FIFA U17 men World Cup Chile 2015

The Ref

Because they're all 23 years old. I have a Nigerian mate who swears to me he attended the u-17 camp when he was 23 and that his mate made the team. 

He also pointed out the fact that most Nigerians fade when they reach 28 (because they're really 32+) and that they rarely go strong at the top level beyond that age and always peak 'early'. Looking back to some great Nigerians, it's probably true. 

Champions Nigeria beat runner up Mexico 6-1 and 3-0 last u17 World Cup. Just unstoppable at this age.

There are wrist scans for every player before youth world cups. They can't use overages anymore. The wrist scan determines a kids real age. 

I saw the article - still a little skeptical. If Nigeria cruises to the title, will be even more dubious.

My friend, I should note, is in his mid-30s now. I was speaking generally and not for this tournament.

I watched Nigeria beat USA yesterday. I don't know how to properly phrase it,  those kids may be 17, but they grow into big athletic men's bodies a lot younger than other countries do...and not at the expense of skill either.

For whatever reason, Nigerian footballers are generally strong, fast and athletic. Has always been that way. Even playing pick up games with them, there are always some very big boys.

It is not surprising that the U-17's are so big. The senior national team is also chalked full of players with speed, skill and physicality. 

Where Nigeria gets into trouble is often their lack of discipline, along with their propensity to get angry when things don't go as planned. They are an expressive people anyway, so keeping emotions in check is not a strength.

Also at the full NT level, the team is always facing some sort of self-inflicted drama, crisis, or controversy. There always seems to be a claim of favouritism for one tribe over another (Igbos selected over Hausas, Hausas selected over Yourbas, etc.) - and when that's not the case, there is always the typical issues of players not getting their bonus, coaches not getting their bonus, good players ignored by coaches due personal fueds ( ex. Obafemi Martins), coaches at odds with players over general nonsense.  

Vincent Enyeama, arguably the best keeper in Ligue 1 (Lille OSC) has over 100 caps and was captain, but had his captaincy stripped because he showed up late for camp due to the death of his mother. He was dismissed in an embarrassing exchange and has now quite the Super Eagles.

Seemingly, you don't get this level of idiocy in the youth national teams, which is probably why they've been so successful (5 time champions and 3 time runners-up at U17).

As they get older though, the results drop - U20 they have 2 silvers and a bronze, Olympics hey have 1 silver and 1 gold. Do these off field issues begin to creep in as you approach the senior level?

To be honest, I don't know what causes this downturn in results, but no doubt that Nigeria would be the undisputed king of Africa if they can clean their shit up - because the talent is there. 

Perhaps one day....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived