New Format CCL 2023/2024

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, what was it, 1 day before? Sorry, but I really don't think they are going to change the club continental championship for 1 guy.

The new format was announced a few months back - only the name changed this week from "league to cup"

6 hours ago, Kent said:

When would this change happen? Right after Inter Miami qualifies for Champions League? Before?

As soon as the 2025 edition of the tournament. Remember when they initially brought back the group stage
CCL_revisedformat2023.png

Then they replaced it with regional tournaments and League cup as qualifiers to the to the home and away games (most likely because someone complained about schedule congestion) --> yes conveniently the League Cup serves as qualifier (CPL not invited) for North America and now it's called "cup" instead of "league"

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm sorry, but I think what you are suggesting is pie in the sky stuff. I really wish they would bring back the group stage, but I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

What's one more change at this point for 2025, it's not like they've "never" changed things up out of the blue...

It's just fact that the group stage means more games than the current 1st round, it makes total business sense for concacaf to want to capitalize on Messi being part of this region and feature him in as many concacaf games as possible to grow the tournament's brand and potential revenues/exposure worldwide.

It would be a mistake to assume that MLS or a CONCACAF league will lend every generational GOAT when the Saudis are willing to throw billions at them. For me, this is a potentially one in a generation opportunity for this region to grow it's club competition

Edited by Ansem

as long as montagliani is at the top there will be 🗑️ formats

remember this?

At stake in 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League is a spot in the Concacaf Hex for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers. After the June 2020 rankings, 35 Concacaf nations will be divided onto two pathways to Qatar 2022: the top-six nations in the Concacaf Hex (from which three nations will qualify for Qatar 2022) and the other 29 nations in series of group stage and knockout phase matches (from which one nation will face the fourth-place finisher from the Hex after which that winner will represent Concacaf in a FIFA intercontinental playoff for a spot at Qatar 2022).

...lol 🤦‍♀️