CPL & Cup

PSG55

OK, so early days I know... However, does anyone think there might be scope to resurrect the Open Canada Cup once the CPL kicks off? Would be great to have a system like the US Open Cup where CPL teams could meet provincial clubs etc. Also pads out the fixture list a bit too. Be interesting to hear other's thoughts?

I was under the impression that plans were already underway (or at least tabled)  to expand the v-cup in precisely that way.  Maybe not totally open - but to allow entry into the v-cup via the amateur club championship.  Anything els would have to be done on a provincial or regional basis anyway to keep travel costs low for amateur teams, so I think we are already on the path to achieving the same objective.

46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was under the impression that plans were already underway (or at least tabled)  to expand the v-cup in precisely that way.  Maybe not totally open - but to allow entry into the v-cup via the amateur club championship.  Anything els would have to be done on a provincial or regional basis anyway to keep travel costs low for amateur teams, so I think we are already on the path to achieving the same objective.

I don't think there's any plans yet to include the Challenge Trophy winners, which is really the last step in making the cup "open". It's probably also the most difficult to include, since the teams would probably have to have their travel completely subsidized by the CSA and usually don't play on pitches that pro teams would consider acceptable

Unless by amateur you mean L1O/PLSQ

8 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Why not just expand the Voyageurs Cup?

bingo

as far as I'm concerned the V-cup should replace provincial tournaments.  The higher league you're in, the later you enter, but I don't really see any reason why every single team in the country should have a chance to qualify their way in. 

Can you imagine the grassroots market penetration power this would have?

7 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't think there's any plans yet to include the Challenge Trophy winners, which is really the last step in making the cup "open". It's probably also the most difficult to include, since the teams would probably have to have their travel completely subsidized by the CSA and usually don't play on pitches that pro teams would consider acceptable

Unless by amateur you mean L1O/PLSQ

oh, and if a team can't afford to travel, they can try to crowdfund or they'll be disqualified.  I don't think the CSA should be subsidizing anyone (nasty like canadian habit we have cough cough bombardier :P )

the CSA simply can't afford it. 

Some teams will manage to raise the money to travel and some won't.  But hey, if people understand that a game is for the chance to go play a pro-squad, it makes marketing it a hell of a lot easier - even if people normally wouldn't pay to see the team play.

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

oh, and if a team can't afford to travel, they can try to crowdfund or they'll be disqualified.  I don't think the CSA should be subsidizing anyone (nasty like canadian habit we have cough cough bombardier :P )

the CSA simply can't afford it. 

Some teams will manage to raise the money to travel and some won't.  But hey, if people understand that a game is for the chance to go play a pro-squad, it makes marketing it a hell of a lot easier - even if people normally wouldn't pay to see the team play.

I am pretty sure it is fairly standard for FAs to subsidize some of the travel expenses of amateur teams. Pretty sure it happens in the US Open Cup.

I don't think it would be out of the CSA's reach to subsidize a couple flights for the Challenge Trophy winners. They've got a budget of around 25 million

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I am pretty sure it is fairly standard for FAs to subsidize some of the travel expenses of amateur teams. Pretty sure it happens in the US Open Cup.

I don't think it would be out of the CSA's reach to subsidize a couple flights for the Challenge Trophy winners. They've got a budget of around 25 million

hm, did not know that.

In that case, all hail Whitehorse FC

valhalla here we come

I'd like to see 3 MLS teams + CPL teams + each provincial champion team in a cup.

That still only be 20 teams or so.

Seeing local amateur teams take on an MLS team would bring on a whole different level of excitement.  Probably grow the game at the top level in Canada..

My hopefully-soon-to-net-be-a-pipe-dream Voyageurs Cup would include the existing 5 MLS, NASL and USL clubs. 8 CPL clubs and the winners of League1 Ontario, PLSQ and Challenge Cup from previous season.

16 team single knockout format. Do a live stream draw each round similar to the FA Cup and voila!

Archived