Edmonton getting new turf: CSA and city pay for it (not FIFA)

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/FIFA+says+turf+Commonwealth+Stadium+must+ripped+Women+World+faint+white+lines/10806113/story.html

It would have been nice if FIFA had shared some of the cost...

So now we know that Vancouver and Edmonton will get new turf.I also think that Moncton got new turf instead of the previous grass that was there.

Any news for the other sites?

It's customary for FIFA to bear the smaller percentage of costs for staging a world cup ( men or women's ). FIFA puts up some initial investment  capital and then the higher percentage of costs go to the host nation ( local federation, local governments, commercial sponsers ). FIFA willingly paid for the turf in Moncton because it was initially used for the U-20 WWC. That way, FIFA is seen to be  "growing  the game" because the money was directly used for a youth tournament. It's my understanding that the CSA is solely  responsible for all stadium renovations for the WWC and that this was agreed upon, with FIFA, when Canada  was awarded the WWC. Had the HRTO ruled  that temporary grass on turf  must be used for the WWC, then it was likely that the CSA would have to bear the whole installation cost themselves, not FIFA.

It's customary for FIFA to bear the smaller percentage of costs for staging a world cup ( men or women's ). FIFA puts up some initial investment capital and then the higher percentage of costs go to the host nation ( local federation, local governments, commercial sponsers ). FIFA willingly paid for the turf in Moncton because it was initially used for the U-20 WWC. That way, FIFA is seen to be "growing the game" because the money was directly used for a youth tournament. It's my understanding that the CSA is solely responsible for all stadium renovations for the WWC and that this was agreed upon, with FIFA, when Canada was awarded the WWC. Had the HRTO ruled that temporary grass on turf must be used for the WWC, then it was likely that the CSA would have to bear the whole installation cost themselves, not FIFA.

So CSA pays for stadia...what is their cut of ticket sales before expenses?

if anyone thinks the CSA is paying for this they haven't watched FIFA operate much. CSA may write the cheque but that'll be "refunded" some way I'm sure. 

Are you saying that FIFA will cut a cheque to the CSA president like they used to do for Trinidad and Tobago with Jack Warner the president of T&T who ended up owning a training centre FIFA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Jo%C3%A3o_Havelange_Centre_of_Excellence paid for ?

FIFA is currently planning to build a new centre for T&T  http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/FIFA-to-fund-National-Training-Centre-269629251.html , since the old center is ... becoming... a wedding reception centre.

http://www.coetnt.com/blog.php

“Initially the Dr. Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence was established to be a hub of football education, expertise and skills training, catering to the needs of players, both club and national teams, sports officials, referees and other stakeholders, with a mission to achieve a sustained level of excellence in every aspect of the game.” We are happy to announce that we are moving a away from a sports centered complex and evolving into a premier place for all imaginable events. Think corporate training, retreats, concerts, fundraisers, parties, symposiums, weddings and trade shows, it can all be hosted here. We offer space rental onsite with a wide choice of seven halls in addition to other open or outdoor space rental. What’s wonderful about booking with us is the amenities; fully air conditioned spaces with audiovisual capabilities and onsite catering.

We expect 2014 to continue to be an awesome year of transformation for us as we move towards building a multi-purpose dynamic event complex with the necessary value added services to serve our clients needs. We’ve launched our new website at www.coetnt.com along with social media platforms to keep us connected with our clients 24 hours a day. These are just some of the activities on a list of initiatives geared at improving customer service and improving communication with the general public. We are excited and looking forward to continuous change that benefits the end users and Trinidad & Tobago as a whole.

Yes your right Bill ...FIFA does operate in weird and wonderfull ways..

You scratch my back, I scratch yours.  That's pretty much the way the world has operated for thousands of years through every political and geographic combination under the stars.  It's also most oft quoted by non-backscratchers.

The turf fee will probably come from the tournaments profit, and the money the CSA would have made on it will be significantly reduced.

You scratch my back, I scratch yours.  That's pretty much the way the world has operated for thousands of years through every political and geographic combination under the stars.  It's also most oft quoted by non-backscratchers.

The turf fee will probably come from the tournaments profit, and the money the CSA would have made on it will be significantly reduced.

FIFA taught Hollywood how to do accounting... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

No movie makes a profit.

Highly unlikely WWC in Canada will turn a profit per the accounting norms FIFA will use.

It's an old game and it's not limited to entertainment or sport.  I always chuckle when owners hit up governments for tax breaks because they're losing money because they've removed all the profit into other companies/places/operations.

I wonder how it works municipally.  Each city had to put up the same funds and will be required to meet similar standards.  If a couple cities receive seven figures of infrastructure investment, is it not goose and gander?

Archived