kelowna leg ticket sales

snake

1000 tickets sold as of Friday. They say that 2100 are available. All of this according to an arcticle in the local paper. They also said tickets are starting to move faster. The apple bowl can seat around 5000 so don't know why it said 2100 available. I would expect a crowd of 2 to 3 thousand considering it will be cool and a week night.

Well, Daniel, the local newspaper here (Victoria Times Colonist) didn't even bother carrying the Canada-Czech score. There were a few sentences on Scotland beating Holland, and mention of a couple other European qualifying scores, but nothing about Canada's "national" team. Seems it was just more important to use space telling sports readers a women's curling team in PEI had split up.....

Over 2200 people counted. Stadium was bursting at the seams. Probably near 3000 people in it. Wow! The City had to clear 7 inches of snow in a matter of hours. Did a great job. Salvadorian coach liked that the field was flat! Guess they must have played in some pretty rough ones.

I had a ticket to go last night with a few friends but couldn't get off work in time so had to settle for them giving me cell phone updates which got harder and harder to understand the more they drank and the longer the game went (apparently they were pretty drunk and did a lot of loud heckling everytime a ES player took a dive, damn I wish I could of been there!!!). The Main Seating section at the Apple Bowl fits about 2000 people, the bleachers a couple hundred and the rest of the people stand on the grass that surrounds the field. By all accounts they told me every seat including bleachers were filled up,,,,and there was probably at least a few hundred standing on field level watching so they estimated somewhere between 2500-3000 people in attendance last night. This city of 100,000 is predominantly a football (Okanagan Sun) and hockey (Kelowna Rockets hosting Memorial Cup this year) town so to get a few thousand out for this game considering the cold and snowy weather we've been getting of late is not a bad number. Have to give credit to the Daily Courier Paper who had more Canadian Soccer Articles in the leadup this week (especially built around Rob Friend for obvious reasons ) then they had in the last 2 years combined. And it could not of been scripted any better, hometown boy Friend is the Golden Boy with the winning Penalty Kick. I'm still a little surprised the CSA chose Kelowna to host this game over the lower mainland and other areas but I guess if they were looking to play in a small venue with colder weather it all worked out for them.

Hey Kelownaguy...You missed a Kelowna classic. Still can't get over how good and loud and wild the crowd was. Fantastic support. I am confused by the crowd count. When the Sun played the national final here a few years ago they had a crowd similar to last night and 4500 was announced. Hopefully we get more events like this in the future.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

I'm still a little surprised the CSA chose Kelowna to host this game over the lower mainland and other areas but I guess if they were looking to play in a small venue with colder weather it all worked out for them.

If indeed that was the CSA's strategy then good on them. What a contrast this is to playing T&T and having a steel drum band as the half-time entertainment. I'd much rather we play in a small venue and be guarenteed some sort of an advatage - either though crowd alliances, weather, climate etc. - than give the opposition better conditions than we're afforded when we compete abroad.

I guess besides the colder weather your pretty much guaranteed to get a 100% Canadian crowd behind you here because I guess the proper way to put it is there is hardly any visible minorities at all in this town. whereas we've seen games in Vancouver or Toronto where the opposing teams fans love to come out of the woodwork and if they don't outnumber Canadian fans,,,then there just as loud.

quote:Originally posted by footie

Hey Kelownaguy...You missed a Kelowna classic. Still can't get over how good and loud and wild the crowd was. Fantastic support. I am confused by the crowd count. When the Sun played the national final here a few years ago they had a crowd similar to last night and 4500 was announced. Hopefully we get more events like this in the future.

if there were 4500 at the game would be a sellout.great support kelowna.see you in the A league in a couple of years.

Yeah, come on Kelowna let's attract those friendlies! No wonder the Netherlands didn't want to travel west of Ottawa - because we might stick them in the middle of some hokey community stadium? I bet Spain gave us a glowing reference from their pre-WC94 game, heard they were impressed.

We whine about the opposition we can't attract, yet we put our qualifying matches in the middle of an Okanagan fruit town. We can't have it both ways boys.

Do we want Canada to progress from the nether regions of world soccer or not?

quote:Originally posted by WilfPTheReal99

Yeah, come on Kelowna let's attract those friendlies! No wonder the Netherlands didn't want to travel west of Ottawa - because we might stick them in the middle of some hokey community stadium? I bet Spain gave us a glowing reference from their pre-WC94 game, heard they were impressed.

We whine about the opposition we can't attract, yet we put our qualifying matches in the middle of an Okanagan fruit town. We can't have it both ways boys.

Do we want Canada to progress from the nether regions of world soccer or not?

I can tell this is the start of a beautiful relationship.

quote:Originally posted by WilfPTheReal99

Do you know anything about soccer?

We don't need to attract competition for qualifying matches. Playing in the cold is an upgrade compared to what our teams are faced with when travelling to Central America.

As for friendlies, you tell us what phantom stadium in Toronto is available to host international matches.

As far as playing home games against Central American teams, in my view any advantage we can muster is fair game. Heck, if we could get Don Cherry qualified as a CONCACAF official, I'd say let him ref the games, and let's play here in Northern NB where I can pretty well guarantee the 100% Canadian crowd would be drunk and rowdy several hours *before* the match.

Archived