CPL Canadian Player Quotas

I would think that the CSA starting Canadian quotas in the Voyageur's Cup - if increased- could help level the playing field a little when playing MLS clubs. That is, if there are Canadian quotas (sorry import restrictions) already existing for CPL clubs. In other words, if they are already playing with similar criteria and MLS clubs are not, when they meet in the Voyageur's cup competition they would at least have that advantage. That should level the playing field a little.

17 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Academy age players need to develop. If they are under 20 and getting minutes in the USL/PDL leave them be. I want the CPL to supplement the MLS pipeline of Canadian talent, not to poach it. 

I'd expect CPL to have their own academies. I doubt CPL wants to be MLS farms unless those MLS clubs are willing to show the $$$$ for them. CPL wants to develop their own stars and be competitive in their own rights.

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

This seems like a dumb idea and would damage the league if anything...also why would Canadians players come home to play in a league that gets smoked to an MLS team 6 or 7 nothing?

I don't think I explained very well. My thinking was more that in year 1, when CPL teams are playing with whoever they can scrape together (NCAA, L1O, USL, etc. to make up the numbers) they may get beaten badly. The next year when those players that maybe didn't have pro experience are a year older and a year better, and the teams will have been playing together (if there isn't huge roster turnover) they maybe do a bit better. that 6-0 loss becomes a 4-1 loss. If the league has momentum, I think that's when I was envisioning more players from overseas to be interested in the league.

Anyways, like all of us, I don't have a crystal ball and don't know what would result from different possibilities. I just wanted to raise the point that an increasing Canadian content rule could potentially lower the quality of play and cause a loss of fan interest momentum. But you could be right, if it's not good enough right away it might be hard to recover. I do hope that there is a large amount of Canadian content, and that CPL teams are able to draw a significant number of Canadians that are playing abroad at a decent level.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

From everything I've read regarding minutes quotas in world football, it seems that they have at best a trivial effect on player development. Age quotas (X number of minutes must be given to players under age X) accomplish a similar task and promulgate academy growth.

I agree, and it makes manager decisions hokey

7 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

How exactly is that a good thing for Canadian soccer? I want as many Canadians as possible in MLS academies. The CPL should grow its own talent. 

Competition for players/talent tends to focus management's attention doesn't it?  

If TFC is maybe a bit lazy in developing their Canadian talent simply because the can be (because of the lack of playing options for those players for example) and say player X feels his development isn't be taken seriously, then CanPL provides a chance to move forward.  Thank you TFC for getting things rolling, it's been fun.

Keeping your Canadian prospects happily moving forward in their MLS careers (you know, in order to retain them) hurts Canadian soccer how exactly?  Escapes me.

15 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't think I explained very well. My thinking was more that in year 1, when CPL teams are playing with whoever they can scrape together (NCAA, L1O, USL, etc. to make up the numbers) they may get beaten badly. The next year when those players that maybe didn't have pro experience are a year older and a year better, and the teams will have been playing together (if there isn't huge roster turnover) they maybe do a bit better. that 6-0 loss becomes a 4-1 loss. If the league has momentum, I think that's when I was envisioning more players from overseas to be interested in the league.

Agreed; and from this point of view, an August 2018 start would be very beneficial.

I really like how Elon Musk runs his businesses.  He has a long-term goal for each business, but in order to accomplish that long-term goal, he figures out a way to make the business financially sustainable.

In the case of the CPL, CSA has stated that the goal is an improved CMNT and more Canadians playing at a higher level.  Those are excellent goals and definitely something to strive for.  But the CPL must also be sustainable.

In which case, as much as I support some form of Canadian quota (or more accurately a import limit), the league has to make sure the on-field product is of a high enough quality to attract new fans.  This means fewer teams to start (six is probably ideal) and a higher import limit.  This will allow the league to attract new fans through a quality product and thus increase the likelihood of sustainability.

Over time, as Canadian players improve, the league can reduce the import limit, increase the number of teams and create more opportunities for Canadian players.

Archived