league worth something.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

We don't really know if he is going to get the job. The CSA continues to be totally tight lip about it and I am not sure if they know themselves. At times I think they tend to go with the man that appears more convincing in a board room interview. If Yallop were to look for more international exposure, why settle for a 78th place team? I would aim higher if that was my objective. There is also the consideration of remuneration, family and changing residence. Many others have tried coaching Canada with some occasional success, but we are basically still at square one. Maybe it is not the coaches, but the players. Can any coach take our players and really make them better with so little time together in between very infrequent games. Can a coach rely on european club teams to develop our players? How many good potential youngsters are we losing because they don't get a change to go and play in Europe or simply have a Canadian Pro league worth something.

I think you might be underestimating the prestige of being a national team coach and overestimating the prestige of being the best coach in the MLS. I also think you might be understimating the bargaining clout that Yallop has. If I were Mr. Yallop, and I scanned the horizon and saw the young talent Canada has, I'd be thrilled to hitch my horse to the wagon given that we play in CONCACAF. But only if certain guarantees were made to me by the CSA. The first obviously is more money to the program. The second being some national team camps, and the third, more games. This is what Pellerud did.

Yallop has stated his ambition to coach in Europe. Canada qualifying for the World Cup in 2006 will get him there faster than 3 more MLS titles. If the whole thing goes horribly awry, he still has his MLS resume to fall back on.

Frank Yallop has always been faithful to Canadian soccer as a player and I don't see why he wouldn't want the challenge of turning around Canadas soccer fortunes.As a coach he is still very young and has a bright future.I don't think that taking the job with the CSA can hurt.Things can only get better with him at the helm.He knows the challenges very well and that can only help.He has already estblished himself as a great MLS coach.Should he ever wish to continue coaching at the club level I'm sure there will be plenty of teams that will take him.By the time he's done with the MNT he might even have a Canadian MLS team wanting his services.

Frank Yallop has always been faithful to Canadian soccer as a player and I don't see why he wouldn't want the challenge of turning around Canadas soccer fortunes.As a coach he is still very young and has a bright future.I don't think that taking the job with the CSA can hurt.Things can only get better with him at the helm.He knows the challenges very well and that can only help.He has already estblished himself as a great MLS coach.Should he ever wish to continue coaching at the club level I'm sure there will be plenty of teams that will take him.By the time he's done with the MNT he might even have a Canadian MLS team wanting his services.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Frank is as good as yours. In a post-match interview, San Jose Midfielder Richard Mulrooney let it slip.

Yeah I realised that too!. During these days there wasn`t anything written in the paper assuring that Yallop would be CNT coach but after that interview I was like..OH! Looks like he`s leaving for good!!

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Frank is as good as yours. In a post-match interview, San Jose Midfielder Richard Mulrooney let it slip.

Yeah I realised that too!. During these days there wasn`t anything written in the paper assuring that Yallop would be CNT coach but after that interview I was like..OH! Looks like he`s leaving for good!!

What CK said was the first response to Wynalda's question on what Richard thought of Frank. When Wynalda wanted to know Richard's opinion of Frank POTENTIALLY going to manage Canada, Richard said something to the effect that the MLS Cup win is a "perfect send off". After that, he quickly ran off to celebrate. ;)

Yallop will resign in a couple weeks and sign with the CSA, for sure.

IMO, Yallop is only second to Arena in the history of MLS managers. You guys will make the hex, and might have an outside shot at instant qualification. That fourth place playoff slot will be a Godsend to nations like yourselves.

If I were Yallop, I'd defintely stay away. I don't think Canada is ready for a Yallop-type coach. We need another system-type coach. We can't build a foundation with one architecht and then jump off and hope to build the penthouse with the next.

I think that if Yallop is hired, it'll be a decision based on what Canadian soccer wants, and not what it really needs.

Canadian soccer wants a happy fairytale to rescue us from the Holger hangover.

That being said, I hope everything said about him is true and more, if he is hired. Best of luck to him.

Could do worse.

I still think we're going to go through automaticaly (baring some realy, realy, rotten luck) with or without Yallop. It would take some realy crap managing to keep us out of Germany so far as I'm concearned, or a flu epidemic at the worse possible time. I'm pretty sure Mr. Yallop has been giving the National Team some serious study these past few months so he'll have an educated guess as to where things look to be going.

But I think Gordon nailed it dead on. Can the CSA afford Mr. Yallop? I'm sure Frank will ask for sun, the CSA will offer the moon, and hopefully they'll both be able to settle for Venus. So long as Venus includes a summer camp and some home friendlys (A-League clubs, CONCACAF opponents, special olympians. I don't care. Just a fu'king home date please!) I'll be a much happier camper.

I'm guessing Yallop'll push hard too. We'll just see how serious Sharpe and Co. are about going to the World Cup.

Still think Miller's already got the job. Hope I'm wrong. At worse, I'm convinced the CSA will settle for Miller if Yallops terms can't be agreed to.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I still think we're going to go through automaticaly (baring some realy, realy, rotten luck) with or without Yallop. It would take some realy crap managing to keep us out of Germany so far as I'm concearned, or a flu epidemic at the worse possible time.

You see, it's that type of thinking that coudl ruin us. We've thought that before and it hasn't happened. Do we really want a man manager now?

Yallop has only three years of head coaching experience, and absolutely none of running/overseeing a youth develop system, installing/instilling/promoting a plan, and being the head coaching honcho of a whole national program (pretty much).

(PS - I do not think Miller will get the job whatsoever.)

I don't think our newest National Team Manager will have the same responsabilities as Holger had. Nor should he. Holger's resume was something pretty special and his job was adapated/evolved because of it. The new Men's manager can't be excluded from the youth systems, but it shouldn't be a principle responsability.

So far as I'm concearned, the manager has one narrow focus. Find the best squad and get them to come out.

If Yallop thinks he can do that, and the resourses/tools required to do the job successfully are made available from the CSA I think he'll be very keen on the challenge.

Don't know if he is the best man for the job. If he wasn't Canadian would we be talking about an MLS coach? Club football isn't even close to the skills he'll need as a national team coach. Especially a national team without a domestic league.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I don't think our newest National Team Manager will have the same responsabilities as Holger had. Nor should he.

Ah see this is where we disagree. I think we need another technical director/manager, to complete the planning of the system. I'll admit I don't know much about the coaching/player development/production side of things, but Holger had the job and, very very arguably, vision to change it. I think we need another person to continue this work - to get our system up to snuff and running as smoothly as possible.

Forget WC2006, let's get the foundations as solid as possible. I'd be up for hiring a tech director alongside Yallop if need be.

Let's not waste Yallop on a short-term 'get us into the World Cup with the players we have now' mindset. We don't want to waste Yallop on a Bora-type mission.

quote:Don't know if he is the best man for the job. If he wasn't Canadian would we be talking about an MLS coach? Club football isn't even close to the skills he'll need as a national team coach. Especially a national team without a domestic league.

And THIS is exactly what I mean. The only reason we want him is because he's Canadian. If he wasn't Canadian, we wouldn't be discussing him. And the pros to Yallop being a Canadian coach are, in my opinion, highly presumptory and assumptive.

The whole 'Canadian-insider' factor strikes me as a particuarly shortsighted and corrupt way to select a coach.

I'm not anti-Yallop. I'm anti-"Yallop right now".

Before I can answer this important question I must know who does he get along with. Who are his supportors and viseversa not only with the CSA but the OSA!

Give me this answer then I believe I can give you an answer!

But in general He must be better then what we got so far which is nothing>

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Let us not forget that the CSA will probably be splitting the two jobs, the technical director one and the other coaching the nat. team. So they would be actually hiring two persons.

I haven't seen any plans for that. Can we afford to hire two people where we once had only one?

If they do that, I'm all for it, but I haven't seen any indications yet.

I guess it has nothing to do with players!!!!

Then how come Carlos Perriera wins a WC and then cannot even pass the first round of other WC's???

Sometimes you just have to :D

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

Mulrooney said:

"Best coach I've ever had at the professional level," Mulrooney said of Yallop. "Wherever he goes, they're going to be a successful team.

Archived