Canadians abroad: October 21-27, 2011

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for October 21-27, 2011.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Finnish Premier Division:

Riley O'Neill started for MYPA away against HJK. MYPA are 1 - 0 up at half time.

Both Mason Trafford and Luca Bellisomo started for IFK Mariehamn at home against FC Inter Turku. The match has just begun.

Finnish 2nd tier:

Randy Edwini-Bonsu started for AC Oulu against PS Kemi. This match has also just started.

Since I'm enjoying a little time off in the UK:

ENGLAND

See below from Oranje fpr full results - cheers for the updates!

PREMIER LEAGUE

Liverpool 1 - 0 Norwich (HT)

Jackson starts on bench for Norwich. 1-0 Liverpool at the half, might we see Simeon as Norwich go searching for an equalizer? Let us hope....

CHAMPIONSHIP

Reading FC:

Ethan Gage yet to feature in any first team action this season.

CONFERENCE

Cambridge 2 - 0 Lincoln City FT

Gavin McCallum goes 90 for Lincoln City on Friday. McCallum has 17 apps and 3 goals so far this season.

TURKEY - Superliga

Klukowski went 90 at LB and Simspon missed out due to suspension as Manisaspor beat Eskisehirspor 2-0.

DENMARK - SUPERLIGA

Bernier played 90, picking up a late yellow as his Lyngby drew 1-1 with Aarhus. The crowd was reported to be 2490 spectators, which makes some of the NASL numbers look downright European.

SCOTLAND - SPL

Haber starting for St. Johnstone away to Dundee United. Subbed out in the 65th min with the match scoreless, which it how it ended. Looks similar to the Caps last season of D2, where Haber is getting minutes but isn't contributing enough offensively. It's been a LONG time since he put the ball in the net with any consistency. Three goals in his last thirty appearances since that big D2 season of his.

RUSSIA - PREMIER LEAGUE

No DiChiara in the squad list for Samara vs Kuban

PORTUGAL - LIGA ORANGINA (2)

Santa Clara beat UD Oliveirense 2-1 and are now third in the table. Pacheco play 90, picking up a yellow in injury time. Match was played in the Azores before the decidedly underwhelming attendance of 323 souls.

ITALY - SERIE B

No Uccello in the squad list for Crotone.

ISRAEL (There's a first time for everything)

Martin John's Maccabi Netanya beat Hapoel Be'er Sheva 2-1. No word on the squad yet. His side are fourth in the Ligat Ha'al table.

FINLAND - VEIKKAUSLIIGA

Chencinski and VPS lose 1-0 to Haka.

O'Neill plays 90 min for MyPA as they lost 4-1 to HJK. Helsinki is just so much better than everyone else - currently 22 points separate them from second place Inter Turku.

Bellisomo and Trafford start for IFK Mariehamn as they beat Inter Turku 1-0. Jonke came on at halftime but couldn't affect the scoreline.

FRANCE - NACIONAL (3)

Haidar Al-Shaibani and Nimes beat Quevilly 3-1.

Since I'm enjoying a little time off in the UK:

ENGLAND

PREMIER LEAGUE

Liverpool v Norwich (12.30 ET)

Jackson likely to start on bench at Anfield.

CHAMPIONSHIP

Coventry 0 - 0 Burnley (HT)

Edgar starting for Burnley.

Reading FC:

Ethan Gage yet to feature in any first team action this season.

LEAGUE ONE

Huddersfield 2 - 0 Preston (HT)

Hume starting for Preston.

(Here is a link to Hume's goal for Preston from Wednesday's 4-2 loss to Sheff Utd - you will need a UK IP: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15396565.stm)

Bournemouth 1 - 1 Bury (HT)

Peters starting for Bournemouth.

LEAGUE TWO

Burton 2 - 1 Bristol Rovers (HT)

Peschisolido managing Burton.

CONFERENCE

Cambridge 2 - 0 Lincoln City FT

Gavin McCallum goes 90 for Lincoln City on Friday. McCallum has 17 apps and 3 goals so far this season.

Building on Maxs Post:

-Burnley needed one in the 90th to beat Coventry City 2-1 with Edgar going the full 90 and picking up a YC

-Preston couldn’t pull back from the HT scoreline and fall 4-1 to Huddersfield with Hume going 69 minutes

-Bournemouth fall to Bury 2-1 with Peters going the 90

-The HT scoreline between Burton and Bristol doesn’t change as Peschisolido’s Brewers climb to 8th in League 2

FINLAND - VEIKKAUSLIIGA

Chensinski and VPS lose 1-0 to Haka.

O'Neill plays 90 min for MyPA as they lost 4-1 to HJK. Helsinki is just so much better than everyone else - currently 22 points separate them from second place Inter Turku.

Bellisomo and Trafford start for IFK Mariehamn as they beat Inter Turku 1-0. Jonke came on at halftime but couldn't affect the scoreline.

SCOTLAND - SPL

Haber starting for St. Johnstone away to Dundee United

RUSSIA - PREMIER LEAGUE

No DiChiara in the squad list for Samara vs Kuban

ITALY - SERIE B

No Uccello in the squad list for Crotone. Any update on his status?

TURKEY - Superliga

Klukowski went 90 at LB and Simspon missed out due to suspension as Manisaspor beat Eskisehirspor 2-0.

I wrote two weeks ago he was in the midst of some contract problems with Casale (who he was on loan to). His court case has settled (in his favour) and returned (as far as I know) to Crotone on Friday. He's been training in the Canary Islands in the meantime. Likely not match fit because he's been sitting out due to this court case.

I wrote two weeks ago he was in the midst of some contract problems with Casale (who he was on loan to). His court case has settled (in his favour) and returned (as far as I know) to Crotone on Friday. He's been training in the Canary Islands in the meantime. Likely not match fit because he's been sitting out due to this court case.

Thanks for that - I recall someone mentioning contract dispute and Appreciate the extra info. Wasn't it thought by some that this might be his season to crack the lineup?

Thanks for that - I recall someone mentioning contract dispute and Appreciate the extra info. Wasn't it thought by some that this might be his season to crack the lineup?

Yep and it's pretty disappointing that he was sidelined by this issue. But it's sorted out now, so hopefully he'll find an opportunity to fight his way back into the lineup.

^ In fact they do, UD Las Palmas plays in Segunda División and CD Tenerife from 2ªB - Group 1 (Div III) in Spain, which is miles ahead of anything happening in 4th Division Czech Republic.

He was training with Tenerife...

Also, it's fascinating how easy it is to determine who Miro Kliment is.

No matter what he calls himself, he stands out like a crusty old troll.

Lancashire Evening Post: PNE striker aims for World Cup

Preston North End striker Iain Hume has his sights set on being at the 2014 World Cup with Canada.

The 28-year-old is back on the international scene having dropped off the radar when he suffered a fractured skull three years ago.

Canada have already set off down the qualifying road towards the 2014 tournament in Brazil, with them just a point away from safely negotiating the first CONCACAF group stage.

But two more qualifying groups have to be negotiated if Hume and his team-mates are to be rubbing shoulders with football’s elite nations.

International duty does have it drawbacks, Hume suffering a back spasm playing in Canada’s goalless draw against Puerto Rico 10 days ago which kept him out of North End’s defeat at Walsall.

He’s next due to be away in November when Canada face a double header against St Kitts and Nevis, that clashing with PNE’s involvement in the first round of the FA Cup.

Hume told the Evening Post: “It’s good to be back playing for Canada because I never wanted to be out of the fold.

“My form here at Preston has got me back involved, while we went down last season, the goals I scored got noticed.

“Canada wanted me for the Gold Cup in the summer, but the call came a bit late and I’d already booked a holiday with my family.

“I’ve been involved in four World Cup qualifiers now, scoring three goals, and while they came against countries you could describe as minnows, it’s still been enjoyable to score.

“It was disappointing to get the injury in the last game because it was in Toronto in front of my parents, family and friends.

“I wanted to show them what the last 12 years playing over here had been all about, but I had to go off early.

“There’s two more qualifiers next month against St Kitts and Nevis which I’m keen to play in – it would meaning missing the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy game at Rochdale and the first round of the FA Cup.

“But as long as I don’t miss any league games, that is the main thing.

“We’re near enough qualified from this first group stage, and we’ve got a tough group next against Honduras, Cuba and Panama.

“If we finish first or second in that, then we’ll move on to play against countries such as the United States, Jamaica, Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago.

“I think it’s the longest qualifying process in history!”

Tenerife were in La Liga just a couple years ago. surf, soccer and senoritas sounds like a good place to train to me.

True it has been a good place for him to train. Different methods, different country, different vision, which has been good for littlebird as it is his first time out of Italy since 2002. He has enjoyed the opportuntiy they gave him in tenerife and certainally gained the experience and a different vision of their game.

Now that his contract has been resolved and awaits his return back to Crotone which should come soon in the next few days or so, he has trained very hard this during this time and has had to continue to stay fit and prepared to play minutes in any match when he gets back. But your correct, no one does expect him to play 90 minutes for a while at that level and nor does he.

But certainally he can handle any minutes given, and should be easily manageable for him, but only due to his intense training he has recieved in the past month.

True it has been a good place for him to train. Different methods, different country, different vision, which has been good for littlebird as it is his first time out of Italy since 2002. He has enjoyed the opportuntiy they gave him in tenerife and certainally gained the experience and a different vision of their game.

Now that his contract has been resolved and awaits his return back to Crotone which should come soon in the next few days or so, he has trained very hard this during this time and has had to continue to stay fit and prepared to play minutes in any match when he gets back. But your correct, know one does expect him to play 90 minutes for a while at that level and nor does he.

But certainally he can handle any minutes given, and should be easily manageable for him, but only due to his intense training he has recieved in the past month.

Good to see you posting again BigBird!

NORWAY - Tippeligaen (1)

Pozniak played his usual 90, in a 1-0 away loss to Occean's old club Odd Grenland

SWEDEN - Allsvenskan (1)

Stamatopoulos was on the bench as usual, as AIK drew 1-1 with Hutchinson's old side Helsingborg.

TURKEY - Superliga (1)

Borjan has officially( temporarily, we hope) lost his starting job at Sivasspor to 31 y/o Turk Atilla Koca. Koca has the stats of a career back-up/ lower leaguer so hopefully that and the fact that he let in 6 goals to Kayserispor today (6-2 final) will help Milan draw into the starting eleven. There's something vaguely Lars Hirschfeld at Cluj about this situation what with the eastern club with shady reputation and the expensive foreign status of the Canadian keeper. Let's hope this resolves itself before too long.

TURKEY - Superliga (1)

Borjan has officially( temporarily, we hope) lost his starting job at Sivasspor to 31 y/o Turk Atilla Koca. Koca has the stats of a career back-up/ lower leaguer so hopefully that and the fact that he let in 6 goals to Kayserispor today (6-2 final) will help Milan draw into the starting eleven. There's something vaguely Lars Hirschfeld at Cluj about this situation what with the eastern club with shady reputation and the expensive foreign status of the Canadian keeper. Let's hope this resolves itself before too long.

Borjan didn't really play that well in his first couple of games with Sivaspor though and then he got red carded and suspended so this obviously gave the other guy a chance. Unfortunately for Milan, despite the 6 goals really only one of them could be blamed on the keeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpHTVk3fTKk

SWEDEN

Vlad Vukovic's Boden BK (div1 North - tier 3) put an exclaimation mark on and already lousy season yesterday in a 4-0 loss to Uppsala side Sirius. Two goals were a direct result of cough ups by the goalkeeper and one was on a penalty.

I took in the match and have a number of video clips of VV that I hope to piece together at a later time. The green shirts from Boden lined up with what appeared to be a 4-5-1 formation with Vlad playing in a sort of offensive-oriented left midfield. He handled almost all set pieces (corners and free-kicks), and did have some dominating runs down the left flank, but he didn't always get the opportunities or service on the left side. Boden kept trying to win the middle of the park, but Sirius dominated at center back and center mid.

Vlad was given the nod as Boden's Man-of-the-Match which was rightly deserved... but again, it could've been even better had his teammates really provided him with more outlet passes. He had a creative touch and often could work his way out of tight duels. On the downside, he didn't always track back, but that seemed somehow reasonable when playing for a team that was a bit of a punching bag. By my amateur assessment, he has some tools to be a good midfielder in a pro-league (like the Championship, or even MLS).

Boden finished 13th in the 14 team Div 1 North. They will be demoted to Div 2 next year and likely without their Bosnian/Canadian midfielder who I hope finds brighter pastures elsewhere.

post-2929-139465253527_thumb.jpg

Archived