Goal line technology

Cheeta

It's a whole to-do about nothing. Goal-line technology wouldn't have ruled-out Henry's "goal" nor would it have allowed Messi's goal last Wednesday against Arsenal to stand. I estimate that it might correct 2-3% of poor decisions that directly result in a goal or non-goal.

• 3 weeks later...

FIFA postponed a decision for another year, due to proposed systems not meeting their criteria.

In other FIFA business, it was unanimously agreed by the board that the wearing of snoods will no longer be permitted from July 2011. Mr Blatter said: “It was not even a discussion because this is not part of the equipment and it can also be dangerous”. While the IFAB also agreed that the colour of undershorts or tights worn must be the same colour as the shorts.

• 2 years later...

Well, If he promises not to screw with the Current European Winter schedule to accomodate Qatar 2022, he'll have my vote!

On a serious note;

"Champagne takes the opposite view to UEFA President Michel Platini, who fears recent approval for goal-line technology will lead to video replay and remove the human element of decision-making by match officials."

Napoleaon seems to forget that all decisions will still have to be subject to "the opinion of the match officials" not all of the Pundits on TV. In cricket and rugby they have managed to bring in technology to the enhancment of the officials credibility. I wonder if some fear that too many Football refs are really just out of their depths?

Personally of the tech advancements I'd personally champion, would be the field microphone. Certainly help curb some of the foul mouth abuse that the ref get.

Personally of the tech advancements I'd personally champion, would be the field microphone. Certainly help curb some of the foul mouth abuse that the ref get.

That would be great, but sadly the TV and radio will be bleeping all the colorful expletives! Referees and assistants already carry a two-way radio so it would not take much to open those mikes.

Yep thats the Point.

Still the bleeping would show up some for the overbearing arrogant pains in the backside that they are.

The inferance has always been that you have to cut soccer players some slack because, unlike the blokes who play 'rugger' they are ignorant and foulmouthed working class types, who know no better. Well, sorry my dads a truck driver and my mother's an assistant librarian (neither was a Hamster nor smealt of elderberries). Can't say in all my playing days I swore at any ref.

Imagine the PR people who handel the worst offenders would have their changes into finishing schools and anger management classes quicker than you can say, "I say ref, would you mind reviewing that offside as soon as possible, there's a good chap? Thanks awfully"

Archived