Who can record Olympic games?

Hi everyone, I apologize if this isn't allowed here.  I am just trying to get someone to help me.  The Canada vs. Australia and the vs. Germany game will both be on weekdays, meaning I'll be stuck at work.  No, I cannot get time off.  No, I don't want to just watch the re-run because the time might not work.  No, I cannot somehow record the games myself because I don't have the tools.  Is anyone able to record these games for me and send them to me, so I can watch them sometime after work?  I can pay maybe $15 per game.

I know there is a website that sells women's soccer DVD's but I already talked to him and he is no longer recording for teams other than the USA.  Hence I don't know if anyone here can do it.

Even if you can't do it, can you at least tell me what times are the Australia and the Germany games?  I see the times on Wikipedia but I don't know what time zone that is in??

And can you also tell me, is CBC not broadcasting these games?  I read in another thread which implied this.

16 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm not sure what the problem is, as CBC will likely have the games available On Demand by the time you get home from work.

Hi Joe, if it is like you said, there would be NO problem whatsoever.  However, the issue is whether CBC would even broadcast those games.  If they do, what time with the replay be on?  I am not sure what On Demand is?  Is that like replay?  Please help!

I'm pretty sure CBC is broadcasting the women's games in full starting before the opening ceremonies (against Australia on August 3).  On Demand is they have it available for viewing (for free) on their website a few hours after the game has been played.

That is how I have been watching the Olympics on CBC because believe it or not CBC (English) is not available where i live.

Speaking of work, I have to go, I'll try and get you proof positive later.

6 months to Rio: CBC announces programming details for Olympics
Digital-first strategy will deliver more coverage than ever before
CBC Sports Feb 05, 2016

We're just six months away from the Rio Olympic Games, and the CBC is revealing the first details of its plans for programming.  From Aug. 5-21, Rio de Janeiro will welcome 10,500 athletes from 206 countries in what will be the first Olympic Games held by a South American city

Canada's Olympic broadcaster through 2024, the CBC will bring the Games to Canadians across digital, broadcast and radio platforms and will offer more content than ever before.

Digital

The CBC's digital-first strategy allows audiences to watch what they want, when they want, wherever they want.  Canadian viewers wil have more access to Olympic coverage across all web and mobile platforms. An enhanced Rio 2016 App will provide fans with:
    more than 2,000 hours of live streaming sports coverage
    real-time results
    video highlights
    interactive medal standings
    fully accessible on-demand content
    the ability to choose from a variety of camera angles

An immersive, 360-degree virtual reality experience will allow fans to see Olympic events from inside the stadium and even on the field of play through VR headsets, and iOS and Android devices.

Broadcast

1,275 hours of Olympic coverage will be available to Canadians across CBC TV, ICI Radio-Canada Tele, and broadcast partners TSN, Sportsnet and RDS. English-language viewers can expect to see some familiar faces from a veteran team that has covered a combined 23 Olympic Games as broadcasters for CBC/Radio Canada.

Ron MacLean will host Olympic Games Morning , airing 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. ET (4 a.m. to 9 a.m. PT)
    Andi Petrillo and David Amber will host Olympic Games Daytime, airing 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. ET (9 a.m. to 3 p.m. PT)
    Scott Russell will host the nightly Olympic Games Primetime block, airing 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET (3 p.m. to 10 p.m. PT)

"What other event can bring people together from around the world of every race, gender, faith and orientation to one place at one time to celebrate humanity? Only the Olympic Games can do that," said Russell. "And we at CBC/Radio-Canada just can't wait."

French-language viewers will receive coverage from a robust team of their own, which includes Olympic diver Alexandre Despatie along with Alexis de Lancer and Marie-José Turcotte.

Radio

CBC Radio One and ICI Radio-Canada Premiere will provide special programming, with TSN Radio also carrying Olympic Games broadcasts as the official affiliate radio broadcaster.  Scott Regehr and Andie Bennett will host CBC Radio's network coverage.  Further details of CBC/Radio-Canada's programming and broadcast plans for the 2016 Games will be revealed in the coming months.

In the meantime, cbcsports.ca/olympics, ICI.Radio-Canada.ca/olympiques and CBC's social media accounts remain Canada's best sources for the latest Canadian Olympic news and information.
Twitter: @cbcolympics | @RC_Sports
Facebook: facebook.com/cbcolympics | facebook.com/radiocanada.sports
Instagram: @cbcolympics | @rc_sports
Snapchat: CBCSports

CBC Sports to broadcast Canada Soccer’s final pre-Olympic International Friendly against France
canadasoccer.com 19 July 2016

CBC’s coverage of the Women’s National Team continues next month at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, beginning Wednesday, Aug. 3 when Canada takes on Australia at 14.00 ET / 11.00 PT, with pre-match coverage beginning at 13.30 ET / 10.30 PT. Schedules, news, and more features regarding CBC/Radio-Canada’s coverage of Rio 2016 is available at cbc.ca/olympics.

Thanks Joe!  You've been so helpful.  I checked out all the links you posted.  So I guess I can download the app, and then watch after work?  Just a question.  When you watch it On Demand after work, do you see headlines that spoil the scores for you?

Also where are you from?  CBC English isn't available where you live?

3 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Thanks Joe!  You've been so helpful.  I checked out all the links you posted.  So I guess I can download the app, and then watch after work?  Just a question.  When you watch it On Demand after work, do you see headlines that spoil the scores for you?

Also where are you from?  CBC English isn't available where you live?

I don't know anything about the portable apps but you can simply go to the website and click on the link and watch just like you can now with their regular programs. 

I can't remember if it was CTV or CBC (might have been CBC) but they really pissed me off because the link to the game was basically the final score.  I think I wrote to them about that but it wouldn't hurt to start a writing campaign for them not to do that again.  Most broadcasters don't do that so I was surprised when CBC did and the only reasons I could think of doing so were to keep people from watching the streams instead of live, which is ridiculous if you're going to the trouble of offering the streams.  One good thing about watching online is usually no commercials but soccer doesn't have any anyway but it is cool to watch a whole let's say gymnastic competition and fast forward your way through it.

There's quite a few places in Canada where the analog CBC OTA (over the air) transmitters were shut down and not replaced with digital ones.

Just found this CBC help site that contains: Learn how to stream video and audio, use our mobile site and download CBC apps

At the top right of the page you can send a request, I just did.  I ask other folk to take a minute and do the same under Olympics and Olympics website

"Will the CBC be posting the final scores (ie soccer games) as the hyperlink or near the links to On Demand content.  It is very annoying and ruins the experience of using the stream.  This happened on the CBC website at the last Olympics and was extremely disappointing for CBC to do that for apparently no good reason.

As there are areas in the country that do not have CBC digital OTA service, we rely on the streams and hope that this posting of scores near On Demand links will not recur."

In case anybody needs some help finding archived games, you go to the main page then click on Schedule.  When at the schedule page look for your sport and click on the block to the right (on the corresponding day that the event took place.)

If you want to find Canada's first game you obviously go to the soccer row and click on the first block to the right (Wed Aug 3).  This is where it kinda sucks that again they posted the final score, unfortunate if you've been trying to avoid it for a while. 

There are red circles with numbers inside them.  One circle is for video, one is for articles, the number indicates how many videos or articles are available when you click on the circle.

Now I come to the whole point of my posting.  Once you click on the circle for video you'll find three videos, there's two vids for the Canada/Australia game and one for Germany/Zimbabwe.  The third video (with a picture of Sinclair) is the game with CBC commentary.  The first video has a generic Olympic graphic and is the international commentary.

So if you want to watch the game from a differing perspective watch the international feed.  Just a note, not sure why but the audio for that feed was horrible, the wild sound was too high and overwhelming the commentary which was muffled in it's own right almost to the point of unusability.  I played with my audio settings and you may have to do the same if you want to listen to this broadcast.

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

So if you want to watch the game from a differing perspective watch the international feed.

Thanks!  It seemed like the crowd was decidedly against the Canadians in the first game.  I listened to the CBC feed, and didn't get a sense as to why.  Does anyone know if the international feed addressed that?

Thanks for all your tips, Joe.  I did watch Canada vs Australia but sadly, I clicked on the wrong page and the score was spoiled for me.  I'm not complaining though because I am just grateful that I am able to watch the games without paying someone to record it.

rkomar, I honestly can't speak for this but I have, in the past, ordered DVD's from a man who recorded all the soccer games from the USA.  The commentator was, you guessed it, Brandi Chastain.  I like her, but I found that she was biased the other way - she was too kind to Canada and more critical of her own country.  This was back when Canada was playing direct with long balls and almost no possession.  I remember getting frustrated every time Canada got dispossessed, and there Chastain was, being so nice and polite about it.  I understand Chastain isn't a commentator anymore.  Don't get me wrong - I like Chastain.  I like anyone who talks nicely about Canada but I've always wondered if she was like that just so people would not think that she had any grudges against a team that she probably didn't like playing against.

Actually, I'm going to listen to the international commentator right now for Canada vs Australia!

I rewatched the international feed, and they had the crowd noise cranked up so loud that it sounded like the spectators were excited for every play.  I couldn't hear half of what the commentators said, so I'm still in the dark.  Maybe I'm imagining things, but even Herdman mentioned the crowd's antipathy in the postgame interview.

7 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Thanks for all your tips, Joe.  I did watch Canada vs Australia but sadly, I clicked on the wrong page and the score was spoiled for me.  I'm not complaining though because I am just grateful that I am able to watch the games without paying someone to record it.

I don't think you'll be able to avoid the score unless you divert your eyes to the red circles on the right, but then how do you make sure you click on the right game?

I think I figured out how you can get to the On Demand match without going through the page that gives the score.  I wouldn't put money on it but I think I might have it right. :)

The first game (Australia) was at:
http://olympics.cbc.ca/schedules/related/discipline=FB/match=FBW400F01/videos.html

the second (Zimbabwe) is at
http://olympics.cbc.ca/schedules/related/discipline=FB/match=FBW400F03/videos.html

the third game (Germany) should be at
http://olympics.cbc.ca/schedules/related/discipline=FB/match=FBW400F06/videos.html

Notice at the end of the link (before /videos) it says F01 F03 or F06.  That means Group F Match 1, 3 or 6.  Why the match numbers are named that I'm not sure, but they are.

Thank you, Joe.  If this is correct, then you're a genius for figuring it out.  I will click on your third link tomorrow and hopefully I can get directly to the Canada vs Germany game without seeing the score.  I want to be surprised tomorrow.

Now, I think Joe's link will work, but if for some reason it doesn't and someone else catches it, please let me know tomorrow!  After work, I'll come on here first before I go on the CBC homepage and risk being spoiled.  Thanks again Joe and all you helpers tomorrow!

Archived