Domestic Quota in Voyageurs Cup competition

According to the final blurb in a Weber article this week, it is something that is being looked at:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/weber+rush+revise+domestic+rule/11569154/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

More Canadian Content?

An all-Canadian development league is also a major goal of Canada Soccer, although that remains a work in progress. There’s also momentum to add a Canadian player quota for the Amway Canadian Championship games, with officials from Canada Soccer and all the professional clubs set to meet on the issue. This summer’s final between Montreal and Vancouver — won by the Caps — featured very little Canadian content, which has been a sore spot for the CSA and some fans

On 12/8/2015 at 4:30 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

There should be no prob to impose quotas. In Spain now they put a limit of players not on the 1st team roster, you can't play whoever you want or stick an 11 of B team players. I bet they do similar elsewhere. I like the idea

I would prefer this, they should be fielding the best team they can or our cup becomes a joke.

The Canadians on the team needs to be fixed at the league level, not the V's cup. 

On 12/8/2015 at 7:30 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

There should be no prob to impose quotas. In Spain now they put a limit of players not on the 1st team roster, you can't play whoever you want or stick an 11 of B team players.

This is key.  If the teams are allowed to bring in 'B' players for V-Cup matches it really does nothing for Canadian development.

Anyway the CSA can get more Canadians on MLS and NASL (1st team) rosters is a positive move.  I just wonder about how Canadian MLS clubs in particular would take to the idea of carrying more Canadians on the squad given their dependence on American talent.  Would the MLS clubs consider stepping away from the Voyageurs Cup?

Personally, I would not have a problem with a quota as long as it is reasonable; something like 3 of the 11 starters must be Canadian. All of our professional clubs should be able to comply given their current roster makeup. It would add a bit of Canadian flavour to the games, and help integrate young Canadians with first team players.

On 2015-12-10 at 2:38 AM, admin said:

I would prefer this, they should be fielding the best team they can or our cup becomes a joke.

The Canadians on the team needs to be fixed at the league level, not the V's cup. 

That's fundamentally it, the leagues (or rather MLS, Canadian NASL clubs still treat Canadian's as domestics) that needs player and play time quotas put on it. However, how hard the CSA can push the MLS teams with so little influence in MLS (compared to the USSF) remains the question.

Still, it would at least give many Canadians on these teams a chance to get off the bench and stretch their legs. Too bad the tourney is too short for it to be meaningful.

Archived