CSA: Brennan will miss friendly

Free kick

Men's World Cup Team

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Brennan Will Miss Finland Friendly

Jim Brennan did not join the Men's World Cup Team in Finland due to a thigh injury which has kept him out of the lineup with Norwich all season.

Brennan had hoped to be healthy and ready to play but suffered a setback. He will not be replaced on the squad with assistant coach Nick Dasovic being available for selection if needed.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Men's World Cup Team

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Brennan Will Miss Finland Friendly

Jim Brennan did not join the Men's World Cup Team in Finland due to a thigh injury which has kept him out of the lineup with Norwich all season.

Brennan had hoped to be healthy and ready to play but suffered a setback. He will not be replaced on the squad with assistant coach Nick Dasovic being available for selection if needed.

I don't know why they even selected him. He was unable to complete a reserve game on the 26th of September for Norwich.

maybe they wanted an excuse to call on dasovic.......they knew brennen wasn't gonna play, but they figured if he's alreayd there when an injury comes up, it somehow gives them good reason to call on a really lame-ass footballer. hopefully dasovic on't get into the game....You all just watch tho.......my money's on him gettin the start...

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Or they could always call Julian De Guzman instead of using Nick Dasovic. Call me a nutter, but I don't think that using Nick to run up and down the left-flank is exactly what we need in our preparations for qualifying.

Nutter! Actually, I think we'll see Mr. Jazic running the left flank and Mr. Hastings at left back.

I don't actually think we will see Nick on the field, I suspect that is just flung out as a reason as to why nobody will be called up at the last minute. With 17 players in camp we will have enough not to have to resort to Dasovic coming off the bench. Though we certainly have fewer options on the left in comparison to the right (where we have a total of 5 options for right back - Watson (who'll start of course) Tam, Poz, Imhof & Bent).

But of course, the real question is why De Guzman a player who can play left midfield at the highest possible level & has played that position for Canada was not called to the squad, especially with Brennan a question mark.

I am becoming more and more convinced with each passing announcement from the CSA that this all part of a big parctical joke played out on the Voyageurs. Its like they're bringing back or turning the clock back to recreate all the themes that people on this board ( and the old soccer chat board on Canoe) have critcal about.

i) Kick and Run soccer

ii) Colin Miller

iii) Old boys network

iv) CSA decisions

I haven't had a chance to check yet if a majority of these players are from British Columbia :)

Now all we are missing is an announcement that Geoff Aunger has been added to the squad.

:):)

I said in another thread that it seemed odd to select someone that wasn't in game shape. This becomes especially strange when you consider that DeGuzman was deliberately left off when he has been playing regularly and very well. This is not a slight of Brennan. Brennan, if healthy, is or should be a starter for Canada. Still, why select a player to play when his own club team hasn't been confident enough to even put him on the bench for league games?

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

Bah..Had Brennan been able to go for this game but wasn't called up, everyone would be on the CSA. They gambled and it didn't work out. Better safe than sorry if you ask me.

Alex

Archived