Bob McMahon: World Cup hopes work in progress

jonovision

World Cup hopes work in progress

By Bob McMahon

Most Canadian's would choose the 2000 Gold Cup win and 1986 World Cup qualification as the greatest moments for Canadian soccer, but bitter disappointment has followed both.

After 1986, three successive World Cup qualification failures showed that many of the CONCACAF countries considered an easy mark had closed the gap and were accelerating away. Holger Osieck's coaching appointment in 1998 brought a change in style -- possession the mantra, the national soccer team would no longer be mistaken for moonlighting CFL punters and kickers. The Gold Cup victory was the highlight of the Osieck years but like the '86 accomplishment the win was presented as proof positive that a bright soccer future was just around the corner.

Around the corner was a large brick wall which Canada hit full on. Canada didn't make the final 2002 group stage and first round elimination at the 2003 Gold Cup followed. Although the CSA showed no overt concern, Osieck's relationship with the players had degenerated to a point where the players opted to make a stand.

Frank Yallop, coach of the San Jose Earthquakes, is the obvious heir. Not long removed from his playing days, he understands the challenges faced by European- based players and has enough CONCACAF experience to know his way around the often weird ways of the region.

The bad news -- fans expecting Canada to qualify for the 2006 World Cup may be disappointed. Much is being made of the return of players ostracized by Osieck, with Mark Watson, Paul Peschisolido, Marc Bircham and Fernando Aguiar mentioned. World Cup qualifying goes until 2005 -- Watson (33) and Peschisolido (32) have already entered the twilight of their careers. For a player like Peschisolido who has long relied on blistering pace, advancing years will not treat him kindly.

Bircham and Aguiar may strengthen a gossamer thin squad but don't offer anything not currently on offer. They fit the standard Canadian soccer production line model -- tough, hard working, committed, massive heart and defensive.

Will they produce goals? Not very likely. Bircham in the last three seasons has two, while Aguiar rarely hits the net. So the problem in 2003 is the same one we've had for close to two decades -- we don't produce enough creative attacking players who generate chances and can score. The current national squad has 613 international caps and 52 goals -- the standard Canadian model.

Give Yallop a contract to 2010 and regard 2006 as a learning experience for the young players that need to be given a chance, even if they're not ready for prime time. Meanwhile, pray that somehow we unearth a couple of Wayne Rooney's (young Alex Bunbury's and John Catliff's would even help) who can score, otherwise the future is bleak.

In politics it may be about the economy but in soccer it's about goals -- without creative players and scorers the new coach's job description should include "rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic."

This week's live -- and almost live -- televised soccer.

Tomorrow -- 7 p.m. Rochester vs. Charleston (Fox Sports World Canada).

Saturday -- 8:30 a.m. Borussia Dortmund vs. Werder Bremen, 1 p.m. PSV vs. Utrecht, 6:30 p.m. Columbus vs. Dallas (all FSWC), 9 a.m. Charlton vs. Manchester United, Arsenal vs. Portsmouth (both Rogers SNet), 1:30 p.m. Milan vs. Bologna (TLN).

Sunday -- 8 a.m. Manchester City vs. Aston Villa, 10 a.m. Birmingham vs. Fulham, 2 p.m. Kaiserlautern vs. Freiburg, 4 p.m. PSG vs. Toulouse, 6 p.m. Racing vs. Boca Jnrs., 10 p.m. Figueirense vs. Sao Paulo (all FSWC), 8 a.m. Roma vs. Brescia, 10 a.m. Siena vs. Inter, 1:30 p.m. Chievo vs. Juventus (TLN).

Monday -- 2 p.m. Leicester vs. Leeds (FSWC).

Tuesday - 1:30 p.m. Milan vs. Ajax (TSN)

Wednesday -- 1:30 p.m. Arsenal vs. Inter (TSN)

Good article, however, I am not so pessimistic about world cup qualifying but maybe I am too much of an optimist. We have a huge bunch of younger Canadian players playing overseas in top clubs as well as another A-league team being formed in Canada and when you add that to the fact there is an additional 1/2 qualifying spot, I am more confident that Canada can qualify for 2006. Bob does not seem to address these issues at all, but focuses on the obvious and the negative. Maybe, our competitors in CONCACAF are ahead but I would say we are catching up pretty quick, but maybe I am wrong here.

Further I am not fully convinced that Yallop is the man for the job, but a lot think he is. He doesn't, as far as I am aware, have any experience coaching national teams and he may have player preferences as being part of the Canadian national team scene. He has been successful coaching a second division equivalent pro club in the USA but is this enough? I understand he has a good people relations which is a good quality that we do need.

Further, I think we will need a coach that is open to playing our young talent and giving them an opportunity, maybe even in advance of their respective clubs, given the fact we have a load of talent playing now in top clubs in Europe at the Youth level.

Just some thoughts.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

World Cup hopes work in progress

By Bob McMahon

Most Canadian's would choose the 2000 Gold Cup win and 1986 World Cup qualification as the greatest moments for Canadian soccer, but bitter disappointment has followed both.

After 1986, three successive World Cup qualification failures showed that many of the CONCACAF countries considered an easy mark had closed the gap and were accelerating away. Holger Osieck's coaching appointment in 1998 brought a change in style -- possession the mantra, the national soccer team would no longer be mistaken for moonlighting CFL punters and kickers. The Gold Cup victory was the highlight of the Osieck years but like the '86 accomplishment the win was presented as proof positive that a bright soccer future was just around the corner.

Around the corner was a large brick wall which Canada hit full on. Canada didn't make the final 2002 group stage and first round elimination at the 2003 Gold Cup followed. Although the CSA showed no overt concern, Osieck's relationship with the players had degenerated to a point where the players opted to make a stand.

Frank Yallop, coach of the San Jose Earthquakes, is the obvious heir. Not long removed from his playing days, he understands the challenges faced by European- based players and has enough CONCACAF experience to know his way around the often weird ways of the region.

The bad news -- fans expecting Canada to qualify for the 2006 World Cup may be disappointed. Much is being made of the return of players ostracized by Osieck, with Mark Watson, Paul Peschisolido, Marc Bircham and Fernando Aguiar mentioned. World Cup qualifying goes until 2005 -- Watson (33) and Peschisolido (32) have already entered the twilight of their careers. For a player like Peschisolido who has long relied on blistering pace, advancing years will not treat him kindly.

Bircham and Aguiar may strengthen a gossamer thin squad but don't offer anything not currently on offer. They fit the standard Canadian soccer production line model -- tough, hard working, committed, massive heart and defensive.

Will they produce goals? Not very likely. Bircham in the last three seasons has two, while Aguiar rarely hits the net. So the problem in 2003 is the same one we've had for close to two decades -- we don't produce enough creative attacking players who generate chances and can score. The current national squad has 613 international caps and 52 goals -- the standard Canadian model.

Give Yallop a contract to 2010 and regard 2006 as a learning experience for the young players that need to be given a chance, even if they're not ready for prime time. Meanwhile, pray that somehow we unearth a couple of Wayne Rooney's (young Alex Bunbury's and John Catliff's would even help) who can score, otherwise the future is bleak.

In politics it may be about the economy but in soccer it's about goals -- without creative players and scorers the new coach's job description should include "rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic."

This week's live -- and almost live -- televised soccer.

Tomorrow -- 7 p.m. Rochester vs. Charleston (Fox Sports World Canada).

Saturday -- 8:30 a.m. Borussia Dortmund vs. Werder Bremen, 1 p.m. PSV vs. Utrecht, 6:30 p.m. Columbus vs. Dallas (all FSWC), 9 a.m. Charlton vs. Manchester United, Arsenal vs. Portsmouth (both Rogers SNet), 1:30 p.m. Milan vs. Bologna (TLN).

Sunday -- 8 a.m. Manchester City vs. Aston Villa, 10 a.m. Birmingham vs. Fulham, 2 p.m. Kaiserlautern vs. Freiburg, 4 p.m. PSG vs. Toulouse, 6 p.m. Racing vs. Boca Jnrs., 10 p.m. Figueirense vs. Sao Paulo (all FSWC), 8 a.m. Roma vs. Brescia, 10 a.m. Siena vs. Inter, 1:30 p.m. Chievo vs. Juventus (TLN).

Monday -- 2 p.m. Leicester vs. Leeds (FSWC).

Tuesday - 1:30 p.m. Milan vs. Ajax (TSN)

Wednesday -- 1:30 p.m. Arsenal vs. Inter (TSN)

I thought it was a pretty good article myself until McMahon mentioned that Aguiar "hardly ever scores". He scored quite a few times for Bieira Mar (sp), including that 50-yd belter on his birthday. From the way McMahon dismissed this, it seems like lazy journalism--Bircham's record is dealt with in specific figures, probably because it's closer to hand (on English web sites) than Aguiar's is. I think Aguiar scored more for his club in the last couple of years than anyone except possibly McKenna, JDV, and Hume.

This also leads to the question of why we would discuss the goal-scoring ability of midfielders. Not that Canada can't use the help or anything, but that's not the #1 role. Stalteri hasn't scored many in Germany but he'd probably have a greater impact even if Aguiar was called up.

But other than that one disagreement, I can't find much wrong with his argument. I just take an unjustifiably optimistic view by comparison. But hey, that crack ain't gonna smoke itself. :)

Allez les Rouges,

M@

I am not a pessimist but I do believe that realistically the way forward is with developing the young players currently in the National team pool. I do have to agree with McMahon that the players returning after Holger's departure cannot be assumed to be key players to the success of the Canadian Team. They are primarily squad players that add depth.

It is hoped that DeGuzman, Nsaliwa, Pozniak, Hirshfeld, and Hutchinson continue to develop at the pace they have been and that one or two of Hume, Belotte, Godfrey and Friend develop into top class strikers. As well players like Klukowski, Canizales, Reda, Harmse, Matondo, etc. need to make the selection process even more difficult.

If we expect our fortunes to change solely on the return of players that had essentially retired from the national team, I think we are dreaming. They can help but they aren't going to carry a team. A player like DeGuzman, a year from now, may.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I am not a pessimist but I do believe that realistically the way forward is with developing the young players currently in the National team pool. I do have to agree with McMahon that the players returning after Holger's departure cannot be assumed to be key players to the success of the Canadian Team. They are primarily squad players that add depth.

It is hoped that DeGuzman, Nsaliwa, Pozniak, Hirshfeld, and Hutchinson continue to develop at the pace they have been and that one or two of Hume, Belotte, Godfrey and Friend develop into top class strikers. As well players like Klukowski, Canizales, Reda, Harmse, Matondo, etc. need to make the selection process even more difficult.

If we expect our fortunes to change solely on the return of players that had essentially retired from the national team, I think we are dreaming. They can help but they aren't going to carry a team. A player like DeGuzman, a year from now, may.

I think McMahon misses the boat here. He bites on a red herring (specific players) rather than the root issue: Holger's unwillingness to select the best players available. Right now its Aguiar, Bircham and Pesch et. al., in two years it could be Nsaliwa, Hume and Bent. The problem for me, with Holger, is a repeated pattern of fall outs with players. And it results in things like the debacle against the US, where a few injuries and no shows reduce us to a B team. And right now, the guys who may be too old for 2006, are not too old for 2003. Will we get to Germany in 2006? Who knows, but our chances are better when we have all 25 of our top 25 players willing to play.

Paul Peschisolido, Marc Bircham and Fernando Aguiar et al. add depth to the program with is HUGE in qualifying. And in the case of Aguiar I really think he still has a lot to offer the program (I could be wrong, but it will be nice to actually find out).

I'm not real confident about our chances -- at all. However, if this change can create a positive feeling that can carry us through the second round (we SHOULD get through the first without too much difficulty), then we have a legit shot at least getting to the playoff (4 of 6 teams in the HEX move on to something…).

The program needs to accomplish something at the world level to attract more attention (and money). We can't afford to give up on '06; it would be too big to get there.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I'm not real confident about our chances -- at all. However, if this change can create a positive feeling that can carry us through the second round (we SHOULD get through the first without too much difficulty), then we have a legit shot at least getting to the playoff (4 of 6 teams in the HEX move on to something…).

The program needs to accomplish something at the world level to attract more attention (and money). We can't afford to give up on '06; it would be too big to get there.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I feel better about our chances than

in 2001. Seeing the development of Julian De Guzman, Iain Hume,

Paul Stalteri, Kevin McKenna, and even the continuing abilities

of Radzinski and De Rosario are ample reasons to look forward.

It's true with much of the McMahon article that the reliance on

Bircham, Aguiar, or Jazic will not significantly offer WorldCup

hopes and scoring punch. I don't expect that at all.

But a coach like Yallop (who coaches a first division team BTW)

can maximize the skills of his players without being a Holger or Jean

Tigana. Plus he knows how to play against CONCACAF teams (the refs,

the crowds, the heat, the diving, altitude,etc.).

What we need is a lot of friendlies to identify our core players

and get them to be familiarized with their teammates. Let's face it,

this WC qualifying is a LONG journey; let's not bury our team

before they get the chance to surprise everyone (including Mr. McMahon) on the field.

As I said in my earlier post, the players ignored by Holger do add depth. And I agree that the incoming coach needs to institute a meritocracy where players are selected based on merit rather than age and loyalty. In other words, the best players need to be selected.

We may disagree, as fans,who the best players are; but, I think everyone would agree that the best players need to be selected in the games that matter.

I almost feel better about our chances of qualifying because somebody like Bob McMahon is so pessimistic. His articles always seem to betray a lack of knowledge of Canadian soccer, and this is one is no exception. I also am wary of any article which alters the facts to fit the view, instead of altering the view to fit the facts. In this case the article neatly omits reference to the 2002 Gold Cup 3rd place finish, which in terms of meaningful matches is what actually followed the qualification failure for 2002, rather than the first round Gold Cup elimination in 2003.

As well, until the likes of Bircham, Pesch, Aguiar & Watson actually return and play for Canada it is premature to say they have "returned" (as McMahon does). They are, in theory, available once again. We have no idea if a coach will actually call them, and the call of Watson (during the A-league off-season) would seem to be dubious in the extreme, despite what some of the veteran players think. It is also interesting that the CSA contacted Bircham and not Watson about returning to the team. And even if called, we don't know for certain they will show (Bircham has said that he will be happy to play if he doesn't miss any club matches, which reduces his availability by quite a bit with QPR in the English 2nd Division & often playing on dates reserved for FIFA matches). I agree though, the more depth the better.

I'm optimistic that we'll qualify because we have the required talent to do so in this region - the big question being whether a new coach manages to bring all of the best talent on the field at the same time on a regular basis. A problem over the past few years has been lack of consistency, both of results & line-up. It hasn't been our performances in matches that matter against the likes of Mexico, the US & Costa Rica that have been the main problem - its how we under-perform against teams we should beat, like T&T and Cuba (the two teams that have produced our most disappointing results in the last 5 years). We need a coach that better ensures we don't under-perform against the teams just under us, as we seem to rise mentally to the challenge against the top teams. Note that Mexico hasn't beaten us outside of Mexico since 1993, Costa Rica hasn't beaten us at all since 1997, I can't even remember the last time we lost to Honduras - the US is the only team that seems to have our number, though we are overdue to beat them and even they haven't beaten our "A" team (or even "B") in a match since scoring 3 offside goals in one match back in the dark days of the Lenarduzzi era. But these are the four teams that most figure have the inside lock on the top 4 spots. Perhaps its because they rarely lose to the teams that we shouldn't be losing to

To this end we need a coach that remains un-biased and picks the best players. We are so close to having a completely good squad (both starting 11 & bench) that it will be somewhat agonizing if the same players who have shown a lack of international skill (in terms of ball control, speed & passing ability - we know who they are) get called by the new coach. We should only be using these players (only a handful of them are left) if all of our better options aren't available.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

This is an aspect of McMahon's article that I would agree with as well, though I agree with Gordon that McMahon misses the boat by emphasizing this. What he should be emphasizing instead is what you've mentioned in your post, the development of the younger players - but the article suggests that McMahon is unaware of the existence of these players (and in addition to your list of young players on the rise to look out for, one might also add Ledgerwood).

quote:Originally posted by Irfan Khan

Canada-Cuba 0-2 (More 15,46)

How this was possible [:0]

Murphy's Law.

The worst possible thing can happen, and will happen, at the worst possible time. It's not so much that Cuba netted two when they should've netted nil, but that Canada didn't net six when we could've netted ten. Ug. You're going to make me cry.[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Paul Peschisolido, Marc Bircham and Fernando Aguiar et al. add depth to the program with is HUGE in qualifying. And in the case of Aguiar I really think he still has a lot to offer the program (I could be wrong, but it will be nice to actually find out).

I think you nailed it dead on. This whole coaching move is a gamble by the CSA to hopefully buy some fresh energy for WCQ. A desperate gamble maybe, but if the confidense just isn't there how can you wait?

Totaly agree. I don't think player commitment and availability will be any issue at all should Canada make the "hex". The realist danger lays in getting to the hex. I however am very optomistic that should we reach the hex, that we're (ie Canada) as good as in. Book your flight to Germany. I'll be there with the Wee Elf, in the birthplace of beer, wearing red.

Archived