Victoria back in PDL for 2016?

Dew and general manager and co-owner Marvin Diercks were both impressed with the season.

The two, however, are contemplating a move back to the United Soccer League’s Professional Development League, where the team played the past few seasons before previous owner Alex Campbell had to step aside, temporarily folding the club.

“We’re definitely leaning toward the PDL,” confirmed Dew, who saved the team along with Diercks. “We’ll probably make that formal application. The biggest stumbling block is the league fees.”

“We’re investigating the possible return to the PDL,” Diercks said. “It’s been on our minds that last month and a half.

“We’re going to look at our season-ticket renewal and sponsorship. That’s the goal.”

Diercks said they would not totally abandon the thought of returning to the PCSL.

“We want to look at what’s best for the club,” he said.

“The team needs to be self-sustaining and not in a position for losses. We need to be able to pay the bills, break even or, ideally, have enough to reinvest in the next season.”

They’re asking fans to renew their season-ticket commitment for the 2016 campaign as early as possible.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/khalsa-edges-highlanders-in-soccer-final-1.2013564#sthash.a0E3lInN.dpuf

Email I just received from the Highlanders:

Greetings to all Victoria Highlanders 2015 Season Ticket Holders!

First off, thank you to all of you for your support of our Team!  Without the Supporters we would not have had ANY season in 2015 let alone the success we have enjoyed. 

Now, here is the key point of my note to you …. Dave Dew and I have some decisions to make regarding 2016.  Perhaps the most important is whether we return to the PCSL, look to return to the Northwest Division of the PDL or seek some other options. 
We need YOU to give us a strong mandate to move the Highlanders forward.  The best way for you to show your support is to RENEW your season tickets for 2016 NOW.  A strong renewal response will assist us in retaining and building our Corporate Sponsorship base and let us know you care about Highlanders soccer.

So, here is how you can help us:

1. Visit TODAY www.selectyourtickets.com and renew your tickets*.   

2. Tell your friends/family or consider giving VHFC tickets as a gift

3. Post on social media our ticket sales information.

*Renewal and new ticket purchases before August 31, 2015 will receive a complimentary Youth/Student season ticket for each Adult Season Ticket purchased.  Prices are guaranteed at 2015 rates until August 31.

Cheers.

Marvin Diercks

General Manager/Owner

Victoria Highlanders FC

Dew and general manager and co-owner Marvin Diercks were both impressed with the season.

The two, however, are contemplating a move back to the United Soccer League’s Professional Development League, where the team played the past few seasons before previous owner Alex Campbell had to step aside, temporarily folding the club.

“We’re definitely leaning toward the PDL,” confirmed Dew, who saved the team along with Diercks. “We’ll probably make that formal application. The biggest stumbling block is the league fees.”

“We’re investigating the possible return to the PDL,” Diercks said. “It’s been on our minds that last month and a half.

“We’re going to look at our season-ticket renewal and sponsorship. That’s the goal.”

Diercks said they would not totally abandon the thought of returning to the PCSL.

“We want to look at what’s best for the club,” he said.

“The team needs to be self-sustaining and not in a position for losses. We need to be able to pay the bills, break even or, ideally, have enough to reinvest in the next season.”

They’re asking fans to renew their season-ticket commitment for the 2016 campaign as early as possible.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/khalsa-edges-highlanders-in-soccer-final-1.2013564#sthash.a0E3lInN.dpuf

I believe the PDL franchise fee is $50,000 US.  I don't know what the annual league fees are.

Jason

I can't believe how unimaginative the owners are being in terms of raising capital. Their intended path is simply "sell lots of season tickets early, then use the impressive numbers to acquire additional corporate sponsorship."

No fan ownership? No community shares? No appeal for donations? Just ticket sales?

Meh.

No fan ownership? No community shares? No appeal for donations? Just ticket sales?

We are trying to work with them on a Kickstarter-style campaign. The problem remains that the guys in charge are soccer coaches not entrepeneurs. The former GM was a rare combination of a "soccer guy" with an entrepreneurial outlook. He was never given free reign and ... well you know the story.

I watched the PCSL playoffs years ago in Kelowna and my lasting memory is of the coaches of one of the Vancouver teams walking over from the team bench and buying beer during the game they were coaching. 

There was beer available for sale last year? Lucky SOB. ;)

Will be interesting to see if the BC soccer association and the CSA allow a PDL team to be sanctioned in Victoria again, if there are active efforts underway to launch a provincial D3 league. In Ontario and Quebec, the presence of L1O and PLSQ is being used as an excuse to block that. 

This is a good question. I don't know if the sanctiong they held previously would still apply or if they would have to start the process from scratch. Of course if the BCD3 is going to actually happen I would rather suck it up and stay in the PCSL for another season <small amount of vomit in my mouth> than try to do PDL for only one year.

That is the question. I was speaking to Marvin about this a few weeks ago and he was hopeful that the PDL would allow the Highlanders to rejoin without paying a new fee. The league appeared ready to do that last year for this season but the organization could not be pulled together in time as Campbell left his decision too late for the 2015 season (remember he closed up shop just daysbefore the league AGM where such decisons had to be made for 2015.)

Archived