Gold Cup: Canada v Costa Rica (R)

matthew

Regarding Sampson, yes he is an arrogant SOB and perhaps he came up short on his team's preparations for the match (he should have expected our tactics and been prepared to deal with them) but he really was let down by his strikers.

You can't blame Sampson for his forwards missing a couple of sitters!

Jeez our defense scares the sh*t out of me sometimes!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Regarding Sampson, yes he is an arrogant SOB and perhaps he came up short on his team's preparations for the match (he should have expected our tactics and been prepared to deal with them) but he really was let down by his strikers.

Fair enough. There were enough goat horns being worn by the men in the CR lineup that you'd have though that they were getting ready for a witch's sabbath.

Still, good to see Sampson sweating a little.[}:)]

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

ONE sitter.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

no. they missed that one chance that lars put off the bar. that shoulda been a goal too.

i thought the referee was only, OK. not as bad as most concacaf ref's! i give him a "B."

so, stalteri will be gone after the cuban match? who do we replace him with? (HUME PLEASE!) and what are the chances he'll decide to stay?

surely his place is secure at bremen. and legally bremen cannot force him back for meaningless matches in july!

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

Bremen have been very good with Canada over Stalteri's games for the national team, for years. They want to be playing in Europe this season and want a full team for the Intertoto or whatever it's called these days.

Free the banana cream 3!

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

no. they missed that one chance that lars put off the bar. that shoulda been a goal too.

I don't know. I think Lars had position and prevented sufficient seperation to make it a contestable shot. A contest Lars won (as he should have). It was one of those saves where many will oooh and ahhh over the deflection, but it was really made by sound play prior to the shot. Really, from a technical perspective, Lars played better - in a technical sense - yesterday than he did against the US in the last Gold Cup (although he was outstanding then) because he playing smarter in his positioning. With his reflexes, if he can consistently hit the level of mental brilliance he had yesterday, his upside is huge.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

We can get caught up in the shoulda's and the coulda's. For every offensive shoulda, there is a defensive shoulda. At the end of the day, the score is what counts. With a team like ours that doesn't play much together, it will get better in time.. Looking forward to finding out how much.

We beat a prepared and almost full-strength favourite in our first game. You gotta be good to be lucky.

Gordon, my Hastings comments were in response to Loyola's comments more than yours.

I definitely had problems with Holger's 11, Holger's 18, etc. But this isn't the time for negativity. The lineup is there and I think once the team hits the field all of the negativity should go. I've even forgiven Radzinski.

So yeah, it's easier to keep quiet after a win and yes there were some moves that had me shaking my head (subbing Bent and leaving Dasovic in), but Holger's subs were perfectly timed and they worked - in as much as we didn't lose.

I too was really impressed by Lars. While I was nearly soiling myself anytime the ball came near our goal, towards the end when they sent through-balls forward I felt a quick calm, knowing that Lars would get there first and we'd have posession back. I haven't felt that way since Forrest retired.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

lars must get some true first team ball. even if sullivan is sold at spurs he'll still be behind keller. (should he still be behind keller?). he should try and get a loan to a first division club and aim for tottenham's top spot in 04-05.

keller is a very good goalie. and maybe has another year in him where he will truly be better than lars. spurs are quickly finding themselves in a similar situation to leeds a few years ago. two very good goalies. martyn/robinson.

i worry that lars will get overlooked because he's canadian. he's class, and to find lars playing in germany or italy (i think he has the presence and style to succeed in italy) one day wouldn't surprise me. spanish teams are known to make interesting purchases.

lars is 24? pretty good for a kid who was at calgary a short while ago.

with the success of players like hargreaves, stalteri and hirschfeld, it really makes you wonder what a national league would do for our national team.

Hey Red Hat:

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself while I still had a voice, probably had something to do with the one hour of sleep that James, Tony, Mike, and I had Friday night. I'm glad you made it down and added some representation from a different part of the country. What a great trip!

Blair a.k.a. the nutter wearing the toque

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Forgot his name (with the touque), but cheered loudly with Mirza.

Yeah it was probably better live (with the noise and

the Spanish obcenities -- but probably not as bad as in those countries). Don't know if you can hear some of our cheers.

("same ol'Ticos, always cheating..." cheer)

As for the guy with the roots toque, I'll have to defer that to GL.

At the risk of sounding a bit off the wall and too late. I just finished watching a tape of the game which I had set to record it while I was out of town. I must admit that at times our team looked very, very good. Playing in a way that could easely carry them far and certainly many notches above what they could do a few years back. However at other times they looked outclassed whenever CR was attacking from the wings. Overall, I saw a lot of progress. Hirschfield was superb, far better than Onstad. I liked MacKenna too, the man left everything on the field. I was impressed with this guy Canizales. Why doesn't he play more? He can easely be a starter.

:)

And here is my late two cents...

It was definitely a much better performance against CR than the one from 3 years ago. It should also be noted that despite all the talks about favorite and non-favorite, all Canada-CR matches have either ended in a tie or with 1 goal difference, either way, in the past.

On the game, the lack of Menezes was obvious. For the early part of the 2nd half, CR start to shred the Canadian defence, something that an in shape Tony Menezes would not have allowed. Here is hoping that he can find a club and get back into shape, because he is sorely missed.

But overall considering that 5 players (Radzinski, DeRossario, Nsaliwa, Brennan and DeGuzman), all of whom are central to Canada's offence, were not present, the performance was good and if any team misses that many players from their offensive, you can't blame them for being too defensive.

Now, Canada's destiny is in its own hand. It should be able to find its way to the semifinals, which is really almost all we need. Get the 5 games under our belt, get some experience, get a few spots up in FIFA rankings and get ready for the world cup qualifyings.

The biggest bonus of this all was that MC^2 and Atiba got some experience and with Larry leaving us half way through, they would be definitely called upon again and again.

So, just hope the best for Menezes and I think if he makes it, we should at least be in a better shape than both '98 and '02 WCQs openings.

Reza

Hey, I'll be negative all I want :(.

Just can't think of anything right now :).

In response to anything criticism of the nats style: It is all about the results; just win baby; winning ugly; scoreboard is all that matters.

Pick your phrase and run with it regardless of what other think of the tactics.

In response to the players letting Samson down; you don't usually fire players.

As for Cheeta's theory on what ale to gulp when watching. Make mine a Canuck beverage. Actually, watching my tape, I made my way across the country (due to leftovers from a party), I had an Alex Keith's, O'Keefe's, Sleeman's ale, Big Rock and a Kokanee. [xx(]

Cheers all and enjoy the game today.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

In response to anything criticism of the nats style: It is all about the results; just win baby; winning ugly; scoreboard is all that matters.

As for Cheeta's theory on what ale to gulp when watching. Make mine a Canuck beverage. Actually, watching my tape, I made my way across the country (due to leftovers from a party), I had an Alex Keith's, O'Keefe's, Sleeman's ale, Big Rock and a Kokanee. [xx(]

Good, good. Good on yah.:D

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Good, good. Good on yah.:D

"Minority of one"

Archived