Rangers FC - Scottish Third Division Champions.

wcs53

Rangers winning the Third Division in Scotland might not seem like a big thing to many, but considering the state of things this time last year when even the future existence of the club was in doubt, this is the first step towards being back where we belong. Today's game was garbage, though (0-0 draw at Montrose), but other games worked in our favour and the title is sewn up with 5 games remaining.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/3652-we-are-the-champions

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/3654-we-deserve-credit-for-win

We'll know in a couple of weeks as the restructuring vote is mid April. Think some SFL clubs are getting cold feet about the whole scheme but we'll see if that matters or not. Would have a hard time betting against it passing for next season (or being "delayed" a year for that matter).

Besides the whole prospect gives McCoist another chance to continue his bleating about always being the victim. The prospect of another year in the bottom tier allows that I guess.

For what it's worth I have to admit I'm onside with this restructuring 12-12-18 scheme. It's grown on me for a number of reasons. Think it worth a go.

We'll know in a couple of weeks as the restructuring vote is mid April. Think some SFL clubs are getting cold feet about the whole scheme but we'll see if that matters or not. Would have a hard time betting against it passing for next season (or being "delayed" a year for that matter).

Besides the whole prospect gives McCoist another chance to continue his bleating about always being the victim. The prospect of another year in the bottom tier allows that I guess.

For what it's worth I have to admit I'm onside with this restructuring 12-12-18 scheme. It's grown on me for a number of reasons. Think it worth a go.

I don't mind the 12-12-18 in principle. I can see a top of tier of any more than 12 makes it difficult to have a mainly full-time second tier. But the mid-season split I'm not fond of. I can see the appeal to the best of the lower-tier clubs but it seems to me to overly reward success in the early half of the season - particularly in a league where two giants bring with them the benefits of away gate income.

Hopefully Rangers stay in the third for sporting reasons though I can see why that doesn't appeal to their fans or their owners though I don't look forward to listening to McCoist blather on about the injustice of it all. :) And we'll see what influence Dunfermline will have on this. But it looks as if Morton might be in the top flight for the first time in a quarter-century...

...and next year, they can be repeat champs thanks to some "restructuring" of the Scottish football pyramind. Funny how of all years Scottish football could've passed a restructuring plan, it's this one.

Would not a restructuring in the 12-12-18 manner (Ergo droping the bottom division) actually help Rangers leapfrog into the second tier? thus giving them one less promotion back to the top flight? Hence the restructuring in the first place?

^

Only the top 24 teams (1st & 2nd tiers) will split into groups of 8 and play out the remaining 14 matches in their prospective groupings. The top 8 SPL teams (in let's call it Group 1) will continue to contest the league title along with European slots.

The bottom 4 SPL teams (at the split) and the top 4 Championship teams will play out a 14 match round robin in "Group 2". Top four of that table at the end of play will be in the SPL next season, bottom four will play in the 2nd tier. Potentially there could be a 100% flip of teams or a 0% flip as all teams will enter the Group with a clean slate.

The bottom 8 teams in the Championship (or whatever they'll end up calling the 2nd tier) will form "Group 3" and carry out the last 14 matches of their season to see who avoids the drop to the bottom division. The 3rd tier champions promote to 2nd tier while the wooden spoon from Group 3 goes down.

So, no. Assuming Rangers will progress back into the SPL at the quickest pace they can under the current system after re-alignment it will still be 2015 for their return to top flight. One less division to progress through but they take the Big Hit of having to stick it out another season in the very bottom league. Winning promotion out of the 3rd Div under the old system wins them nothing under the new system. Not good for morale.

Believe it or not some details still have to worked out (in April, going into an August launch for next season!) but that's pretty much it.

Rangers have no voting power in the SFL yet. Influence? Of course, but no ballot.

Yeah this doesn't fast track the Rangers at all. In fact, their management is critical of the move, saying things like "we'd have to play the same opposition again next year".

Actually this would probably make it more difficult for the Rangers, not less.

^

Only the top 24 teams (1st & 2nd tiers) will split into groups of 8 and play out the remaining 14 matches in their prospective groupings. The top 8 SPL teams (in let's call it Group 1) will continue to contest the league title along with European slots.

The bottom 4 SPL teams (at the split) and the top 4 Championship teams will play out a 14 match round robin in "Group 2". Top four of that table at the end of play will be in the SPL next season, bottom four will play in the 2nd tier. Potentially there could be a 100% flip of teams or a 0% flip as all teams will enter the Group with a clean slate.

I have to admit that looks entertaining.

Yeah this doesn't fast track the Rangers at all. In fact, their management is critical of the move, saying things like "we'd have to play the same opposition again next year".

Actually this would probably make it more difficult for the Rangers, not less.

Oh, I was under the impression that Rangers were under the impression that they would be vaulted to the second tier by virtue of being champs. BUt maybe that was just hopeful speculation.

I agree, a year in the 18 team bottom tier will prove difficult, particularly if it's a round robin home-away - every game a cup final for every single opponent.

I think, all things considered, that Rangers have done pretty well this year. Sure, they have a tonne of resources and their players are massively overpaid for the level they're at but most other SPL teams would not have fared as well given the pressure, spotlight, opposition and grounds. If Dunfermline gets the boot down to tier three, how long will it take them to recover...?

On the bright side, their finances aren't suffering much. They are still dealing with decent crowds and attendance sales, and their merchandise is still moving. I can't see that happening forever if their situation doesn't improve, but I think their fans are confident in the move back to the top tier.

Archived