csa to announce...

bettermirror

If the friendly is for November you can forget about Wales or any of the other teams still involved in Euro qualifying, and are playing those matches on the only available dates.

If it is in December, then anybody is up for grabs.

Once you get to January, qualifying begins - the draw doesn't take place until Dec.5th & it isn't known exactly when Canada will start, but chances are it will be on the first date in January, so I have to figure they are talking about Nov. or Dec. (though I did not see Soccercentral yesterday, so I don't know if they said something different).

Good to hear at least, but really we need to use this opportunity to look at those players who need to be looked at (Reda, Klukowski etc) as well as ensuring that all of our best players are actually called up & played this time (especially De Guzman & Nsaliwa.

Giving somebody else a chance at left back instead of Hastings (who has started there for every match since 2001 AFAIR) would be nice. You would think with that starting record that Hastings was a stand-out at that position, and was a regular pick for his club side as well (rather than being someone who has actually played for 4 different clubs in the last 4 seasons - and not due to high demand I suspect).

Any guesses about our mystery opponent?

Given our reputation of not exactly being a football power, I don't imagine 'major' means a nation of the stature of Italy, France, England or Germany.

My shortlist (predicted, not preferred) includes:

Belgium (probably too 'big' for us to land)

Poland

Austria

Northern Ireland

Greece

Or maybe another Baltic country like Latvia or Lithuania.

When is this announcement to be made?

Last week, Brazil played a friendly against Jamaica - in England! So let's play aaginst Brazil or Argentina in a European-based match! But I'm guessing that England has a fairly large Jamaican population, based on the reports of the match - I'm not sure if our few ex-pats in England could raise much of a fuss.

Let's play Northern Ireland now. They are currently completely incapable of scoring.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Any guesses about our mystery opponent?

Given our reputation of not exactly being a football power, I don't imagine 'major' means a nation of the stature of Italy, France, England or Germany.

My shortlist (predicted, not preferred) includes:

Belgium (probably too 'big' for us to land)

Poland

Austria

Northern Ireland

Greece

Or maybe another Baltic country like Latvia or Lithuania.

When is this announcement to be made?

Well out of those countries, the Greeks might take offense that they also aren't considered 'big' for Canada since they (and not Belgium) are the only ones you listed to qualify automatically for Euro 2004. :)

Belgium have played us in a friendly before & Klukowksi and Radzinski's presence there would give us some credibility in that respect (more than say, Italy, at least) but they were really pissed off at us back in 1990 when that friendly was played, since we declined to stage it in an international-standard venue

As for Latvia, forget about them for November as they are in the Euro 2004 qualification playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

...a friendly against a major european nation prior to world cup qualifying.

i predict wales (miller mentioned them on midweek soccercentral) or belgium.

I'm hoping for either Belgium or Poland. There'll be some interest

with some of our players plying their trade in either country, as

well as Radzinski's affinity for either. (He played for Ekeren,

as well as being born in Poland.)

Other than that I hope to see a friendly against a CONCACAF team

AT HOME (preferably) or in the Caribbean (acclimatization (sp?)).

[^]

I don't know if a day is already previewed

If it's on the same day as the Euro 2004 playoffs (nov. 16 ?), it won't be against Belgium

As they have the good habit to be predictive, the Belgian Federation had scheduled the 16th finals of the cup (with 1st division clubs) the same day

As they are not playing the playoffs, they confirmed the cup games won't be postponed

Guest Jeffery S.

Think we are talking about the November Fifa date, in around the 18th.

European teams with games for qualifying or friendlies already set and not available are:

Wales, Russia, Turkey, Croatia, Scotland, Spain, Holland, Latvia, Slovenia, Norway.

Friendlies set for England, Denmark, Portugal, Germany, France, Hungary and Estonia.

Qualified for the EuroCup and from what I know available:

Czech Republic, Sweden, Greece, Bulgaria, Italy, Switzerland.

I like all of them.

The better of the teams that did not qualify and are not too far to travel to:

Romania, Bosnia-H, Austria, Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia, Belgium, Serbia, Republic of Ireland.

Any of these would be just fine by me as well. I don't actually think we are better than any of these available sides mentioned, so would have to be a tough game no matter what.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I read somewhere on the net that Italy has promised their November friendly to Tunisia.

Tunisia already has a friendly set against South Africa on November 19.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Although I'd like to see one of the name sides, I would see us more likely to play Austria or maybe Bosnia.

I think playing against these teams would be better. I don't want us to play against the best teams because we'd end up playing defensively. We need an opponent against whom we'd have a chance to practice possession and generating scoring chances. Despite our recent defensive problems, I still worry most about our offensive play given our history and the fact that our current best offensive players still haven't had much opportunity to play together.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

What is the source on this? Midweek Soccercentral?

In my case it is an incidental comment directly from someone at the CSA in a communication related to an entirely different subject. I don't know how the others heard the rumour.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

i predict it'll be sweden, ireland, switzerland (again) or ireland. greece maybe.

let's start a pool!!! i predict, ireland.

I like Ireland too, but I think a Poland game would be very interesting matchup.

Personally, I can't think of a better solution to Northern Ireland's scoring problems than to play against us while Jason DeVos is still injured, Tony Menezes is still in China, Kevin McKenna is still being used as forward by Hearts, Paul Fenwick is still watching every Hibs match from the stands and Marco Reda, Nevio Pizzolitto, Chris Pozniak and Mark Watson are all in the middle their off-seasons. (That's my pessimistic thought for the week.) :)

As for our opponent, I hope it's a country where the home fans are can give our lads a little taste of what it will be like to play away in a country like El Salvador or Honduras. Greece would be a nice candidate in that respect.

Keep in mind that all of the U23 players would likely be unavailable for this friendly, as presumably they would be playing in the Olympic qualifier against El Salvador. If De Guzman is not called for either team (U23 or Senior team) for that time & is healthy, it will be time to start badgering the press to demand an explanation.

And yes, this forthcoming friendly was announced on SoccerCentral's midweek edition.

Archived