kelowna leg ticket sales

snake

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Do you know anything about soccer?

We don't need to attract competition for qualifying matches. Playing in the cold is an upgrade compared to what our teams are faced with when travelling to Central America.

As for friendlies, you tell us what phantom stadium in Toronto is available to host international matches.

Rudi, think beyond the post. I'm not against freezing the Sallies. It's just the age/size/style/make/model of your icebox says a lot about the kind of cubes you keep in it.

Canadian soccer fans whine about the fact that a) we haven't had a home friendly in three to four years, and B) that we cannot attract quality friendly opposition.

Therefore, WCQ is the only showcase available to this country. When we stick our qualifying games in makeshift Winnipeg stadiums or rocky mountain high village community stadiums, what does it say to the world?

It says that yes, THIS is soccer in Canada. THIS is what you can expect.

If Spain was as unhappy as they were with Robillard in 1994; if we cannot find a place for Holland to play east of Winnipeg, if teams like El Salvador can tell the rest of the world that they played in the middle of nowhere in front of 3500 and practically spent 2000$ on winter clothing for one game, what does this tell the world?

I'll say it again as I've said it before. We cannot have it both ways. We either make the most of our few home games to show the world they can come to Canada and expect a professional friendly, or we inundate our few home opponents with images of Canada as a third world soccer nation and keep attracting those high profile home friendlies that we've had so far.

A stadium in TO is only one part of the process. Moving away from this Sesame Street mindset is the largest part.

If you're saying that we need some quality stadia in the 15,000 - 25,000 capacity range, I don't think you're going to find much argument from anybody here.

But the fact is, the Kelowna Apple Bowl isn't much of a step down from what he have available, except for Commonwealth or a CFL stadium with Field Turf. For the match played, I think it was an ideal venue. I don't think we'll see any high profile matches there (int'l friendlies for the MNT, WCQ matches).

Remember, this was still only a preliminary round Olympic Qualifying match.

If you're saying that we need some quality stadia in the 15,000 - 25,000 capacity range, I don't think you're going to find much argument from anybody here.

But the fact is, the Kelowna Apple Bowl isn't much of a step down from what he have available, except for Commonwealth or a CFL stadium with Field Turf. For the match played, I think it was an ideal venue. I don't think we'll see any high profile matches there (int'l friendlies for the MNT, WCQ matches).

Ed said: "Make those danged Central Americans eat dulce too Dave!! That's the spirit!!"

Great stuff Ed! Could this be the start of a real rivalry? Make the Sallies kiss the codfish and chug some Screech while we're at it! [:P]

I'm sorry, I can't get this image of Don Cherry officiating a MNT game out of my head. Especially if somebody were to tell Don he could issue Cautions for diving. Of course, I'm sure Don would be unbiased and fair to both sides ;)

In all seriousness, I agree that when we invite teams for friendlies in Canada we should make every effort to ensure a warm reception and a pleasant and professional experience. But for our CONCACAF rivals who are forced to play here for qualifying matches, I suggest that we provide them with hospitality similar to what they routinely show us.

Ed said: "Make those danged Central Americans eat dulce too Dave!! That's the spirit!!"

Great stuff Ed! Could this be the start of a real rivalry? Make the Sallies kiss the codfish and chug some Screech while we're at it! [:P]

I'm sorry, I can't get this image of Don Cherry officiating a MNT game out of my head. Especially if somebody were to tell Don he could issue Cautions for diving. Of course, I'm sure Don would be unbiased and fair to both sides ;)

In all seriousness, I agree that when we invite teams for friendlies in Canada we should make every effort to ensure a warm reception and a pleasant and professional experience. But for our CONCACAF rivals who are forced to play here for qualifying matches, I suggest that we provide them with hospitality similar to what they routinely show us.

not much tact, but there is a decent point under all the tee zero rhetoric. imagine what that game looked like to people in real soccer countries. the fact is however, that we dont have anything better. that is the real problem. this country needs proper !GRASS FIELD! venues to play at. not only a proper large facility, but smaller ones spread across the country. it is an embarassment that a country of this size and wealth has such poor venues for all of its outdoor sports. i doubt that all our new plastic football fields will be good enough to draw anything that is a higher calibre than women's soccer.

there is more to quality of life in a nation than socialized health care.

not much tact, but there is a decent point under all the tee zero rhetoric. imagine what that game looked like to people in real soccer countries. the fact is however, that we dont have anything better. that is the real problem. this country needs proper !GRASS FIELD! venues to play at. not only a proper large facility, but smaller ones spread across the country. it is an embarassment that a country of this size and wealth has such poor venues for all of its outdoor sports. i doubt that all our new plastic football fields will be good enough to draw anything that is a higher calibre than women's soccer.

there is more to quality of life in a nation than socialized health care.

quote:Originally posted by WilfPTheReal99

I can name at least one that was 10 degrees Celsius this week.

But it's a dirty word that starts with a T and ends with an O.

You've never left the Lesser Toronto Area, have you? Why is that I feel like I'm talking to an Ugly American?

2200 average in the a league.pretty s....y t.o.

the weather pretty much kills it for toronto.its to cold in the winter and early spring.the ground is frozen solid.during jan and feb it averages around -6 celcius for daytime highs.vancouver is a much more sound choice,temperate year round temps.excellant support,soccer is played year round in vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

But the problem is that when your only home games are indeed these qualifying matches, that's what you end up being judged by.

Sure the Hollands of the world don't expect to be put in Kelowna, but I bet El Salvador didn't either!

And as much as we liek to over-rate ourselves (while under-rating countries of similar soccer merit) El Salvador isn't a US Virgin Islands or a Tonga.

We cannot expect people to want to play us when we provide them with an image that much of the third world could out-perform. When you put across the image we have, can you blame countries for judging us as not worth flying over here for?

We're more than happy to cry foul when stereotyped, yet we foster that stereotype to no avail!

I apologize for not fitting into the passive nature of most ra-ra-CSA Canadian soccer fans.

The fact that you need to deny my knowledge of Canadian soccer to rationalize your disagreement with my points is telling, and, quite frankly, irrelevant.

If you want to truly question my knowledge, then test me. If you want to disagree with my statements, discuss. Otherwise, I'll look forward to our future conversations.

A couple points,,,,what do you think would be better in a very important home game 2nd round olympic qualifier ??? Jamming a small venue like the Apple bowl with not an empty seat available in the house, full of 100% pro Canadian crowd that is loud and boisterous and just a great soccer atmosphere for the fans and help pumping up the home team. Or instead playing this game in front maybe a few thousand more people in Edmonton,,,but with 50,000 empty seats taking away the crowd and noise , the atmosphere, and somewhat of your home advantage and maybe risk losing the win. All so that the under 23 El Salvador Olympic Team can go tell the world about what a fantastic venue Commonwealth Stadium is!!!! I've played junior and competitive hockey all my life and there is no better feeling then playing in a small rink thats packed to the nuts then a big rink with lots of seats and very little atmosphere, I'm sure it's the same for soccer. Makes no sense to me, whether this game was played in La Ronge Sask, or Commonwealth Stadium, I don't think an olympic qualifier is going to affect our future friendlies. I myself couldn't believe it when I first heard the game was coming here,,,but Kudos to the CSA , I think they knew what they were doing and got the big result.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

A couple points,,,,what do you think would be better in a very important home game 2nd round olympic qualifier ??? Jamming a small venue like the Apple bowl with not an empty seat available in the house, full of 100% pro Canadian crowd that is loud and boisterous and just a great soccer atmosphere for the fans and help pumping up the home team. Or instead playing this game in front maybe a few thousand more people in Edmonton,,,but with 50,000 empty seats taking away the crowd and noise , the atmosphere, and somewhat of your home advantage and maybe risk losing the win. All so that the under 23 El Salvador Olympic Team can go tell the world about what a fantastic venue Commonwealth Stadium is!!!! I've played junior and competitive hockey all my life and there is no better feeling then playing in a small rink thats packed to the nuts then a big rink with lots of seats and very little atmosphere, I'm sure it's the same for soccer. Makes no sense to me, whether this game was played in La Ronge Sask, or Commonwealth Stadium, I don't think an olympic qualifier is going to affect our future friendlies. I myself couldn't believe it when I first heard the game was coming here,,,but Kudos to the CSA , I think they knew what they were doing and got the big result.

Well said buddy. You guys got it right! Women World Cup team camp, biggest fire in history, olympic qualifier. What's next??

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

It's 13 Celcius in Toronto right now, warm and sunny day. :)

I don't want to play a game with you but right now it's 14 degrees celsius in Montreal at exactly 1 week from the month of December. And right now in To it is: + 3 only and rain.

I thought that the best place for weather at this time of the year in Canada was in BC!!!!!!!!

Archived