If I only post here, am I missing out?

strobe_z

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

I'm just curious if most everyone has made the switch to these forums or if we're just splitting down the middle. I've been busy lately, so not a lot of time to post, and reading is usually confined to this "transition" forum.

Am I getting the full story here?

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com/strobe_z/Voyageurs.swf

There are some who do not like this format and stick pretty much to the other forum. More posting is done here, but there is some interesting stuff on the other forum as well. I cruise both, as I suspect most of the posters onthe transitional forum do since I like to keep abreast of what Winnipeg Fury, Krammerhead and others are saying.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Hate to admit it but I'm coming around to this forum's structure. Liked the wide open spaces and ranges of topics under the old format a lot better, and still do, but it's much easier to just scroll down the thread of a topic on this format. Unfortunately, it is harder to follow "branchs" within the thread of a topic under this format. Harder but certainly not impossible.

I usually check out the old forum most days I'm on the site, but usually only if it's especialy slow here.

Getting real used to not having to deal with pop-ups.

And with my spelling that edit feature is a God-send.

"Minority of one"

Regardless of which is better or more active, all that is being accomplished by maintaining two forums is the furthering fracturing of canadian soccer supporters.

As such a small group to begin with,we need to unite, not divide.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Regardless of which is better or more active, all that is being accomplished by maintaining two forums is the furthering fracturing of canadian soccer supporters.

As such a small group to begin with,we need to unite, not divide.

Echo that.

Do see more activity on the old board from some people who'd otherwise do more "lurking" than posting. Mostly I'd think because of the loss of volume from the regular posters. That can't be too bad alltogether. That's what got me posting, and you've all been suffering ever since.

Still, I think you're very right. Would be nice to have the family back together again.:(

"Minority of one"

well.. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's more or less only on this forum. I have seen a few posts make it across both, but usually only from "hard core" posters... like the Luis call for the Edmonton Ultras for example.

We really should get on the same page though, but is there going to be a vote? My understanding was that this forum was the future and the future is now. I thought the old version was there just to help ween people over this distressing episode of change. Last time I popped over to the other side, Net54 made me click past an ad directly, which only furthered my desire to not post there anymore.

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com/strobe_z/Voyageurs.swf

I vote for this forum too. I don't mind visiting the old forum but I do mind the many spyware and scumware programs that are installed on my machine when I check it. With all the pop-ups I can't check it at work either. Not that I have a lot of time to do that any more but there's always a chance I suppose...

Anyhow I do miss those who have remained on the old forum, and I agree with L.T. that we can't afford to become any more divided, i.e. any smaller, than we already are.

Finally, I have to admit I'm shocked to discover that Cheeta corrects the spelling in his posts. :D Kiddin', Cheeta! Put the claws away!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Are there any projected timelines around closing down the other forum and/or changing the site generally?

There are some on the other board who are as opposed to coming onto this one as some of us are on using the old. I am not sure that we are not heading for something of a fracture any way.

I prefer this to the old, personally, although it took a litle getting used to. I still prefer the layout of the other generally, although I do like the active posts coming to the top better than searching back as we had to on the Network54 board. And I figure if I can fugure my way around anyone can given a visit or two ;)

The opinions expressed above are just that.

I think we should keep both boards going. Each board has its advantages & disadvantages, and there are some people who will only use this board & some that will only use the old board. Its created more dialogue overall & more people posting. If we get rid of the old board altogether, its unlikley we'll ever hear from the likes of Fernando Aguiar, Pietr Meuleman, Ian Bridge and other who have posted on that board again,, which would be a shame. However, this board is obviously better at harassment free discussion (something I personally appreciate) and keeping discussions running for a longer period of time.

And if we can still believe in tomorrow, yesterday will disappear soon enough - IQ, The Wake (1985)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think we should keep both boards going. Each board has its advantages & disadvantages, and there are some people who will only use this board & some that will only use the old board. Its created more dialogue overall & more people posting. If we get rid of the old board altogether, its unlikley we'll ever hear from the likes of Fernando Aguiar, Pietr Meuleman, Ian Bridge and other who have posted on that board again,, which would be a shame. However, this board is obviously better at harassment free discussion (something I personally appreciate) and keeping discussions running for a longer period of time.

And if we can still believe in tomorrow, yesterday will disappear soon enough - IQ, The Wake (1985)

Gian-Luca, I wonder why you think those VIP guests would be less likely to post on this board. Because there is a signup? Robin Hart didn't seem to have a problem with that.

The only reason it has generated more conversation is that this board actually attracts new members. I'm fairly certain the volume on the old board has remained the same.

It would be unfortunate for some members to stop posting completely if we close the old board. Nonetheless, I believe that would be a necesary sacrifice to get all the others over on this board.

A fractured Canadian Supporters Forum is no way to go about building for the future. A little foresight is needed, and the way I see it the old board is quickly becoming obsolete.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

Well, Robin Hart may have, but there are many other "celebs" who haven't as of yet & I doubt will bother with the password system.

I do agree that this board has attracted new members, and that's why I think more discussion overall has been generated.

But there are enough people that post on both & check out both that I can't say that I have gotten much of a sense of a fractured community at this stage. Though I suppose it could happen.

Some of the people on the old board (including some well-respected & valuable posters) are going to take some convincing. I don't know if any of them would stop posting altogether if the old board was shut down, but I get the strong impression that they'd definitely want to be consulted about that first.

Guest Georgio

I didn't think I would like this format but it has not been as bad as I thought it would be with the signing up (hardly even remember doing it) and discussion flow. I still like the old board and post an equal amount on both, not on purpose, just simply because topics grab my interest on both boards. That is why I think that those who post solely on either board are missing out a little. Afterall, if a person thinks the community is fractured and only reads and posts on one forum, that person is the one missing out on the whole community and in effect creating the split. On the old forum the pop-ups have been eliminated with the THE POP-UP STOPPER for me and that one add at the beginning hardly ever there anymore. And can simply be skipped by pushing the area that say's CONTINUE.

Which one is better?? I don't much care anymore and would go with the majority as that would keep me posting and eventually meeting some of you guys at a Canadian International on home turf (gasp).

Ultimately, I agree that it would be nice if we could all post on one board. Something that may work is a poll being setup on the website, which would be neutral ground for all. With ample notice and a 1 mth period to cast your vote. Winning forum stays. Atleast this way people know for sure which forum is preferred by the majority - which is concrete and not the opinion of a select few or a couple moderators. I would of course know who the majority is by simply viewing the results as is possible with most internet polls and vote to the highest percentage near the closing of the poll. If some do not move with the group, it can fairly be said that they are only impeding the progress of this group who wish to be as a cohesive unit. And as such could be deemed whiny, stubborn pricks (IMO) that would likely be destructive in another similar situation where unity is asked in the future. If I had to make a decision now though without knowing, I would vote for this new forum as it is the Transitional one and .. really .. where's the transition if you return to the original. That's my only reasoning and it seems that we would be going forward.

I have a question for those who only post on this forum though ... in a hypothetical situation where a poll is setup and the Old Forum prevails ... what would you do? Quit altogether or move with the group??

The poll idea is just a suggestion and I have no problem posting on either board. But I'd have to be daft not to notice that there is atleast a small division within the Voyageurs, which is not hostile and may never be, but does make it seem like I'm posting to two completely seperate entities at times.

And who knows what length a "celeb" will go to to post. They follow the guidlines of a website the same way any one else does. And are subject all the same computer annoyances we are. If they don't post because they have to sign up ... then it's likely they'll never post again to any site on their computers since 95% of current soccer forums are following these new formats. I think they'd still post. They have the free time just like any of us do. What are they?? A new class of computer users.

If the old board is closed down, the hold out posters aren't all magically going to all flood over here. They're just going to be lost. Or they'll start they're own board. I think the 'fracture' could be worse if we do close down the old board.

I like that there seems to be new blood on the old board. Names that weren't as prevalent before are getting more involved in the conversation and that has to be a good thing right?

I read both boards and post on both. I figure it's a doubling of the diologue and participation, rather than a minimizing. Some of it is generally the same patter, but overall I was surprised how many different sorts of debates occur.

This debate is raging on both boards, however. It's shocking to see that both boards are very much in favour of keeping their board. Let's make everyone happy and keep both.

David Bailey was the first person to ever reply to one of my posts. I would hate to lose people like him just because we decided that we needed to close down the old board because the people at the new board didn't like it. If you don't like the old board, perfect! you've got the new one! Live it up.

cheers,

matthew

I really don't see the need to shut the other board down. It can act as a back up board for those who don't like it. I tire of having to update my pop up stopper and ad ware program to contend with the garbage the other board throws at me. These two necessities take far more time than navigating my way around this board does. But I do check it out and post from time to time. There is no advantage gained by closing it. I find myself puzzled by many of the arguments occuring on both boards with respect to the other. But I don't have any problem respecting the preferences of either. Unless there is a compelling reason to abandon the other board we might as well keep it.

Guest Georgio

I agree with you Gordon. I like posting on both boards and would be happy if they both remained. The million dollar questions are:

1) Are we going to have to choose one forum (vote) for the benefit of unity which will ultimately cause division to some extent.

2) If not, is the old board going to be shut down without cunsultation? Which will ultimately cause division AND bitterness.

3) If not, are we going to keep using both forums which will make alot of people happy and some who only post to one forum just wondering whether or not they are missing out. If they are missing out, it is by choice. Some unity is lost in any case.

The people in the know should answer these questions to clear the air. They are basically letting people get worked up by not coming out with their plans. Who is making the decisions here?

My original post on this thread is under the assumption that we will have to choose, which I always thought was the case. Either someone said that at the onset or I just assumed it.

I remember the purpose of the new board being created was to get rid of the harrassing few so that the Voyageurs would attract more people. Now it seems we're in a position to lose more people then we would have, had nothing changed. What a mess, unless both boards remain!

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I find myself puzzled by many of the arguments occuring on both boards with respect to the other. But I don't have any problem respecting the preferences of either. Unless there is a compelling reason to abandon the other board we might as well keep it.

I know what you mean, though I have to say I am finding the arguments (and corresponding vitriol) on the old board much tougher to figure out than the ones I am finding on this board.

I think both boards can serve different purposes & functions, and that there is utility in having both.

I am at the point of wondering if we should set up a third board which could be used solely for complaining about the other two. ;)

Archived