More on De Guzman

Canuck Oranje

I scanned over the www.kicker.de ratings this morning. After 7 games in the Bundesliga, De Guzman ranks tied for 23rd. overall. He is tied with Michael Ballack.

Adding to the significance of this, Tim Wiese (goalkeeper of Kaiserslautern)is the only player ahead of him that is younger than him.

I would say that he is rapidly becoming Canada's top player, if not already.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I scanned over the www.kicker.de ratings this morning. After 7 games in the Bundesliga, De Guzman ranks tied for 23rd. overall. He is tied with Michael Ballack.

WOW!!!!!! tied with Michael Ballack. That is very impressive....Its also great to see that he has been moved back into the middle. That is important also for us. I also agree that that he may be or could soon be our best player and It will be interesting to see how our next MNT coach uses him. IMO I'd like see him slotted into Stalteri's current spot and keeping Stalteri in the central MF role but with greater defensive responsibilities. Failing that, Stalteri in the role of outside Defender wouldn't be bad either. What a massive upgrade ( in that area) that would be for us. What I don't necessarily favour is moving Stalteri in the winger/outside MF role since we need him to be much more involved in the game and that would not be the best way to take advantage of his multidimensional abilities.

WOW!!!!!! tied with Michael Ballack. That is very impressive....Its also great to see that he has been moved back into the middle. That is important also for us. I also agree that that he may be or could soon be our best player and It will be interesting to see how our next MNT coach uses him. IMO I'd like see him slotted into Stalteri's current spot and keeping Stalteri in the central MF role but with greater defensive responsibilities. Failing that, Stalteri in the role of outside Defender wouldn't be bad either. What a massive upgrade ( in that area) that would be for us. What I don't necessarily favour is moving Stalteri in the winger/outside MF role since we need him to be much more involved in the game and that would not be the best way to take advantage of his multidimensional abilities.

Adding to the significance of this, Tim Wiese (goalkeeper of Kaiserslautern)is the only player ahead of him that is younger than him.

But where is the link on that page that shows the rating. Don't forget, many of us do not speak or read German. Can you tell us what words I need to click on.

But where is the link on that page that shows the rating. Don't forget, many of us do not speak or read German. Can you tell us what words I need to click on.

Hargreaves is also doing well and is ranked tied for 32nd. Actually says something for the Canadian youth development system. We only now have to learn how to finish these players.

As for de Guzman, it will be interesting to see where Hannover plays him now with Simak confirming his headcase tag. It may open a central midfield spot for him there.

Also this may sound radical but what about Stalteri in a central defender role with DeVos? The Dutch did it with Rijkaard in the late 80s and early 90s. And Stalteri plays more defensively with his club than Rijkaard ever did. Could then play a tough defensive midfielder in the middle along with de Guzman. Then play Nsaliwa and Brennan/Jazic at fullbacks and our defense goes from slow and unskilled to quick and skillful. We should still have enough quality midfielders left to fill those slots. Say midfield like Hutchinson, Aguiar, DeGuzman Jazic/Brennan. Just a thought.

Hargreaves is also doing well and is ranked tied for 32nd. Actually says something for the Canadian youth development system. We only now have to learn how to finish these players.

As for de Guzman, it will be interesting to see where Hannover plays him now with Simak confirming his headcase tag. It may open a central midfield spot for him there.

Also this may sound radical but what about Stalteri in a central defender role with DeVos? The Dutch did it with Rijkaard in the late 80s and early 90s. And Stalteri plays more defensively with his club than Rijkaard ever did. Could then play a tough defensive midfielder in the middle along with de Guzman. Then play Nsaliwa and Brennan/Jazic at fullbacks and our defense goes from slow and unskilled to quick and skillful. We should still have enough quality midfielders left to fill those slots. Say midfield like Hutchinson, Aguiar, DeGuzman Jazic/Brennan. Just a thought.

In the midfield-only listing, de Guzman is 8th with an average rating of 3,00. Stalteri is way down in 47th with an average rating of 3,77.

The other guy people sometimes like to talk about is the 12th-ranked midfielder at 3,10.

I'm a bit suspicious that these ratings might undervalue defensive contributions in a match, as indicated by the glut of offensive-minded midfielders at the top of the list.

In the midfield-only listing, de Guzman is 8th with an average rating of 3,00. Stalteri is way down in 47th with an average rating of 3,77.

The other guy people sometimes like to talk about is the 12th-ranked midfielder at 3,10.

I'm a bit suspicious that these ratings might undervalue defensive contributions in a match, as indicated by the glut of offensive-minded midfielders at the top of the list.

I like your idea of Stalteri at the back in the Centre unless we develop someone fast and skillful at the back to compensate De Vos or Reda.

Here's my side

Keeper: Hirschfeld (if healthy), Otherwise Onstad for his experience

Right Back: Bent (has played there before and is very fast and effective defensively)

Right Centre Back: Stalteri (has the speed and height and could move the ball out of defense). Has played there in a pinch for his club as well. McKenna and Menezes are cover.

Left Centre Back: De Vos (strong and big in the air; lack of speed covered by Stalteri and backs). I would think Reda would be a natural replacment

Left Back: Brennan if healthy. Fast and can overlap on runs and cross the ball. Kluklowski as a back up. Not as fast but good with the ball and taller.

Right Wing: Nsaliwa. Can also play at the back but good defensively. Other option is Bent or possibly Imoff, Bircham or Pozniak. Perhaps even Hume as a late sub here if we are down a goal and need someone to run at the defense.

Central Mid Defensive: Aguier as this is where he plays for Benefica. If he can play there for them, he can play for us. Hutchinson is natural cover here.

Central Mid Offensive: De Guzman. Starting in the Centre in the Bundesliga says it all. Another possibility is Hume as he is starting to play here for Tranmere in their diamond midfield.

Left Wing: Jazic as he plays here for Rapid Vienna. Alternatively, Kluklowski. Or Jazic could switch with Brennan. Also possiblly Canizales but I think he is a year or two away.

Forward: Radzinski. The best in the concacaf. Nough said. Pesch could be a good sub if Rad tires.

Forward: DeRossario. Good skills and pretty fast. Alternatively, you have McKenna or Friend to feed off Rad like Koller did for Anderlecht.

I think this side has enough experience, ball control, strength, size and quickness to give any side in Concacaf trouble. We also can cover for injuries.

In spite of our poor performance at the Gold Cup, with everyone on Board I think we have a good opportunity to qualify with this group.

The idea of Stalteri as a centre back is intriguing, but I think it is something of a waste of his tremendous running ability. By this I mean not only his good speed, but his ability to seemingly run forever. I think the midfield is the place for him. Ideally as the defensive mid.

I have advocated previously for Klukowski to fill the centre back role as he has decent, but not great speed, good ball skills (albeit demonstrated at the youth level), height (6'0) and some experience having played this position with his club team in France (I think. This is a somewhat hazy recollection now). I do not want to write off Menezes however. Unless there has been some sort of radical dropp off in form, Tony is our current best option.

I like Nsaliwa at right back, more than at right mid. He has quick feet for defensive play and outstanding speed. I thought that his performance against Germany was very good. I also think that a team like Canada needs speed on the outside with our relatively slow central defenders. I have not seen enough of Jazic to make a call, but logic would indicate that he is an upgrade over Hastings. Brennan is probably best at left mid as his defending is at times suspect. If Jazic is over hyped, or an occasional show, then Pozniak is my second choice.

So my first choice back line would be:

Nsaliwa, Menezes, De Vos, Jazic (?) - Pozniak and Bent back up th eoutside backs and Klukowski and the best of Reda, Pizzolitto and Watson as the back up Central Defenders.

Midfield is a little more settled. De Guzman and Stalteri are locks in the middle, Brennan on the left. This leaves only the right side up for grabs. Could be Hutchinson, could be Hume or could be Imhoff. Perhaps the nod to Imhoff right now. Back up Central mids would be Aguiar (may warrant a starting job, but I'd like ot see him play first), and whomever of Hutchinson or Hume (not so sure about Hume, Hutchinson seems to be more consistent) isn't top two on the right. Left side I am not so sure about. Perhaps Hastings right now.

I also think Dunfield will emerge in the next 6 months as a very suitable back-up for De Guzman at Central Mid, or a contender for the right midfield spot, despite many recent posts (particularly on the other board) disparaging his development. He is not real speedy, but his strength is his vision and passing, and I think that is what most of our midfielders, DeGuzman excepted, lack. Call it a prediction, because at this point he does not figure.

First Choice Midfield:

Imhoff DeGuzman Stalteri Breannan - Hutchinson, Hume, Aguiar, Hastings

The top four Strikers are Razinski, De Rosario, Pesch and McKenna. First choice would be Radz and De Ro. I would not be worried about a Pesch - McKenna partnership, however. Hume in a pinch, and perhaps Friend as deeper cover.

I gotta go with Lars as the best choice for keeper with Stamatopolous and Onstadt as back ups. Lars is still learning the art of keeping but he is a shot stopper and has outstanding reflexes.

Decent speed throughout the lineup, OK skills. You could play a solid possession style with this group. And the speed and ball skills up front means we will always have a puncher's chance. The benefit of this lineup over a long qualifying period is that many of the payers can fill more than one role in the event of injuries.

I agree Gordon that putting Stalteri in the back loses his huge running ability. However, I think its a trade off and that it may be adequately compensated by having De Guzman and Aguiar in the middle. I think Kluklowski is far to risky there as he doesn't play at the level of Stalteri and doesn't play there for his club. For me, I would like to see a very solid spine to the team down the middle with Stalteri and De Vos at the back, Aguiar and De Guzman in the middle and Rad likely with DeRossario up front. Another possibilty would be Aguiar at the back. In any event, I would like to see Stalteri get a half in the Finnish match in the back.

I think Nsaliwa and Bent are interchangeable. My problem with Nsaliwa is that he gives the ball away too much in my opinion (which maybe a reason to put him at the back). Also, he's a possibility in central defense as well but I think he needs to mature before we consider him there.

Menezes is a wild card to me. If he is playing regularly, perhaps he is the man in the back. But I don't think he is.

As for the left, I agree that Brennan maybe better in midfield than at the back. Perhaps switch with Jazic as you suggest. Although as we chop in change elsewhere in the line up, perhaps allow them to play where they do for their clubs. Possibly by the world cup, we would have Kluklowski in the back with Canizales on the left. But not right now in my opinion as that just adds too much in experience to the side. In my line up, I only have Stalteri playing out of position (and arguably Bent but he has played right back before). I think one of problems has been playing too many people out of position.

I think it is worth an experament. Aguiar I don't think has the pace to change the backline.

As for Nsaliwa, I am operating on the assumption that his abilities are improving rapidly playing regularly in Bundesliga-2. I can't see a German coach sticking with him if he is a liability. The ideal would be to have interchangeable players playing both flanks so overlapping runs become the norm.

Also with Aguiar in the middle, Stalteri could be given more freedom to roam like Beckenbauer in 70s.

• 4 months later...

Hello Fans of Julian de Guzman,

please don't blame me for my spelling mistakes: I'm from Germany! ;)

I'm the webmaster of a Hannover 96 - Fanpage: www.das-fanmagazin.de

Since today in the board there we have a section for foreign football-fans. If you want do discuss with 96-fans about Julian de Guzman (in english!) yor are very welcome! I look forward to meet you there! :)

Please click on one of the following links, if you are interested:

http://www.das-fanmagazin.de/neu/index.php?shownews=1466

http://www.das-fanmagazin.de/forum/board.php?boardid=29

A lot of greats from Hannover

Nils

EDIT: Please feel free to open a new thread if there still is none about Julian de Guzman! :)

Goalkeepers I think Lars should be # 1 but he has to start playing regularly to maitain his sharpness. He really needs to seek out a loan spell in the Nationwide league to get some official games under his belt. If Onstad is still playing he is a good back up and can step in to do the job when needed.

Defence I think we should play Brennan in right back. this is where he plays for his club and will help stregthen our defence as well as opening up another spot in the midfield where we have lots of talent. Allows Stalteri to go in the midfield.

Devos and McKenna should be in central defence give us ariel power.

Left back I think Jazic is holding that role well

Midfield we have an abundance of players fighting for the spots.

Aguiar, Stalteri, De Guzman, Imhoff, Bent, Bircham, Hume, etc.

I think we should have a holding midfielder or anchor midfielder. Aguiar Bircham or Bent can do that.

the center two midfielders with Stalteri and De Guzman.

then you could have an attacking midfielder or laid back striker behind the front two.

In attack depending on the formation i dont mind a three pronged attack. With Radzinski and DeRosario up front and Maybe Pesch as a withdrawn Striker behind the front two. Or you could use Hume as an attacking midfielder behind the front two.

I think it is good that we have smaller strikers because it forces us to keep the ball on the ground and not always hoof and hope.

So first choice xi

GK Hirschfeld

RB Brennan

CB De Vos

CB McKenna

LB Jazic

CDM Aguiar/Bircham/Bent

RCM Stalteri

LCM De Guzman

CAM Pesch/Hume

ST De Rosario

ST Radzinski