Canadians abroad: June 7-13, 2013

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for June 7-13, 2013.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Finland - Kakkonen, Division Lohko Pohjoinen. (Finnish third tier)

Tyler Pasher SCORES. He gets the start, his 7th consecutive. Goes the full 90, and gets the game winning goal in the 26', as PS Kemi Kings down KPV by a scoreline of 3-0. Played every minute this season to date, and Kemi goes to 2nd on the table. Tough to translate, but it appears as though Pasher was involved in all 3 goals, the 2nd playing in Christian Eissele on a cross, and the 3rd goal, Pasher puts the ball into the area (with a shot, I think), and Eissele cleans it up for the 3rd.

If you are a fan of Pasher, check out this video.

Game was a couple weeks ago. At first it looks like he is playing RB, but as you keep watching, I think he's actually playing LM or LW or something! Awesome agility same as we saw very briefly televised for what was basically a TFC reserve squad. Have a watch and see what you guys think, Pasher is number 3 in red.

Finland - Kakkonen, Division Lohko Pohjoinen. (Finnish third tier)

Tyler Pasher SCORES. He gets the start, his 7th consecutive. Goes the full 90, and gets the game winning goal in the 26', as PS Kemi Kings down KPV by a scoreline of 3-0. Played every minute this season to date, and Kemi goes to 2nd on the table. Tough to translate, but it appears as though Pasher was involved in all 3 goals, the 2nd playing in Christian Eissele on a cross, and the 3rd goal, Pasher puts the ball into the area (with a shot, I think), and Eissele cleans it up for the 3rd.

If you are a fan of Pasher, check out this video.

Game was a couple weeks ago. At first it looks like he is playing RB, but as you keep watching, I think he's actually playing LM or LW or something! Awesome agility same as we saw very briefly televised for what was basically a TFC reserve squad. Have a watch and see what you guys think, Pasher is number 3 in red.

just out of curiosity where are you getting this info? Do you speak Finnish?

just out of curiosity where are you getting this info? Do you speak Finnish?

Oh god no, google translate! And right off PS Kemi Kings' website in this case. Google translate doesn't do the best job with Scandinavian language, so it's kind of making the best of minced meat.

Finland Ykkönen (2nd Tier)

David Monsalve starts for Oulu in net, in a game that ends in a 2-2 draw. From some of the comments I've read, for example from Steven Sandor, they lead us to believe he was brought in to immediately start, so this is good for him.

Oh god no, google translate! And right off PS Kemi Kings' website in this case. Google translate doesn't do the best job with Scandinavian language, so it's kind of making the best of minced meat.

Luckily, Finland isn't in Scandinavia!

Luckily, Finland isn't in Scandinavia!

Didn't know that, I always thought it was! CLOSE ENOUGH though! My heritage is Danish so I'm allowed? I guess from looking it up that a lot of people make that mistake, with Faroe Islands and Iceland too...but no, I thought Finland was actually Scandanavian. I guess the Scandanavian peninsula does cover a lot of northern finland. Beats me, you probably know better than me! Either way Pasher is still too talented for tier 3.

Didn't know that, I always thought it was! CLOSE ENOUGH though! My heritage is Danish so I'm allowed? I guess from looking it up that a lot of people make that mistake, with Faroe Islands and Iceland too...but no, I thought Finland was actually Scandanavian. I guess the Scandanavian peninsula does cover a lot of northern finland. Beats me, you probably know better than me! Either way Pasher is still too talented for tier 3.

Since like Lord Bob I am also a good source of useless information I will further your enlightenment about the true meaning Scandinavia! :) Scandinavia is a term referring to the Germanic language and culture of the people of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The Finns are a Uralic language and culture, the Uralic languages (of which there are 4 main ones: Finnish, Estonian, Karelian and Hungarian) are the only non-Indo European languages of Europe. The Scandinavian Peninsula does cover northern Finland but it is named after the Scandinavian people which does not include the Finns so thus the Finns are not considered Scandinavians.

The Uralic languages are very strange in that no one knows why they are in little pockets of Europe that seem unrelated and far from each other like Finnland and Hungary. Even the Karelians of Russia have an area bordering Finland which makes sense but then another pocket in Tver some distance away that has been isolated for centuries from the other Uralic languages and has not evolved in the same way and may indeed be an earlier purer form of the language. I like to think of the Finns, Hungarians etc as a mysterious group which as Spinal Tap said about the Druids of Stonehenge:

In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history lived a strange race of people: The Finns/Hungarians/Estonians/Karelians (take your pick). No one knows who they were or what they were doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zdyo4vJuCU

Since like Lord Bob I am also a good source of useless information I will further your enlightenment about the true meaning Scandinavia! :) Scandinavia is a term referring to the Germanic language and culture of the people of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The Finns are a Uralic language and culture, the Uralic languages (of which there are 4 main ones: Finnish, Estonian, Karelian and Hungarian) are the only non-Indo European languages of Europe. The Scandinavian Peninsula does cover northern Finland but it is named after the Scandinavian people which does not include the Finns so thus the Finns are not considered Scandinavians.

The Uralic languages are very strange in that no one knows why they are in little pockets of Europe that seem unrelated and far from each other like Finnland and Hungary. Even the Karelians of Russia have an area bordering Finland which makes sense but then another pocket in Tver some distance away that has been isolated for centuries from the other Uralic languages and has not evolved in the same way and may indeed be an earlier purer form of the language. I like to think of the Finns, Hungarians etc as a mysterious group which as Spinal Tap said about the Druids of Stonehenge:

In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history lived a strange race of people: The Finns/Hungarians/Estonians/Karelians (take your pick). No one knows who they were or what they were doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zdyo4vJuCU

Interesting, Grizz, thank you

speaking of languages that do not relate to anything......Basque. and i know i add to the useless language convo tht has nothing to do with canadians abroad but just had to add to this

Interesting, Grizz, thank you

its why names from iceland, norway, denmark and sweden often end in either son (sweden, iceland) or sen (denmark, norway) but finnish names often end in nen.

they look similar but the language, lineage and traditions are completely different.

But in modern times it is often referred to, perhaps incorrectly, as a Scandinavian country. Not unheard of for Finland to be thought of that way. I'm Danish origin, my last name is Christoffersen

Speaking of which...what the hell? Armenia? 4-0? Wrong forum for that though.

In Macedonia...

Pelister Bitola (1st div) defeated FK Skopje (2nd div) 1-0 in a playoff to remain in the first division. No idea if Kekec played, or if he will be back next season. He played in 9 games this spring, scoring one goal.

Archived