Anyone here watch MLS?

Crazy_Yank

I'm wondering how many Canadian soccer fans watch MLS. IF you do who is your favorite team and why? I'm a die hard Chicago Fire fan. The reason is because when they were created I was living in Iowa City, which is only a 3 hours from Chicago. I was able to go to almost all the home games and fell in love with the team.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

Yes, now that I have FSWC I do try and catch the odd game.

As far as allegiances. While I really don't follow MLS enough to support anyone specific, I'll always look out for New Jersey and New England since I saw them in the Gold Cup triple header. Me and a few other Canadians helped the Metrostars fans cheer on their team (and they brought impressive numbers)against New England and they were fun to be around all good guys to boot (except for one guy who while exiting the stadium decided to sing some song about us being an American state. I'm not sensitive or anything about being made fun of, but I thought singing that after we went out of our way to help them cheer their team was lacking class).

During the US-Martinique match we helped the local New England fans cheer the Americans. They even came into our section during the second half and sang the Canadian national anthem. In return we taught them some French chants to sing at Martinique. They were also fun to be around and very nice. Both sets of fans (especially New England's) had great humour. Something I didn't anticipate from Americans fans.

So I guess I'll always have time for those two sides. Aside from that, there is ofcourse the ritual of cheering for any team that has a Canadian on it. So count me in as a fan of San Jose and whoever the hell it is that Onstad keeps net for.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

JayWay, that would be San Jose as well (Onstad)...

I'm with JayWay for the New England side of his story. I like the Revs and how they play, and I am a big fan of their fans and how they prevented us from getting attacked because we were Canadian (if you're wondering what I'm talking about, check part 4 of my story on this thread: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=575&whichpage=1)...although going "War of 1812" on those punks *sses might have been fun as well (just kidding).

It also has to do with Boston sports fans in general. As soon as Montreal hit the road (baseball), I'll be a die-hard BoSox fan (they have the best fans in baseball - Sorry Cubbies).

Another factor is regional (as weird as that may seem, being an 8 hour drive away). If I'm not mistaken, New England is the closest MLS team to Ottawa.

Wow, I didn't think I had so many reasons to be a fan! There's also the fact that when I was in Foxboro, I met up with Mike Dressler, the Revs ticket guy, and he brought us into the Gilette Stadium offices and chatted with us for over an hour. He was courteous, interested in us as Canadians (man did he have a lot of questions about the Sens and sport in Canada), and he was an all-around great guy.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

I'm wondering how many Canadian soccer fans watch MLS. IF you do who is your favorite team and why? I'm a die hard Chicago Fire fan. The reason is because when they were created I was living in Iowa City, which is only a 3 hours from Chicago. I was able to go to almost all the home games and fell in love with the team.

MLS games are not TV in this market save for one or two per season. But I would love see more games. I too attended the Revs/Metrostars game during the triple header, Even though I watched most of that game in the shade to avoid roasting under the scathing sun rays. As far as favourite team. I don't have any that there woudl be astrong loyal attachment to. But I do like to see San Jose succeed because of teh Canadian connection. I also generally like the Boston area sports teams, so the Revs might be my second choice.

Watch a bit, though not as much as last year.

Don't really have an attachment to any side allthough I'll admit I do have an interest in the 'quakes just for the Canadian content.

Not a big Donovan fan. Very glad to see Dwayne active a-gin.

Think it's a league which needs a more Canadian/English influence though. All that latin dramatics isn't very attractive to a nation accustomed to NFL thuggery and manly NASCAR machismo. Or a hockey nation where men are put in a 200 foot by 65 foot box given armor, weaponry and a missile and pretty much forced to "police" themselves.

"Minority of one"

I don't really understand what the popularity of the NFL has to do with hispanics in the MLS. However, considering such a large percentage of the MLS fan base is hispanic, I think the MLS would want more hispanic players in their league.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Think it's a league which needs a more Canadian/English influence though. All that latin dramatics isn't very attractive to a nation accustomed to NFL thuggery and manly NASCAR machismo. Or a hockey nation where men are put in a 200 foot by 65 foot box given armor, weaponry and a missile and pretty much forced to "police" themselves.

Andrew, New York City

I got into it from day one. There was a sports bar near university that let me watch whatever I wanted so I saw about 30 games in 96. I thought I was going to be a San Jose fan, but I wound up cheering for Kansas City. They were freewheeling in the early days, playing attractive soccer and I liked the idea of supporting a midwest team.

Bringing in Mo Johnston and Alex Bunbury cemented it for me. I actually became more attached to the Wizards than I was to Ipswich or any of the other 'international' teams I supported. I used to have a guy in the US that would send me tapes of MLS games from the Shootout. I think I have half of the 2000 season on tape.

Now I catch what I can on FSWC and ABC. I really enjoyed the Chicago/Metrostars game (and I hate both teams) Saturday.

cheers,

matthew

Born in Canada. Live in Canada. Die in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I don't really understand what the popularity of the NFL has to do with hispanics in the MLS. However, considering such a large percentage of the MLS fan base is hispanic, I think the MLS would want more hispanic players in their league.

The point I was trying to make, rather poorly at that, is for the majority of sporting fans in North America there is a certain expectation of how men are supposed to conduct themselves on a field of play in front of the public. If you see some fellow thrashing about as though hot metal had been injected into his blood stream you'd expect said fellow's next move to be a swift trip to the closest hospitol, not a prompt return non the worse for wear to the pitch after a 12 1/2 second miracle touch line cure.

One player's dramatic play acting can for a great many of the casual observers, ruin an entire match. Or at least be the incident which remains in the viewer's memmory the strongest.

And that sort of thing isn't helping to sell football to the American audience.

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

The point I was trying to make, rather poorly at that, is for the majority of sporting fans in North America there is a certain expectation of how men are supposed to conduct themselves on a field of play in front of the public. If you see some fellow thrashing about as though hot metal had been injected into his blood stream you'd expect said fellow's next move to be a swift trip to the closest hospitol, not a prompt return non the worse for wear to the pitch after a 12 1/2 second miracle touch line cure.

One player's dramatic play acting can for a great many of the casual observers, ruin an entire match. Or at least be the incident which remains in the viewer's memmory the strongest.

And that sort of thing isn't helping to sell football to the American audience.

"Minority of one"

MLS isn't concerned about selling the product to Joe 6-pack. They are more concerned about getting all sections of the US soccer community to get benhind the league. Bringing in more British players in order to emulate the rock 'em sock 'em style of the SPL and British lower divisions wouldn't help the game at all. Watch Chicago and San Jose and you'll see the future of USNT tactics.

Archived