The Puerto Rico situation

matty

I'm not sure how many of you are aware but there's going to be a referendum in Puerto Rico in 12 days where the island's status will be voted on. The options are A) Become a state B ) Maintain current status or C) Become an independent nation. Right now statehood is leading (29% of the vote according to current polls), so there is a decent enough chance Puerto Rico becomes a state in the near future (after congress figures out how to handle this).

While options B and C have no real impact, A could have a big impact on CONCACAF as they would likely be absorbed into the US.

How do you see this loss of Puerto Rico affecting CONCACAF? 

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I don't believe the referendum will be binding in any way; PR's status will only change if Congress decides to give a shit about it.

Wouldn't hold my breath.

I think congress cpuld go either way on Puerto Rico right now. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

But still 97% of people who voted, voted to become the 51st state.  

The US should grant it with that % in favour.

The vote results are ostensibly pointless. They are in no way legally binding. The whole point of the vote was to show the US Congress that there is overwhelming support for statehood. Because of this the non-state advocates campaigned for people to not vote. There was only 23% turnout when turnout in the country is usually around 60%. So really it was a terrible result for the pro-state movement. 

Agree....I think there is a majority for statehood in PR but its not the margin shown....its a complicated issue there...add in the fact I doubt a Republican dominated Congress has any interest in letting PR in...in the end the mass exodus of Puerto Ricans to the mainland US will continue IMO....

Archived