Gold Cup: Canada v Costa Rica (R)

matthew

well, back from the 3 games. met G-L, the Keays, Theo, and the rest of

the boys. got a few Americans and an El Salvadorean lady to cheer with us. an ES guy kept asking us to shut up and sit down. can't understand

him of course. Also met Kevin McKenna's parents who flew in from Calgary. Snuck in my digital camera for a few pics. The fascist police

at Foxboro Stadium would NOT allow digital cameras or camcorders. whatever ....

Please note we are outnumbered (apparently 20,000 to 30), our team disrespected, and even the souvenir shop did not have any Canadian team

jerseys or shirts. (They did for all other teams, including CRC and ES.)

my take on the game:

man of the match: Paul Stalteri. He's no Larry no more. We'll miss him

after the Quarters ...

players for the future:

Lars Hirschfeld - brilliant saves and great positioning. Lots of great

comments from our Yankee friends.

Maycoll Canizales - his possession skills were very impressive. Werder

Bremen certainly refined his skills.

nice surprises:

Nick Dasovic and Carlo (where did they get Carlos?) Corrazin. I was

dreading the worst and these two battled hard. Some errors, but what

did you expect?

As expected:

Kevin Mckenna - always tugged, mugged, and never gets a call for him.

But again battled hard to win the ball.

Jason de Vos - pretty solid on defense, lots of running after corners.

Nice of the lads to applaud our section after the game. GL asked me if it was was worth it, driving over 30 hours to Boston to see this game -- damn straight. Thanks boys.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey redhat, who was the nutter wearing the toque?

Heard some rumor of a cow bell making an appearance but didn't hear it on the broadcast. By the way thanks to the wonderful coverage provided by Sportsnet those behind the goal seatings likely gave you and your lot a better look at the match then all of us at home.

Sooo. When are we going to get a look at those snaps? I'm dying here.

"Minority of one"

Regarding the comments coming from Sampson and some of the American press, Canada won with no controversy. Canada missed chances too. Costa Rica was probably more stylish;but, so what. What must really must hurt is the fact that Canada won without some of its key players and without first class preparation. What is key to me is that the two teams were not that far apart and we have more excuses than they do.

A great start and we should get better in this tournament. Hope we see Hutchinson and Canizales more. And I think Hume would be a great sub with 15-20 min remaining.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Heard some rumor of a cow bell making an appearance but didn't hear it on the broadcast. By the way thanks to the wonderful coverage provided by Sportsnet those behind the goal seatings likely gave you and your lot a better look at the match then all of us at home.

"Minority of one"

Forgot his name (with the touque), but cheered loudly with Mirza.

The cow bell was not allowed, but the drum was. We had an idea

what your tv picture was like as the intl feed was broadcast on the

videotron. Yeah it was probably better live (with the noise and

the Spanish obcenities -- but probably not as bad as in those countries). Don't know if you can hear some of our cheers.

("same ol'Ticos, always cheating..." cheer)

My pics are mainly of the group and the one with the McKennas.

Digital cameras were not allowed by the Stadium police.

I'll email it to Jarrek for posting later. Thank God our hotel has

high speed ...

As for the guy with the roots toque, I'll have to defer that to GL.

"Minority of one"

Forgot his name (with the touque), but cheered loudly with Mirza.

The cow bell was not allowed, but the drum was. We had an idea

what your tv picture was like as the intl feed was broadcast on the

videotron. Yeah it was probably better live (with the noise and

the Spanish obcenities -- but probably not as bad as in those countries). Don't know if you can hear some of our cheers.

("same ol'Ticos, always cheating..." cheer)

My pics are mainly of the group and the one with the McKennas.

Digital cameras were not allowed by the Stadium police.

I'll email it to Jarrek for posting later. Thank God our hotel has

high speed ...

As for the guy with the roots toque, I'll have to defer that to GL.

just tired/tactical.

I thought he played fairly well. In the past I recall him not having a good first touch and he was prone to spray the ball anywhere but towards his teammates. Saw none of that yesterday. He got lucky that the CR defender knocked his pass to Stalteri but he also had some great distribution and was very busy on the field.

just tired/tactical.

I thought he played fairly well. In the past I recall him not having a good first touch and he was prone to spray the ball anywhere but towards his teammates. Saw none of that yesterday. He got lucky that the CR defender knocked his pass to Stalteri but he also had some great distribution and was very busy on the field.

Damn Shaw...went down after my first post and stayed down until I finally gave up at 1am :( So, first things first: Say hello back to Maryanne, Cheeta.

I thought we played pretty well and were even with Costa Rica for all by the 10-15 minutes on either side of the half. Lars played very well. He made the one exceptional save on Parks and played at an international level with the rest. Not show stopping, game saving saves, but the kind of saves you expect from a keeper at this level. It is his shot stopping (as Ed said) that puts him above Pat, IMO, and his development in the other aspects of he game is coming along very nicely. His positioning was great, and he seemed very composed in the box generally. Hastings played pretty well, Matthew, and my observation about Pozniak was not really stick for Hastings. I just liked the way Pozniak played with the ball, the way he marked his man, and I thought he showed very well when his man had the ball (i.e. one on one defending). Hastings game has come a long way and you are correct in that those long diagonal balls had as much to do with Nash as Hastings. He got over there quick enough, so generally I was satisfied with his play. He was beaten one on one a bit more than I'd like to see, but the big zero beside Costa Rica on the scoreboard speaks to that.

As for Steve Sampson's [:o)] comments, well they speak for themselves. I hope he maintains that philosophy, since it will be easier to come back from a deficit against them.

I was very pleased with the Tactics, which I did not view as negative at all. Canada maintained a counter attack threat after they got the lead, and when they did, they did with decent numbers. Compare that to the game against Ecuador, where the counter threat never existed. Until they got the lead, Canada attacked and not only got 3-4 good chances, but had several opportunities to spring through players, either just deflected or just a bit off the mark. Thats the kind of thing that gets better as the tournament goes on.

Based on the last two games, I think McKenna has fought his way into the number two striker position. He is still raw, but his ball skills show improvement every time he plays and he is a handful for the defenders with his size, tenacity and physical play. I thought he had the second goal, or at least a damn good shot at it, there towards the end but his touch and pace let him down. He can't do much about the latter, but his touch gets better every time I see him play.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Damn Shaw...went down after my first post and stayed down until I finally gave up at 1am :( So, first things first: Say hello back to Maryanne, Cheeta.

I thought we played pretty well and were even with Costa Rica for all by the 10-15 minutes on either side of the half. Lars played very well. He made the one exceptional save on Parks and played at an international level with the rest. Not show stopping, game saving saves, but the kind of saves you expect from a keeper at this level. It is his shot stopping (as Ed said) that puts him above Pat, IMO, and his development in the other aspects of he game is coming along very nicely. His positioning was great, and he seemed very composed in the box generally. Hastings played pretty well, Matthew, and my observation about Pozniak was not really stick for Hastings. I just liked the way Pozniak played with the ball, the way he marked his man, and I thought he showed very well when his man had the ball (i.e. one on one defending). Hastings game has come a long way and you are correct in that those long diagonal balls had as much to do with Nash as Hastings. He got over there quick enough, so generally I was satisfied with his play. He was beaten one on one a bit more than I'd like to see, but the big zero beside Costa Rica on the scoreboard speaks to that.

As for Steve Sampson's [:o)] comments, well they speak for themselves. I hope he maintains that philosophy, since it will be easier to come back from a deficit against them.

I was very pleased with the Tactics, which I did not view as negative at all. Canada maintained a counter attack threat after they got the lead, and when they did, they did with decent numbers. Compare that to the game against Ecuador, where the counter threat never existed. Until they got the lead, Canada attacked and not only got 3-4 good chances, but had several opportunities to spring through players, either just deflected or just a bit off the mark. Thats the kind of thing that gets better as the tournament goes on.

Based on the last two games, I think McKenna has fought his way into the number two striker position. He is still raw, but his ball skills show improvement every time he plays and he is a handful for the defenders with his size, tenacity and physical play. I thought he had the second goal, or at least a damn good shot at it, there towards the end but his touch and pace let him down. He can't do much about the latter, but his touch gets better every time I see him play.

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

just tired/tactical.

Some very nice runs too, a better touch from McKenna on one occasion and he was in alone on the keeper from about 30 meters. He attacked very well and added a nice dimension onthe right.

Had to work during the game :( but just watched my tape after a long sleep (knew I wouldn't be able to watch CR while tired, too frustrating). Brilliant!

As for negative tactics, a buddy of mine is Chilean and he watched the game between Chile and CR in Santiago recently. He said CR laid back and counter-attacked. Hmmm!

Sampson [:o)] is an ass, always has been and always will be. One word for you Steve-oh, scoreboard.

Agreed with Holger's comments about Cuba - must be cautious and play with the same edge/desperation.

P.S. thanx to sportsnet for cutting to You Gotta See This immediately after the final whistle, I was afraid I would miss it. :D

Well I just had an eye opener.

Anyone else notice not one complaint on the ref. or Holger. What a difference winning makes with perseptions.

No ones compained about Holger's starting lineup. The formation. The tactical regiment. The Gaffer's gotten some very nice praise from a few fellows (myself included) for the timing, selection, and apparent purpose of the sub's. And it seems at least everyone's so far in agreement that the lads looked fairly in tune together, playing off the same page. Not bad. Lars isn't the only one who needs a Gold Cup to keep the ol' career alive and refreshed.

That T & T ref. sure bought a few from the Costa Ricans but did fairly well I'd otherwise say. And the back line played the offside to great effect more than once. That's not easy work and you'd hate to see it spoiled by a lazy or less than professional linesman. Nice that we didn't.

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The more I read Sampson's comments, the more I think that he is a man who is worried about job security. A team that is ranked 18th in the world, should be able to put guaranteed chances into the net (further proof that FIFA rankings are flawed). Cuba has been improving in the last year or so, and has been doing decently in their friendlies leading up to the Gold Cup. If Cuba also upsets Costa Rica, Sampson will probably lose his job.

-------------------------

"Underneath the fading sun,

The silent sum of a businessman

Has left us choking"

Half Day Closing - Portishead

Now wouldn't that be a pity. Sampson's short holiday in the central Americas over. And after all the glowing praise he's received from his countrymen on saturday's broadcast and others. How very disappointing for them all that would be.;)

"Minority of one"

Well I just had an eye opener.

Anyone else notice not one complaint on the ref. or Holger. What a difference winning makes with perseptions.

No ones compained about Holger's starting lineup. The formation. The tactical regiment. The Gaffer's gotten some very nice praise from a few fellows (myself included) for the timing, selection, and apparent purpose of the sub's. And it seems at least everyone's so far in agreement that the lads looked fairly in tune together, playing off the same page. Not bad. Lars isn't the only one who needs a Gold Cup to keep the ol' career alive and refreshed.

That T & T ref. sure bought a few from the Costa Ricans but did fairly well I'd otherwise say. And the back line played the offside to great effect more than once. That's not easy work and you'd hate to see it spoiled by a lazy or less than professional linesman. Nice that we didn't.

"Minority of one"

Hey Cheeta:

Ignored your advice about drinking Canadian beer. At half time (when it was finally noon in Sask.), I decided that since Azteca was where I wanted to see the boys play, a Corona was the appropriate beverage. Was worried I might have errored for the first 10 minutes however :D

Oh, Geezus, man!

Well your heart was in the right place.

Should have seen the panic around my place. Decided against going to the Cue Club in the end but had forgotten about the noticably vacant beer fridge at about oh, quarter to. Thanks to some F1 viewing habits in my younger days I was still able to make kickoff with my dozen little Mooseheaded friends. With beer, you're never alone.

By the way. Apparently we're off to rent a Rug Doctor this afternoon. Lost 1/2 a beer to spillage and foam on Imhoff's chance and just dowsed everything on the Stalteri goal. Ug.

"Minority of one"

Archived