Gold Cup: Canada v Costa Rica (R)

matthew

Well six hours to kick off and I haven't even gone to bed yet.

La Nacion is reporting: Hirschfeld, DeVos, Hastings, Bent, McKenna, Dasovic, Fenwick, Canizalez, Imhof, Stalteri and Corazzin as our 11. While I'm sure that's not the gospel, it makes sense to me since I figured we'd see Dasovic and Fenwick no matter what. If that's true, do we figure:

--------------Hirschfeld

Bent--Fenwick--DeVos--Hastings

Imhof--Dasovic--Stalteri--Canizalez

----------Corrazin---McKenna

They are also saying that Costa Rica will lineup as someone posted yesterday:

------------------R.Gonzalez

------------Marin---Wright---Martinez

A. Castro--Centeno--Villejos--Leo. Gonzalez

----------------------Lopez

-------------Fonseca----Parks

Holger refused to talk to the Costa Rican media yesterday. At least he's an equal opportunity snubber.

The referee is Richard Piper from T&T. I don't think I've ever heard of him, but I don't always remember names for refs.

Ready to go.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by matthew

--------------Hirschfeld

Bent--Fenwick--DeVos--Hastings

Imhof--Dasovic--Stalteri--Canizalez

----------Corrazin---McKenna

It was reported that Holger might use a 4-4-1-1, with Stalteri as

attacking midfielder in support of McKenna. I guess we'll see it in

3 hours. [|)] I guess Bent will mark Parks (?) and Dasovic will play

his favorite position.

quote:

The referee is Richard Piper from T&T. I don't think I've ever heard of him, but I don't always remember names for refs.

I think I saw him at the pub near our hotel last night; should have

offered him a pint.:) I would stereotypically prefer him to someone

from Central America or Mexico as ref ...

Well, I know Holger isn't looking here for advice [:P] But his substitution regimine baffles me. We only see one sub, and then it only at the end of the game when little use will be made of the fresh legs.

I understand he wants to stay to his gameplan (not to be racist but he IS German and Germans have the stereotype of being regimented and stubborn) but one would imagine there are times to take chances (like when you're losing 4-1 to Germany) and let some other players have the run of the field.

Well, hour and bit to go. Still haven't decided if I'm going to nip off to the pool hall to watch or just yell in my basement. Nice thing about a saturday afternoon match is you can usually get the barkeep to at least switch one set over.

Cheeta cub's just shaking her head and doing that eye rolling thing. Grown man (physicaly anyway) all nerves over a stoopid soccer match in a mean nothing tourny. Yeah, well what do you think I'm going to be like later next year as WCQ gets on?

Don't know about anybody else but my house has certain rules when important matchs are playing all punishable by crucifixion (it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for you) and usualy center around touching the VCR or bothering me with fu'king trivial bull**** like kitchen fires, home invasions, or constables with warrents. Etc, etc.

P.S. Canadian lager only during the game lads!!! Have some respect, man!

P.S.S. Keep the tradition alive! Cannon back a lager with each Canadian goal! Tape the match so you can see the 2nd half when your memmory's working again at a later date.

"Minority of one"

I don't understand why Dasovis is starting. From what I've seen of him on FSW he isn't very good, even by A-league standards. I've seen all the Canadian sides play and I know there are better players than him.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

quote:Originally posted by littleD

Canada had 2 clear chances. Imhoff, I believe was absolutely robbed.

Canada's defence...slow and unorganized it seems.

Stalteri's been pretty useless.

I thought Stalteri has been your best player. The lack of a creative play maker is hurting the midfield.

Guest Jeffery S.

MC2 is on for Nash, and later around m. 65 Atiba comes on for Bent.

Costa Rica has taken off Parks the striker, and later a 2nd González off for another Castro (there is already one on the field).

Radio Única has every game off the Gold Cup except Canada-Cuba, wonder why that is? Do they just assume they don't have followers for either?

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

Guest Jeffery S.

We win, 1-0 on Stalteri's goal.

Good little ticker on the CSA site, kudos to them for that.

We are amazing.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

My player ratings:

Lars Hirschfeld - 10

Because Canada 1 - 0 Costa Rica.

Chris Pozniak - 10

Paul Fenwick - 10

Jason De Vos - 10

Richard Hastings - 10

Jason Bent - 10

Nick Dasovic - 10

Daniel Imhof - 10

Martin Nash - 10

Paul Stalteri - 10

Kevin McKenna - 10

Subs:

Miguel Canizales - 10

Atiba Hutchinson - 10

Coach:

Holger Osieck - 10

I'm proud of these guys. They had to bend but never broke. Above-average performances from Pozniak and Bent (first half at least), stupendous performances by Hirschfeld and Stalteri, McKenna has improved greatly as a playmaker and passer in the offensive zone (but SHOOT DAMN YOU! SHOOOOOOT!), and Fenwick had a good strong game throughout.

Our quarter-final opponents had better take note. We're here to win.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Great win, now we need to win the group to avoid the US and get El Salvador or Martinique in the semis.

Lars played quite well, another great GC performance for him.

Our defense looked bad at time, Hasting is the weakest player in our defense. Stalteri played an excellent match.

I'm happy to see us win a big game like that against a very good Costa Rican side.

Full marks to Canada for pulling off the upset. Replace Dasovic though. He was letting players make dangerous runs all day. Against a better team those will turn into goals. Also, did DeVos even play today? I didn't look very good. Stalteri was impressive. I can see why Werder Bremen rate him so highly.

Archived