France vs Canada April 9th (in Bondoufle -suburb of Paris)

What is a fighter?  Go into a boxing gym and watch people train and spar.  There will be a lot of great technical boxers, some with incredible physical prowess or gifts, some with great hand speed, some good hitters, and some who can work the ring for hours without tiring.  The best of these are the one's agents and promoters fawn over.  But then you see them.  The fighters.  You see it in their eyes but you can't describe what it is.  A presence, a sign of life, a spirit, a belief, and most of all a will to go through the gates of hell to come out the other side.  The one who isn't half as skilled or genetically gifted but can take 250 blows and still take out the agents choices and big names in the last round when they're worn down.

That was Canada in London, and that's Josée Bélanger.  It's that great French Canadian passion that the women's game in this country could use a lot more of.

I think your point above is quite astute.  We don't have a lot of superstars.  It's not the individual ingredients, it's the right recipe.

Players rise and fall.  If you follow golf you watch players rise and fall through each season.  They are 100th, 80th, 25th, 8th, 2nd, 4th, 15th, 50th, 80th.  It's never usually exactly that linear but they all have that hot three weeks to a month where they're on top of their game.  Sure the superstars stay near the top but everyone else runs the cycle and peaks in one period.

Peaking is both physical and mental, and I'm not sure how much is under our control.  Fall awkwardly in training and minorly tweak your back, major illness of a family member, lingering stomach virus, troubling disagreement with a partner or close friend, "work" stress, these all affect your game.  The Cup is two months away and although the rosters likely picked, the coaching staff probably have a good idea but won't know who's individually peaking until shortly before the tournament kicks off..

Great post. I don't care how skilled a player is, they need a relentless "you can't beat me" resolve.  I saw that in Belanger.  Some of the less heralded players like Wilkinson are still hanging in there, why?  Because they have the above and that's what's needed to win.  Did you notice how Nault and Wilkinson elevated their game in London.

It always drives me nuts when I see people here (on the men's side) just trying to field a team of our eleven most skilled players.  I think our last generation of players (men's) was the most skilled we ever had but in the heart department they came up lacking.  The present men's team while more workmanlike seems to have a much better blend of skill and heart.

Heart is one thing, I have never seen lacking in our women.  They seem to like adversity and usually have no problem playing away, (my Brazil example above and vs England at the Olympics). 

I would love to know what actually happened at the WC in Germany where they gave a good account of themselves against arguably the best team (and home team) and instead of being buoyed by that fell totally apart.

I like to say that the old Canadian, get a top ten finish and be deemed successful attitude died in Vancouver 2010.  Often times previously Canadian teams choked in front of the home crowd but I can think of only one or two big examples of that in Vancouver whereas everyone else either matched or exceeded their level.

I don't think Canada will win the WWC, but I don't think they're gonna choke either.  The timing is just about perfect to get that win against the USA if they end up matched together.  They've had losses against France and England, two teams I think we can beat.  I think they'll do well in front of the home crowd.

I have a good feeling about Schmidt if she stays at forward.  Like the Tanc, she can be a real bull in the china shop which can be very effective,  Intimidation (physical or mental) and imposing your will is part of every sport.  Re: Schmidt, you heard it here first  :)

It always drives me nuts when I see people here (on the men's side) just trying to field a team of our eleven most skilled players.  I think our last generation of players (men's) was the most skilled we ever had but in the heart department they came up lacking.  The present men's team while more workmanlike seems to have a much better blend of skill and heart.

That transcends most team sports and life in general and is especially true with women.  In international soccer it's easier for guys to self-motivate and emotionally separate themselves from the team because of the richer rewards.  But as you said without the elusive right mix and commitment to each other and the cause it doesn't matter if you have all ten world POTY candidates, you can go home empty-handed like the New York Yankees with their 200 million dollar payroll.

Schmidt was a bit of a hot mess in the Olympics so it's nice to see her having a good run this past year.  That's another element of performance, the magic good or bad season.  On the upside like Chris Kunitz with 35 goals last year out of nowhere or on the down like Phil Kessel this year.  In hockey you can shorten or lengthen or cut shifts, but in soccer it's more difficult because you only have three subs and you can't burn them because you have to hold some cards for injuries.  You don't get second chances or the ability to adjust personnel on the fly.

When everyone is talented the tough part as a coach is deciding who walks on the field today.  Is it someone who did it a couple months ago but isn't as sharp today?  Is it someone who wasn't capable then but is more so now?  Is it a veteran with their experience and having learned mental composure and the ability to handle pressure?  Is it a young player with energy and uncrushed dreams?  Difficult decisions and in women's sport the ability to accept that it's not your day without malice and with buy-in and support can take you a long way.

Very interesting.  Gerard Precheur , coach of Olympique Lyonnais Feminin, expressed a desire to sign Kadeisha Buchanan today. Probably not going to happen but it would be fun to see Buchanan playing with Lotta Schelin and  most of the French women's national team, and contending for a Champions League title.

Archived