Match Thread: August 26, 2023 - HFX Wanderers v Valour

narduch

13 hours ago, shorty said:

I know what you're saying OTP, but to play devil's advocate -- do you think York will find it easy to sign U21s currently, despite the rule being in place?  Do you think that Forge, Cavalry and Pacific wouldn't still attract and sign U21s in the absence of the rule?  ....

They'd always be able to find players who would sign, but in the absence of a rule that makes sure they have a very good shot at significant playing time would it still be the ones they are most likely to get a transfer fee for a few seasons down the road?

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They'd always be able to find players who would sign, but in the absence of a rule that makes sure they have a very good shot at significant playing time would it still be the ones they are most likely to get a transfer fee for a few seasons down the road?

I think it would if the club's reputation is for development and giving kids minutes.

13 minutes ago, shorty said:

I think it would if the club's reputation is for development and giving kids minutes.

Exactly. There doesn’t need to be a league wide rule in place to lure a talented prospect, or even guarantee them playing time. Getting rid of the rule wouldn’t mean clubs stop signing, playing or developing players, but it would make their minutes more meaningful, and imo more likely to attract transfer fees for young players that are contributing 

Edited by Aird25

I agree with you mostly, but I don’t think clubs would all keep signing U21s in the complete absence of a league rule. The incentive that a young player could be developed and sold is real but it’s long-term and a long shot. Some clubs just wouldn’t bother. And maybe that’s okay. But the stated  raison d’être for the league is domestic capacity which is why they chose to have a more immediate incentive to nudge all clubs in that direction. I actually agree with you more than it sounds. I just think there needs to be some short-term incentive as well. Maybe a tie-break is enough? Who knows. 

And yeah, I saw the montage of Gazdov mistakes and it’s more than I remember, I grant you. Still don’t think Baskett (or Wirth or Village) are miles above him though, which is sad to say. Irving has been our best keeper in the 5 years, and even he had some notable flaws.