Canadians abroad: January 7-13, 2011

DJT

Jaime's had an interesting last few days. Two 90 minute shifts. A 7-nil tonking at the hands of Chelsea and a huge 1st-leg victory over Arsenal and a clean sheet. He's got to be on top of the RB depth chart for Canada at this point.

Him and Pozniak. Peters is just starting to get minutes again. Pozniak had a whole season of 90 minute games at the Right Back position this year.

I agree - smart play overall by Peters tonight - saw most of the game - his lovely long ball lob (typical Sunday pub-football play, as they reported after the game) should have led to a second goal for Ipswich. I felt that a few times he rushed his pass just a bit along the wing and gave away easy possession, but I suspect the coach had clear instructions to not mess about against Arsenal.

Twice during the match after making a pass, Peters made runs along the wing to try to get the return pass and get some offensive pressure going. But on both of those occasions, The boys lost possession and Peters had to track back. He looked a bit winded near the end, but pushed hard to win a hard tackle against Walcott (or Gibbs) right at the end - he gave up a corner, but it was a well timed challenge.

As much as I love the Gunners, I was all for the upset tonight. The Gunners were a shadow of themselves and really have relied on Nasri for any energy this season. Poor showing - Martin Keowne was right embarrased - and had nothing good to say about his old team.

Is Straith fully healthy, I wonder? Seems strange that even in a friendly he is starting on the bench and used sparingly.

As far as I know he is healthy. Typical winter break stuff though, start the bench players in the first 1 or 2 exhibition games (and typically have the starters come on at the half), and then give more and more time to the starters as the break nears its end (they are back in action the weekend after next).

Jordan Santiago, who's contract was extended until the end of the season, played in a reserve game earlier this week for Cardiff City. A 2-1 win over Exeter. Jordan made a fine save in the victory.

Martin John was also playing and was apparently responsible for the goal.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2011/01/12/danny-drinkwater-comes-through-reserve-team-workout-91466-27970470/

^^

ENGLAND - LEAGUE CUP:

Ipswich 1 - 0 Arsenal

Jaime Peters with a busy game at right-back, and overall a very creditable performance by our man. Battled well, defended smartly and played some good balls going forward. It has to be said that some of his passes went astray, and Theo Walcott did get in behind him dangerously once - but considering the quality of the opposition (Walcott, Arshavin, Chamakh, Fabregas, etc..) - a very respectable clean sheet.

Wouldn't mind seeing Jaime get a full run at RB vs. Greece after this performance. Straith has hardly been playing, Stalteri even less so and Hutch is far too valuable in the middle for us. Plus, we haven't ever really given Jaime at proper run-out at RB.

Jaime rated a 6/10 vs Arsenal with commentator Richard Parry saying:

"A natural winger, he offered the hosts a strong overlap option on the right flank."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/55471/ipswich-town-vs-arsenal/player-ratings

Archived