Footy Show boys discussing supporting Canada

zeelaw

I always support Canada and watch all the games but it would really be hard to cheer for Canada if we ever played Serbia, I've been following Serbia since birth and only started supporting Canada later in my life. I guess I would just try to emotionality detach myself from the game but I think that would be pretty impossible hahah I hope the two teams meet at the World Cup so that way I'll be happy no matter what.

I always support Canada and watch all the games but it would really be hard to cheer for Canada if we ever played Serbia, I've been following Serbia since birth and only started supporting Canada later in my life. I guess I would just try to emotionality detach myself from the game but I think that would be pretty impossible hahah I hope the two teams meet at the World Cup so that way I'll be happy no matter what.

You were born and raised in Serbia though right? I mean can't really blame you there but I and others just have a problem with people who have no character whatsoever and support their parents (or any) country over Canada... its absolutely ridiculous to think! I would be sick to my stomach if I cheered for another country but my own, we live in the greatest country on earth, so what if our national association doesn't have money or if Josh Simpson isn't on the cover of FIFA 12 its called being a stand up person and not a little glory hunting wuss. Being a Canadian soccer fan shows you the true Canadians in this country imo, it means something to be from this country something that is a lot bigger than most people realize.

Personally I was born and raised in South Korea for first 13 years of my life and followed their national team since the 1986 World Cup. At the same time, that's when I discovered CMNT but my unequivocal support didn't come until their run at 2007 Gold Cup. Since then, CMNT became my #1 team and ever since, I bleed red and white. Why? that's what heart tells me... I know it's freakin corny but that's the way it is.

Lots of hyphenated Canadians will say they support, say, Portugal first and Canada second. If that really were the case, we'd be doing just fine since it is only on the rarest of occasions that they would have to choose between the two. But in 99% of case, it's really country of ancestry first, and Canada not at all.

In other words, if you support Germany first and Canada second, welcome aboard. As long as you actually support Canada.

You were born and raised in Serbia though right? I mean can't really blame you there but I and others just have a problem with people who have no character whatsoever and support their parents (or any) country over Canada... its absolutely ridiculous to think! I would be sick to my stomach if I cheered for another country but my own, we live in the greatest country on earth, so what if our national association doesn't have money or if Josh Simpson isn't on the cover of FIFA 12 its called being a stand up person and not a little glory hunting wuss. Being a Canadian soccer fan shows you the true Canadians in this country imo, it means something to be from this country something that is a lot bigger than most people realize.

I would say it means something to be part of this country, not necessarily from it. On that note part of any community, anywhere.

Archived